458 going in for paint correction and ceramic coating | FerrariChat

458 going in for paint correction and ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Chadwick Ferrari, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I am taking the 458 into the shop this week for paint correction and ceramic coating. First time doing this, so I would appreciate a gut check from this group if you don’t mind.

They described it as a “step and a half”, so more than one stage but not fully 2. There are swirls, but otherwise the paint is pretty clean.

The car has Xpel from a few years ago on bumper, hood and mirrors. They think it’s in good condition and don’t recommend replacing it at this time.

I’m doing the ceramic coating as well. They indicated that doing the ceramic on top of the existing Xpel would be fine.

Cost is 1,800 and the shop is reputable, they do a lot of Ferrari’s, Lambos, classics etc.

From my research the cost seems slightly high but not overly so.

Anything stand out as a concern or issue on the basis of what I described? I’m excited about the end result, but nervous as hell about anything being done to the paint.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    unless you drive the car as a daily i wldnt go ceramic. ceramic is for "protection". A car that is in the garage 90% of the time doesnt need ceramic. my 2 cents.

3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    If you have swirls aren't they in the paint clear coat layer, what would any type of polishing on top of xpel do?

4. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    Not much, but the swirls are in other areas of the car. So, not much effect on the xpel itself.

5. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I'll definitely drive it a lot. Daily, probably not. Several times a week? I sure hope so.

Think I should still do the paint correction?

6. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My 458 is having same work done in June. I’m in MA and was quoted 1300.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Shamile, peteficarra and of2worlds like this.
  8. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    bball16 likes this.
  9. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nothing to fear with a reputable shop touching your paint. It will look so much better after a paint correction than you can imagine! Everything I own is ceramic coated and I love the ease of maintenance and the self cleaning and hydrophobic properties of the coatings. IMO, do it and don’t look back!

Chadwick Ferrari likes this.
  10. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I did mine myself 2 1/2 years ago. I figure it took 30-40 hours to do a two-stage paint correction and application of the coating (Kamikaze ISM) Like the best wax job you ever had and it stays looking like that. A couple of spritzes of Overcoat (Kamikaze's sacrificial coating) on a microfiber towel and wipe down after a wash and the deep shine really pops. I have been super happy with the result going on three years now. Good luck with yours.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chadwick Ferrari and bball16 like this.
  11. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    Encouraging feedback, thanks everyone. I’ll take it in today and pick it up a Friday. Can’t wait to see it..

12. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    I just had my 2015 458 Spider done ...Ceramic Pro is by far the best product on the market.....literally never wax your car again...depending on how many layers you get ...the 9H layer is the last coat put on and it makes the paint look so much richer....a deeper Rosso Corsa red.....

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Shamile and of2worlds like this.
  14. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Anyone has experience with ceramic coating on a car that already has a clear film?

15. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My ceramic is over the Suntek clear bra. It looks great.

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I know for me I had a major paint correction on my 599GTO which involved wet sanding the paint while monitoring the paint thickness etc. but the net effect was an unbelievable show quality paint... I did do a ceramic paint protection in and really made a difference .. I did not do any wrap except on the front bumper .. I know on this car the factory paint was terrible I posted pictures in the 599 GTO picture thread a while back

of2worlds and bball16 like this.
  17. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I agree.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Can you explain how this makes any sense? Why wld ceramic over a sticker do anything substantial?

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

19. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have no idea how it works, but it sure looks incredible.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh you guys are who are paying people to detail the sticker are literally burning the money. Better off going putting it on black or red.

21. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Ceramic coating makes it easier to maintain and clean. If you put it on a clearbra, it will make maintaining and cleaning that clearbra easier. I ceramic coat almost all my vehicles just for the convenience it adds. The difference between a ceramic coated vehicle and a non coated vehicle is quite noticeable.

With that said, ceramic coating offers no form of physical protection, no matter what your detailer says. Swirls, rock chips, and scratches will still occur. What it does offer is chemical protection against the likes of bug splatters, bird poop, or water spots.

Cgk360 likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Making something easy to maintain is one thing. Making it look better is another. There is no scientific/rational explanation on how ceramic can enhance the look of a sticker. It's one thing to say ceramic enhances the paint, but how can one say it enhances the look of the paint below the sticker?

23. AussieSurfer

AussieSurfer Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Shane Dorney
    I’m waiting on a 488 GTB and deciding on the same issue. Does the ceramic coating give a shinier surface as well as ease of cleaning? And should the paint protective film go on before or after? Appreciate your views on this.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds and bball16 like this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    getting my popcorn out for this....

timjen88 likes this.
  25. Johnny Martin

Johnny Martin Rookie

Feb 6, 2018
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I had my 458 done with suntek clear bra and it looks amazing. The maintenance is a breeze. I’m very happy I had it done.

bball16 likes this.