250 LM Picture Thread | Page 31 | FerrariChat

250 LM Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Arvin Grajau, Jun 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Furmano,

racing cars in the 50s and 60s were...tools! They were made only for one simple reason: to become a potential winner!
    No race car ever in its period saw the finish line in restored condition.

If you would have asked a mechanic from that period he would not even understand the word "restoration".

Lusso123 and TTR like this.
  2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I get ya.

It was just my impression "every" significant Ferrari from that era has already been restored and are kept in that restored state.

But looking at photos of 250 LM's from the various shows and events over the last decade, many of them seem to have an "original" or at least a "not recently" restored interior. Unlike most Lusso's or most P-cars or most SWB's or most (all?) GTO's or whatever vintage model you can think of that are mostly (all?) shown or rallied in pristine condition.

I was just surprised to see worn the out interiors, different from just about every other Ferrari from that era that is "out in the wild" (not talking about barn finds).

-F

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Apart from possibly 6025 did any leave the factory with the weight adding interior quilted lining?

4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

You're welcome. Note that at Le Mans, the seats were black with Gray cloth inserts as shown.

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    NürScud, amenasce, GHG and 6 others like this.
  6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    P.S. That's the final remains of 0647GT in the back of pic no. 1, before it went to Rudi Klein's Porche-Foreign (sic).
    One day I was at the shop and Sal had to test drive Hart's car, so I went along. We got stopped for speeding on the 405, by an angry cop. He really got mad as he started to lecture me and then he realized the I didn't have a steering wheel!
    I think the other LM may have been my 5909; not sure.

Lusso123, of2worlds, F1tommy and 2 others like this.
  7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    On 5909 - before you sold it to Sony or after buying it back?

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Before. Sonny trashed the trans, and then sold the car to a body man who was a Lola freak. He had cut the tops of the front fenders to widen the car! He had a shop fire, and some of his friends lifted 5909 out a window. My wheels got burned up, so I bought Hart's chrome set. 5909 has been restored several times!

9. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Thank you for the correction. At the 1965 Le Mans Did #5893 have black headlight sockets or were they silver?

-F

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Potentially the most times restored LM (at least trues at times in the past). Something was done to make it look as nice in the photos of pre-Sonny. Knoop had it done by Griswold to a standard of best for its day. Obriest had it completely redone. Don't know if it has been redone again (or multiple times) since that ownership.

11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Silver.

12. Chuck Miller

Chuck Miller Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    'nEd,
    At what point was one of the/your LM's faded gold in color?

When it was gold Sal threw me the keys and told me to re-park it from one side of the shop driveway to the other... I think I was about 17, that would make it around 1966 or '67?

....Man, think'n about drive'n an LM, even just 20 yards then... and now.... WOW!!!!

BTW- That looks like Jimmy in the white shirt in the rear shot...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller .... aka (Sal's nickname) Chuck'a'da'lighter

13. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

Cars are only original once!!!!

p

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You guys had it good. Cheap(ish) Ferraris and no speed limit, less traffic...

Lusso123 likes this.
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Around what year was that?

Going to work in a 250LM...!! So jealous.

16. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008

Hi, the seats, as you see in the pics was black with a grey cloth in the middle.It is ok for the "quilted" black around.

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I remember the LeMans winner on display at the Petersen in the 1990s. It was flat out decrepit, abused and beat on. It was no where close to post LeMans, it was post every race afterwards with all the damages and part changes that ensued.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  18. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    The Indianapolis Speedway Museum had Bruce Canepa's firm do a lot of detail corrections and cleaning of the car prior to it's appearance at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago.

19. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I know, I get ya.

Having some original patina from a significant race is one thing. A clapped out, tired, broke ass interior that looks like junk is another. In some cases it's best to just move on and restore.

-F

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, agreed. But certain basic items were still somewhat.....barely intact. It lead a hard life.

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Dyke, I remember that showing, and also remember that for some odd reason, the font of the new race numbers that were put on the car was completely wrong. I always wondered how anyone could have gotten that wrong..... But at least since then/now that mistake has been corrected.

22. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  23. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yes, Chuck, 5909 was gold when I bought it in the bay area and drove it home. I had it painted red, as I figured it would be a tough car to sell, and near impossible in gold. And yes, Sal had his own names for many of us. I was "Il Duce". I never knew if I should be flattered or not, as that was what they called Benito Mussolini, Dictator of Italy during the war years. His own people strung him up at war's end. Well, nobody has strung me up. Yet. On that subject, I'm planning on a premature death. Hell, I'm only 93. CIAO, and CIAO-FM.

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Ok since you have owned more Ferraris than most ever will and the best ones too...what is your favorite from the ones you owned? Which one do you regret selling th most and which one is the one you always wanted or really wanted but never owned? Pics would be tremendously appreciated!

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The space between patina and bad condition is very small!