Weight saving on 360/F430 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Weight saving on 360/F430 ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Mar 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I betting it will weight in at 2500 to 2450 :)

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    How do you drive it with no seats or dash ?

4. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Mase engineering is going to have some time decoding out the ECUs from all the systems we deleted . I would like to see some good pics of your car inside and out , mind so be back on the road in a few weeks one year down

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    What systems did you delete ? Are you keeping a weight saving diary? Would be fantastic to post differences. The whole air injection, pump, etc, can be deleted if you get mase to disable air injection in ECU firmware. Then you can use lightweight headers and cats too.

6. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Mase said he may need to keep my car for a week or so, decode out air bags, anit theft , power windows doors evap and secondary

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Airbags only effects dashboard clocks, a resistor trick can stop light triggering but you can also remove airbag ecu entirely, wiring the lot. Even without patching firmware you can just cut track to the led. Be aware some places you cannot do this legally so check with your local laws. Airbags with harnesses make no sense. Windows has a seperate ECU which dont trigger any lights and are not monitored. You cannot remove ECU if you want to Keep
    Power locks as it's combined but will do no harm if you fit lexan side windows to just leave it in, not very heavy. Same for alarm siren and tilt sensor, can be removed without problems. Only tricky one on list is immobilizer, can be done by either Messing with immo settings in eeprom on ignition ECUs or patching it out completely from firmware flashed. Be aware without immo you may invalidate any theft insurance.

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Trev thanks again I have already remove air bag ecu and dash cables wend we where installing all new CS harness, from dash front compartment and the upper dash harness even asr cable , pedal cable F1 harness LH tunnel cable, even shock ecu and so on. And you are spot on about the four point harness and roll bar wend strap in the air bags will never touch in a collision. If you are thinking about all the harness I replace would be a ton of money ? there is a trick I figured out go to Ferrparts and Eurosparse there are about five efferent part numbers for the same F1 harness cable the price is from 5800.00 to 633.00 they are the same cables.. Wend I bought my F1 harness for 633.00 I was thought there has to be some thing not right it was perfect .

9. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Man! I just love it when people leave their comfort zone and do something different!

10. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great info , thank you . Is there a difference in the harnesses LHD to RHD ?

11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    not on the F1 harness same LHD to RHD Eurospares are by far the best to deal with, my go to guy there Neil

12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I put the my 360 on a set of scales after I removed all carpet and insulation and replace new CS interior alcantara it weight in at 2840 pounds .... I will have reweigh again after removing air bags secondary air system and evap the stock battery and replace with light weight Odyessey and removal of stock battery tray and replace aluminum race battery tray and all Lexan glass for the doors and rear glass and Euro spec new factory front and rear bumpers and much to mention now we estimate another we shed another 400 pounds real close now to weigh in at 2450 2500 pounds may be less
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifosi101 likes this.
  13. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    #41 deimh, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Trev

Firstly thanks for all the fantastic info in this post (as well as your many other posts) - it is wonderful that you gurus share your knowledge with those of us less capable!

I am coming from this in a slightly different way and instead of trying to lighten a road-going F360/F430 I am just kicking off the process of road-registering my F360 and F430 Challenge.

I do quite a bit of historic racing (mainly single seaters) and don't care for the "softness" of modern supercars (just my personal view-point, so please don't flame me) and hence I want a proper "road-racer" that is as much of a snarling brute as possible.

The F360 Challenge is the last one that Ferrari built and was never raced and still has less than 1000 miles on it. Hence I would like to keep this "standard". However, I'm thinking of playing about with the F430 Challenge a little and driving that quite a lot.

In addition I have a crashed F430 Challenge, which I bought as a "lifetime" of spares and after seeing your analysis of bhp/tonne it got me thinking whether I could rebuild / upgrade the engine out of the crashed F430 Challenge and try and reach the bhp/tonne of the La Ferrari. By my calcs I would need to get 590hp out of the F430 engine - see below:

Ferrari Model -- kg -- bhp -- bhp/ton
    F360 CH -- 1170 -- 427 -- 365
    F430 CH -- 1185 -- 503 -- 424
    La Ferrari -- 1585 -- 789 -- 498
    F430 CH Mod -- 1185 -- 590 -- 498

I don't have the weight of the F430 Challenge, so I assumed it was 15kg more than the F360 Challenge - is that about right?

The plan could also include removing the front half of the roll-cage (which I estimate a weighting saving of about 35kg) and this would reduce the bhp needed down to 572bhp.

So what are your (and others') thoughts on getting 572 - 590 bhp from a F430 Challenge engine (without adding forced induction), and what would the best route be this horsepower gain be?

Thanks
    Dave

PS As everyone likes pics - some of the F360 and F430 Challenge cars in their hibernation state and the crashed F430 Challenge in a less peaceful state...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    600 from the F136 is achievable. I'm currently putting together parts for a 600@9k RPM build .

Your best bet is to find a builder with experience - some of the later Scuderia GT3s ran air-shift in place of the F1 system and 4.8l displacement made some interesting figures.

Bas likes this.
  15. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Does anybody know what items are absent on a 1999 US Modena compared to all other years for the US models other than the secondary air system and precats in headers?

16. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Mark

Thanks for your input - I am a huge fan of yours and I have followed all your builds on the "other " forum - fantastic work and brilliant determination!

Is there any chance of following your lead (i.e. tagging along) on your engine rebuild? I will drop you a PM...

Thanks again and appreciate the input and advice!

Cheers
    Dave

17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Dave! Of course. I can out you in contact with the guy porting my heads and regrinding the cams.

Mark

18. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    That would be brilliant - thanks!

PM sent....

19. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Trev, header question: if when I solve the precat issue by installing precatless headers and relocating the sensors to a downsteam location on aftermarket cats to avoid a CEL, if I delete the air injector system as well, will there be much weight savings? And will it cause a CEL I can't get rid of without using your upcoming tool? Thanks!

360trev likes this.
  20. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not a bad idea for some, but not all.

22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Pm me and I help. The cat efficiency delete via my Swiss Army Knife SAK tool works 100% across all 360s and F430s including CS and Scud. Can also do air injection delete too no problems.

Dewinator and G. Pepper like this.