Chicago Speeding/DUI Attorney recommendations | FerrariChat

Chicago Speeding/DUI Attorney recommendations

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by wildcat326, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My friend's father was arrested last week for DUI. He clipped a stationary car turning into his own driveway on an unlit street at night, and the other owner was angry enough to call the police and demand his arrest. He'd had ONE beer, but is an 80-year-old recent stroke survivor and suffers slurred speech as a result. English is also his second language. His BAC was under the legal limit. Yet they hauled him for drunk driving. He didn't understand (or perhaps wasn't told) that he had the right to decline a breathalyzer, and they stated that because of his slurred speech he was clearly intoxicated.

I've seen threads here on good attorneys for speeding in IL, so can anyone here recommend a good attorney to represent him for something like this?

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No offense, and not a lawyer, but your story seems a bit strange...

His BAC was under the legal limit... Great.

He didn't understand (or perhaps wasn't told) that he had the right to decline a breathalyzer... Lucky he didn't. If he was under the limit as you claim,... taking the test was THE BEST THING HE DID!

Unless there is more to the story,... seems like a simple insurance matter.

3. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Agree w/ the previous poster. If he did the breathalyzer and was under the limit, wouldn't that help his case?

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You would think, but it still registered some alcohol content, and he has slurred speech because of the stroke, so they charged him with driving under the influence regardless. I was out with the friend when we got the call, and I can tell you there's nothing more to the story. But I remembered the thread here about good attys for speeding violations in Illinois, so figured someone might have a good recommendation.

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    FWIW .08 is merely a guideline and not the end all and be all. You can be charged with DUI even if your BAC is under .08.

6. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    An attorney is first and foremost an officer of the court (i.e. their main duty lies not to you, the client, but rather to the court ). They exist for the state to more easily facilitate the "case" against you. I use quotes because, in almost all traffic infractions there is no crime committed. It's too bad he clipped the car adjacent to his driveway as, otherwise, there'd be no victim.

I'd seek out a lawyer, and not a BAR attorney who's just a card-carrying member of the scumbag club (judges, prosecutors, pigs, and defense attorneys).

7. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    huh? None of your above statement makes any sense. An attorney's first duty is to his client. Second, there does not need to be a victim to have a crime. You can be arrested and convicted of a DUI even if you don't hit anyone. Same with speeding and a host of other traffic infractions.

An attorney is a lawyer who passed the bar exam and can as such practice in the state that they are admitted. Once you finish law school you are a lawyer. Once you pass the bar and register in that state you are an attorney. You can not legally represent clients as a lawyer nor can you go to court on someone's behalf. Not sure what difference you are trying to communicate, but a lawyer certainly would not be much help someone who has been arrested for a DUI. Not sure what point you are trying to communicate about attorney's, but maybe time to get back on your meds!

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Beat me to it.
    I was really scratching my head trying to comprehend that post.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Sent you a PM

10. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Wow, not sure in which law books you obtained your information from but an attorney is, by definition, an officer of the court. If their first duty were to you then why do they

1) Not file the paperwork to have the case adjudicated in a judicial proceeding rather than an administrative? In judicial their client would be protected under the Constitution, whereas in administrative a defendant basically has no rights. They've been literally pissed on.
    2) Not file motions seeking the judge's oath of office?
    3) Not file a motion for lack of jurisdiction? (this is the big one)
    4) Not motion for -- because if traffic court is criminal -- the defense has to cross-examine the injured party. Funny though, because when Absent is cruising the Tri-State at 89 mph (remembered this from another thread though speed might be incorrect) and he's pulled over, and has to go to court, no injured party can be called up to testify against him.
    5) Not contend that we've been under the Emergency War Powers Act non-stop for over 75 years and one of the resulting actions of which is that all courts are to be closed?
    6) Not ask for a copy of the verified complaint? Of course, as an attorney, you know the ticket that was given does not qualify as a verified complaint.
    7) Not know that admiralty/maritime court is not the correct venue for traffic?
    8) Not admit that they're complicit in the ongoing giant, billions-sucked-from-the-citizenry scam?

I should've used the word counsel, as opposed to lawyer.

Looks like you've been brainwashed, and should probably get off your meds so's you can begin to think a little clearly.