Scuderia 16M or 458 spider | FerrariChat

Scuderia 16M or 458 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Beppe, Apr 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beppe

Beppe Rookie

Mar 30, 2018
    I am undecided between a scuderia 16m or a 458 spider 2014-2015 loaded with options.
    Both with very low miles . It will be a weekend car to drive under the Florida sun.
    I love the classic look of the 16M , the engine sound ,the spartan interiors. It is a special car ,the end of an era. But I like also the 458 spider .I can’t afford both but one of the two I can.Two different cars in price too.
    Recently I drove a scuderia 16m with less then 2000 miles,beautiful experience.I almost bought one four years ago and I regret I didn’t. Now the cost is over 400.000$ with tax. I can still afford but I think is overpriced like the 458 speciale A.
    For 270.000$ I can get the 458 spider loaded.More a modern car but maybe not so special like the 16M
    My intention is to keep either one for years to come and enjoy driving.
    I don’t know what to do , my wife prefer the 458 because more practical and more modern.But she told is up to me what to chose.Really I don’t know , I like both.
    Any suggestions? What you will do?

2. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
  3. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree Koop, but am biased since I own a Scud. Beppe, like you I passed on a pristine 16M about 5 years ago and kick myself every day for not buying it. It was $250K at the time. Oh well. Another perspective: the 16M is a limited edition car whereas the 458 was made in large numbers. If you want to buy and hold for a long time as an investment, I think the 16M will continue to appreciate. 458 are holding values pretty well because they are Ferrari's last NA mid engined V8, but the mass production aspect will likely keep its appreciation curve fairly flat. Both are super reliable cars that you can drive frequently and maintenance doesn't eat you alive. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

4. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    16M is such a special event each and every time at low speeds and high. Top down it is an amazing visceral experience. The super fast is the highest evolution of F1 and really makes the case as to why Pagani wanted it in his price no object cars.

458 Spider is a fantastic car don't get me wrong and what I say is in no way intended to take anything away from it. The combination of refinement and driveability with that naturally aspirated howling V8 is nothing to sneeze at.

It is just that the 16M is such a special car that will make you grin every time. Personally I think the f430 design is ageing extremely well. Especially that interior--with it's lack of screens and extra gizmos I think it has the chance to be timeless.

That is my two cents anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ttn27 and Cgk360 like this.
  5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The lack of rigidity in the 458 Spider seems such a backwards step from the 360/F430. The 16M is a far more special, and better drivers car.

6. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    I just picked up my 16M from the dealer off its annual service after a long winter nap.
    I have driven or owned most all of the current supercars save a Bugatti Chiron (Which frankly isnt in my interest)
    I could not stop smiling watching the LEDs fire up and listening to that sound. The all carbon interior is so race-like and kool, and absolutely nothing sounds like a 16M. It is the loudest and best sounding road car I have ever driven. The F! Superfast actually pins you to the seat in race mode.
    I think you see what my choice would be.

bupilot and Cgk360 like this.
  7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is a 360/430 forum, so of course most are going to say 16M. Aside from that fact, the 16M is a low-production special that will only climb in value while the 458 will continue to depreciate. The 458 is common by comparison, both in terms of production numbers and experience. No contest in my mind.

Zcobra1 and galt like this.
  8. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Just curious, how different is the exhaust noise in the 16M from a regular F430? Visually, I know the exhaust tips come out the rear center on the Scuds, but other than that, is the system worldly different than on the ones on the F430's?

Personally, if I was intending to drive the car frequently and accumulate a good amount of miles, the 458 might be the better choice. I would think a limited production, rare Ferrari like the 16M is more susceptible to mileage devaluation, and therefore, might be driven much less.

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'm absolutely certain that look at the values of both cars in ten years from now and the rare 16M will be into the stratosphere wheres the 458 will just be another model in Ferrari's evolution

Zcobra1, galt and E60 M5 like this.
  10. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    16M all day long...

I wonder, however, what the values of those respective cars might be with 30,000 miles put on them over the next 10 years(for example) if the 16M would have a lower total cost of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galt likes this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    16M is one of the hottest cars ever made IMO.

12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    You will like the 458 spider. You save $130,000 in your scenario. Invested at 10% over four years, you make over $52,000. In that time, 458 spider maybe goes down and 16M maybe goes up, but you have a smile from driving a great car, and your wife is happier as she prefers the 458.

Under $410,000, if I could only get one Ferrari, it would be the Challenge Stradale. Having said that, I love the 16M. My advice to you is based more on you having one fun car to buy, one wife’s opinion, and a stated bias on value/price in your post saying you think 16M is overpriced like Speciale A.

To be clear though, for me, I choose 16M.

13. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Isn't a 16M a lot more money than a 458 Spider? It's an apples and oranges comparison. I'd take the 16M if they were both the same price.

blackbolt22 likes this.
  14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i think the 16m is more visceral and special (limited edition) and also costs a bit more. I thought about it as well but am worried that I wont be driving it much due to the depreciation, after all it's a pretty expensive car to me and I do care about how much it's costing me. The 458 spider is at least 30-40% cheaper, more modern, reliable and easier to get into, but lacks that analogue visceral feel. It also loses the engine view which I thought is a big bonus to the 16m. My experience with f430 spider and italia also gives off the sense that the 458 is more reliable and cost less headaches to upkeep. If you want a driver's car I would go with italia or even the f430 spider for even less money which is more visceral than the 458...for exclusivity and rarity go with 16m. If you want a driver's 16m get the highest mileage one out there so you can forget about preserving miles

Afonsolaw likes this.
  15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    16 m. no doubt about it.

galt likes this.
  16. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I would do whatever it is that I wanted to do since it is my money...
    Do whatever puts a smile in your face.

17. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    16M no question is more special and no doubt would be my choice. I also regret not pulling the trigger on a perfectly-spec'd 4 years ago for $240. I had just bought my 360 and figured give it a year before buying another one...I have never actually driven a 16M but have driven a Scud and 458 a bunch and the Scud (and, I assume, 16M) is just a special experience even compared to other super cars. So for me, there's no doubt, and I'm pretty sure I'll own a 16M before too long as I see their prices softening a bit over the last year.

Having said all that. the 16M and Scud are occasion cars...cars to take out specifically for drives and to enjoy a unique driving experience. If I was looking for a car to drive daily or take with my wife on long road trips/vacations, I don't think the 16M is optimal and would go for the 458 Spider instead. The 458 is just so much more comfortable in so many ways, and is a very enjoyable GT when you want it to be that can also rip when you want that.

No bad decision.

18. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I don't view the 458 as a daily driver by any means (or any supercar for that matter). I just can't see myself sitting in a 458 (or even in my F430 Spider) in bumper-to-bumper traffic or commuting through narrow city streets in heavy traffic. It's just not comfortable or fun.

In my opinion, the only Ferrari that can handle daily driving all year-round is the FF and the new GTC4 Lusso. They are made for that.

I see the 16M as more of an investment, not for driving.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  19. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    16m
    Drive both and it will become clear
    Fastforward 10 years and even more clarity
    No brainer

galt likes this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have a 16M and a 458 Spider.
    Both are great.
    458S is everyday easy to grab the keys and go for romp in the countryside.
    16M is far more special. It is brash, it is very loud, it shifts are like shotgun fire, it has old-school gauges. The front end is gorgeous with sleek sloping fenders that don't look like the more modern ones with pressed sheet metal and all their cut-lines.
    No doubt 16M will be very sought after in the age of electric, Turbo, emissions, sound-regulated, pedestrian-safety Eurolibtard World.

galt likes this.
  21. LewBlevins

LewBlevins Rookie

Mar 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lewis S Blevins, jr

Investment? Then you care more for money than sheer fun. Drive the cars fellas!!! When you're in hospice one day you'll wish you did.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  22. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Havjng your cake and eating it too isn't so bad.

Somehow it makes it makes all that little bit .or sweet when you get to enjoy it AND you don't lose much money...

MaranelloDave likes this.
  23. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    If you want a special and more raw experience get the 16M. If you want a more modern, more refined and smooth Ferrari get the 458 spider. Either way you can’t go wrong. It’s a Ferrari after all.

24. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    If you want to drive the car and have fun go with the 458 spider if you care about an investment in your vehicle then buy the 16M and look at it in the garage.

galt likes this.
  25. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    IMHO, I would say one of the reasons to get the 16M and why it is a good investment is because it is quite fun! An "experience" every time.

Afonsolaw likes this.