246 Owner here ... but want to ask your opinions on a ... | FerrariChat

246 Owner here ... but want to ask your opinions on a ...

Discussion in '206/246' started by Neelfryer, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

I read through a lot of threads in the 355 section here on F-Chat

and - its a bit nuts over there

I feel like I would be inciting a riot

So I want to ask you good folks about your experience(s)

with the ownership and care of a 355

I will start by saying there is a 1996 6 Speed car with 12k miles that I am seriously looking at

Is 1996 a bad year?

The stickies are perfect on this car

Thoughts?

experience?

opinions?

2. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    I've actually been in the same mindset as you, would love to have a nice 355 next to the Dino. I've only driven one a few times, but as far as I'm concerned it's a really, really good drivers car and an excellent supplement to the Dino. Not too sure about the model year, but I know that the 355's were one of the first models where Ferrari really up'ed their quality control. Running costs shouldn't be too bad, but make sure that known faults have been fixed on such a low mileage car. EVO have a pretty good buyers guide here http://www.evo.co.uk/ferrari/20974/ferrari-f355-review-specs-and-buying-guide

On a personal note, I am pretty sure that the 355 and the 550 will be some of the last truly collectible F-cars in the future. Do it. Just do it:).

LARRYH likes this.
  3. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Not really sure why you would incite a riot in the 355 section but it seems that would be the place to get your questions answered. I can only add that early 355's had serious issues with valve guides and headers.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have never owned a 355 but have driven them and spoken to a lot of owners and mechanics about them. The 355 is a great looking and sounding modern Ferrari but it also is potentially among the most expensive to own. There are a number of well documented problem areas that can be very expensive to address and can cause catastrophic collateral damage. Ownership of a 355 is not for the timid but the upside is a modern car experience while still having a lot of the analogue perks of an older Ferrari like a Dino.

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree. I would think a 355 owner could give better insights on ownership experiences. I love the 355 from a visual perspective. I have heard from someone at Ferrari that the parts support for the 355 vs the 360 is very low from Ferrari. That would be a concern. It’s difficult enough with a Dino!

Ever wonder why most 355’s are so low mileage?

Freeman

6. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I was told that the engine has to be removed to change the timing belts, and the timing belts don't last 50,000 miles. Very expensive. I drove a 355 once. I love driving it as long as it belongs to someone else.

7. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    these are great responses

I will wade into the discussions over there

I really love the shape of the 355

It is my second favorite shape (the Dino of course the absolute #1)

There is the engine our service ordeal that everyone speaks of

I am basically steeling my courage to buy one

LARRYH likes this.
  8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    We only live once! They truly are the last beautiful, pure, analog, mid engine Ferrari. I would definitely get the 6 speed manual!

Freeman

9. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Yes definite engine out service required. If you find a 95-96 with the valve and exhaust work already completed , GTS to boot, and you should be good! Stay away form later cars particularly F1 gearboxes. They do have an amazing exhaust note though. Must be that 5th valve!!

10. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    yes

i'm only going for a gated shift car

and i am now very focused on the exhaust and valve work

this has been helpful

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I owner both a Dino and a 355.
    The 355 is to me one of the best cars Ferrari ever built. It’s beautiful, small, and powerful.
    No other Ferrari, short of the 288 & F40 have that combination. Mine is a ‘98 F1 Berlinetta.
    After a certain production number in 1998, the odds of bad valve guides is greatly diminished. It’s not a guarantee, but you should be fine. Most cars have had the headers replaced by now, so you should be good there too.
    TheF1 gearbox is actually a ton of fun when driven properly like a manual. The people who think they are clunky don’t know how to operate them. Uniquely, you can manually blip the throttle on downshifts and the tranny will do a perfect gear change. If you don’t do the throttle blip, the gear change will seem a bit clunky. Upsfifts are fierce at redline. Much more interesting than the modern gearboxes.

As far as parts and maintenance, all parts are readily available at various sources on line. More so than the Dino. Cost is not cheap, but has to be taken as a whole. The engine out is more expensive than the major on a 360 /430 but the clutch is much less expensive on a 355.
    So when you compare the two, the 355 is pretty similar to the 360 long term. It’s critical to have a good, reasonably priced Indy to do the work. If you run to the dealer for this stuff, you’re going to get killed financially.

Aside from Headers & Valve guides (1998 on is better) there are no issues with the 355 that other cars don’t have too.

Many people are either scared by old horror stories they read online or the engine out service. I originally was too. If you read the 355 section you may be scared away too. In reality, the car is solid and one of the greatest drivers Ferrari’s of all time. If you can change the fluids on your Dino, you can do the same to the 355. Just budget 8 to 10k every 5 to 6 years for the engine out service. This service is also a lot more than a belt change. This motor is as close to a race motor that Ferrari had put into a commercially sold car for the time. It screams to 8500 rpm and operates very close to the edge ! That necessitates a thorough service periodically. To be able to buy such an incredible car for 80k still is pretty amazing. Don’t buy it to make money on it. Buy it for one of the best experiences out there. F1 included.

12. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    skip

that's a great post

the car i am looking at is a 1996

with 12k miles

which is great

but also

maybe not great

IF

the engine has never been out and the valve issue exists

do you think that i pay for a PPI

the car is in Florida

with a dealer

2 things i don't always love

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Looks good to my eyes. Fuel block recall done which is important. The stickies on the dash gauge surrounds isn’t done to a high standard. Looks wiped off with alcohol istead of professional refinish. No big deal though. Stickies are annoying, but not something to worry much about. Find out what type headers were put on.

You need to get the assembly number on the left side of the engine bay to confirm valve guides. Here’s the info.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Get a compression and leakdown test if you want to know for sure. Those won’t be included in a normal ppi. Take it all with a grain of salt. If it passes the tests you’re good to go.

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 msdesignltd, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I have had both..
    In addition to what has been said, I have one comment..
    The Dino ride and suspension and clutch to gear selector comfort level in the dino is pre historic...buts thats the beauty..
    The ride comfort and gear shift to clutch comfort is off the charts on the 355..I just could not get over the comfort the 355 drive train and chassis has..
    Having both in one garage could not create too more distant a feel..
    Also low end torque on both leaves a lot to be desired.
    My 96 and my 74

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Two of the best ever

19. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    this is great info

great advice

let me report back

20. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    John,

Check out the 355 on BAT. 1999, under 20K miles

21. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

thanks for the heads up

but i wanted a gated trans

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    John,
    Don’t be scared of the F1. They are great fun once you learn how to competently drive one. Manual throttle blips, heel and toe downshifts, etc.

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    As nice as the F1 gearbox is, its nice that there’s a choice with the F355 vs any new Ferrari.

24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I agree. The 355 is not cheap to maintain, but the entry point is very low compared to most and is a fantastic driving experience.