430 drivers door won’t open | FerrariChat

430 drivers door won’t open

Discussion in '360/430' started by willfinch36, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willfinch36

willfinch36 Rookie

Dec 16, 2014
    United Kingdom
    The exterior handle on my 430 was feeling a little “loose” for a while. However last night it finally gave up the ghost and won’t open the door, no resistance at all, just flops around - I can’t open it from the inside either, even though it does have resistance on the cable, just it is extremely difficult to pull up to its usual position! Any thoughts?! Thanks.

2. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    I recently had a related issue with my driver's door. There was too much play in the door handle. There is a adjustment that can be made to the play. You need to take the inside door panel off. There is a way to shorten the cable using a wrench. The difficult part is getting the door panel off and on. The easy part is making the adjustment. I admit that getting the panel off and on was more than my level of expertise so I had my dealer do the entire project. It cost a bunch but it fixed the problem.

3. ty423

ty423 Karting

Jun 9, 2015
    Socal OC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Probably going to have to get the new door locking mechanism. It's not terribly expensive. It'll come complete with cables too. Switching out isn't a crazy hard thing to do but if you don't have experience wrenching any good mechanic can switch it out.

4. willfinch36

willfinch36 Rookie

Dec 16, 2014
    United Kingdom
    So I guess, is it possible to take the door card/panel off while the door is closed?!

5. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pop the door arm rest cover off, you may be able to adjust the cable enough that the inside door handle can open the door. Then take off the door panel when the door is open and replace the cable or latch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
  7. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    I had exactly same problem over winter hibernation in my 360. Outdoor latch felt that it wasn't connected to anything and inside latch was "stuck". I took the car to my trusted independent and he said that they managed to get the door open simply trying open the indoor latch bit by bit. I'm not 100% sure if they used the arm rest "hole" or not but they managed to get the door open and then the door card was simply to remove. They cleaned & oiled everything with "gun oil" similar to this:

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/extreme-duty-gun-oil

And the door has worked fine ever since. At least for now there was no need to replace anything.

8. willfinch36

willfinch36 Rookie

Dec 16, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I can pull the cable manually and that doesn’t appear to open it either. I’ve noticed that when you try and open the car, either with the button or the key it automatically locks really quickly again and if you want to open the door have to be super quick! Not sure if that makes the issue any clearer?!

9. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    I had exactly same symptoms with my car. With exactly same problem with passenger side door: It could not be opened as the outside latch was really loose and inner latch had so much resistance that I had not enough courage to pull it with major force. Can't help further as I took my car to my trusted independent who eventually got the door open. But he said that he did not had to remove inner door card while the door was closed, the lock mechanism eventually opened when he worked several times inner latch with medium force and kind of "pried" it open.

I'm sorry for my poor English spelling, but I do not encourage to tackle the mechanism with too much force as there's various (expensive) parts which can break. I believe safest way is to remove the door card as much as you can and go for there. There's nice DIY tutorial with pictures somewhere around but it will take some time.