How can I get a Ferrari Loan and how much down? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How can I get a Ferrari Loan and how much down?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kenneth Ramirez, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #26 Dave rocks, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Wow tough crowd.....

I bought my first Ferrari with a loan from Penfed. I had the cash but 1.49% is pretty hard to beat.

The guy is ambitious and perhaps wants to live for today. I got my first at age 43 after always being responsible and putting business or other responsible things first.

To the OP - be smart, make good decisions and enjoy life.

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    While I would finance a portion of whatever I buy it's only because, as was mentioned before, my loan would probably be between 3.5 and 4 percent and I'm making more then that with my money invested. But I would pay at least 20% down and probably more depending on how much the car is. Newer cars don't break as much but cost more, older cars cost less up front but the maintainance could gut you. Unless you are making 6 figures or close to it already, or you win the lottery your more then likely going to be waiting a while. Oh yeah and those 12 year loans, yeah you'd be better off getting a home equity loan and buying the car that way the interest rate will more then likely be better but even then why put leverage on an asset like your home for a play toy?

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah 1.49% is hard to beat. I got lucky on some commercial equipment last year at 0% for 4 years and couldn't pass that up but seems like most loans I'm seeing for used now is aroun 3% and up.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you're just finishing school, nothing will keep you from catching up on your debts more than Ferrari ownership.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    When you get old like me, you will look back at your life, and believe me you will not see owning a Ferrari at 26 as something of any importance. You hopefully have a long road ahead of you (most of mine journey is over), and if you choose to stay on this forum, try to look at it as studying for test, and learn as much as you can, because there is a lot to know. Comes down to this at times owning a great car comes with great bills, and never forget a car does not make you anything other than a car owner. One more thing go drive an Alfa Romeo 4C, they are more fun than a lot of Ferrari's, not that expensive, rarer in many cases, and easy to maintain.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    If you do your research, Ferraris don't typically follow the depreciation cycle of most other cars. Being upside down in a Toyota Camry is just as bad as being upside down in a Ferrari. If you do your research, you can do it intelligently and methodically. I listen to Dave Ramsey and these folks call in $10k upside down in their Ford Edge, and I could sell my Ferrari today and not lose a cent. People just don't want to learn. I have never and will never be upside down in any car, yet I have always managed to drive pretty nice cars, usually with little to no down payment and always pay the loan off very early. It's been extremely tempting to go out and buy a new Corvette Grand Sport, but I know I would end up on the wrong end. Patience and research are the keys here. Some of these guys need to get off this fella's gonads.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There's nothing wrong buying a Ferrari at 26. I bought my first one at 25. I financed some of it because I wanted to build credit and I was buying a 7 yr old 355 so it wasn't going to kill me.

If you are 26 and have the means to seriously consider a Ferrari your first post wldnt be as scattered as this one. Ie, I understood how credit/financing worked.

And I wld be aware that car dealers are really banks so all I have to do is show up.

And I wld have probably searched "finance/financing/rates/lender" before I posted.

Just sayin...

And it's my belief that owning a Ferrari for as many days as humanly possible is something to strive for!

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

ryalex, paulchua and tomc like this.
  8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    They’re probably degrees in Finance.

:)

Matt

daytona355 likes this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    At 26 I had nice cars, but not Ferraris, as I was investing my money properly - nailing as many girls as I could catch! When I was 34, I bought myself a 575 for my birthday! (I’d owned various stuff like Maserati’s and Porsche’s for the years before, but nothing of the magnitude of the Ferrari till then)

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, he stated what he wants, no ambiguity in his words

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    auto loan/HEL is irrelevant - just see who has the best rate.
    other peoples credit scroes - irrelevant.
    % of down payment - everyone has different minimums. from there its an economic decision.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    LOL - I meant to type "Ambitious" - auto correct on my phone changed it. :)

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Totally agree with you. We are the first ones to conplain about trolling and bullying but only a few of us are helping this guy.
    I love penfed! I bank with them, they rock. That’s a good option. U also have woodside, and premier and putnam for leasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedNeck likes this.
  14. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    [raises hand] Which is why I ended up selling it. Never did get sorted, not even after 38k spent in less than two years. Stayed in the shop more than my garage.

High end vehicles are ALWAYS about cost to maintain, not to own. But some people don't want to consider that. Then they end up with an expensive, depreciating doorstop in their garage that they can't afford to fix.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That thread was awesome but it was like 6 years ago. Someone said they bought a Gallardo using a bunch of credit cards. I remember it well!

KoenigTR likes this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Penfed good but the problem is a lot of groups do not like loaning such high amounts. So, Ferrari Financial fills that gap. They are not cheap but you can get financing.

How someone spends their money is not our business. It's theirs. Heaven knows I've made enough mistakes to know!!! Oh, if I only had a time machine.... :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

I did read your thread about your 360 and i am sorry this happened to you. Maintenance is very important indeed; however this is not always outrageous. In my 1 year with my TR i think i spent like 8k. 3 of them for cosmetics like seats etc. The 30 year old car never once failed me and was thoroughly maintained throughout its life.
    I would then encourage any buyer to take a leap of faith, do their research, ppi, and know a great independent mechanic to help fix the car at a reasonable cost.

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Oh, I'm not saying don't do it (I did have a clean PPI, btw). I'm just saying, the vast majority of people just starting their career don't have the income or cash reserves to plop down 10k every six months to get their car out of the shop. Owning an exotic is not like owning other cars. If you don't have the bandwidth for high maintenance costs, then you run the risks of having a car collecting dust. My husband worked in the car industry with high end cars for almost 20 years. The vast majority of people can only afford their car note, which is ridiculous.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s true!either that or they don’t drive it. Personally i like older ferraris which though not cheap seem to have cheaper repairs overall. Mostly labor sometimes.
    If my budget was tight i would recommend a cpo with some prepaid maintenance for peace of mind!

20. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I was so frustrated - mostly because I didn't even get to drive the car - that I just went and bought new. It was all about peace of mind. But yeah, something with some warranty remaining or an extended would probably be a nice deal.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Starter Ferrari's don't come with warranties. What they come with is the opposite of a warranty!

308 milano likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the flipside is if a car has a warranty it still has depreciation

23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yup, . . . this is also true.

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Certainly a problem Ferrari is not a unicorn and getting O/T here but I can't comprehend how you spent $38K on a 360 and it still was not sorted in the end. Perhaps the wrong tech?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  25. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005