is the 308 a classic? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

is the 308 a classic?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

is the 308 a classic

1. yes

143 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. no

9 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Ferrari has 70 years of history - for 42 of those years, well over half, Ferrari has been best known for its mid engine V8 2 seat sports car models. As you say, the very first of that longest lineage of mid engine V8 sports cars was the 308 GTB/GTS.

The first in a lineage of 42 years? Definitively a classic. Light years ahead of anything else available at the time of its introduction, in terms of styling and performance? Definitively a classic. Nearly universally known by the general public as the Ferrari? Definitively a classic.

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

I'd argue that what makes the 308 a classic is that it is the car that put Ferrari into the "every-mans' awareness, not just the enthusiasts. Likewise the Countache for Lambo.

Oh, and I'm one of those that thinks the 355 might be the best looking Ferrari every made. I didn't buy one as I'm one of those that does all my own maintenance and restoration. The 355 is too "computerized" for my skills (anything newer than 88 is too new for me). The Mondial seemed like the perfect, low risk way to dive into the Ferrari mystic and find out if restoring/maintaining a Ferrari is any different than any other early 80's car (it's not).

sid

Davsk1 and davemqv like this.
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Agreed that the 328 is not a classic. A comment here recently on FerrariChat, and I'll paraphrase, "The 328, today, appears as a modern car."

rob lay likes this.
  4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Ford made a total of 14,689,525 Model Ts. The car was ground breaking in terms of mass production and at the time, affordability. It was also the car on which most Ford jokes (Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily, Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Depreciation) are based. A significant car in the history of the automobile, for sure. Classic? I'll stick with my previous sentence. It does have it's dedicated followers, that's for sure.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think time frame could change views, in 20 years when Ferrari becomes Porche, maybe the term "Pre-Marchoinne" will be a new delimiter.

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    +1
    they made too many Spitfires too
    ...also too many P38 Mustangs....
    ....also too many 911 Porsches...
    ...and not to mention how many Merlin V12 engines were made....
    the question Mr. Mayor (with all due respect...).....is not how many were made.....its is how much impact they caused and how many survive in good shape.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Hail the 308 as a classic. burn all Gt4s. GT4 was the very very first before any any car with the v8 mid engine layout all the way to the 488 btw. its not a classic? unreal

Jack-the-lad and skullyspice like this.
  8. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    JB833 and rob lay like this.
  9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
  10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Seems like they made a lot of 60s corvettes, 57 Chevy as well...and they’re considered classics.

11. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Absolutely yes..................................................all the 308 variants with carbys are classics :D

absostone likes this.
  12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Perhaps the poll question should be "Do you share TheMayor's personal opinion of what qualifies 'anything' as a classic." ;)

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't get all butt hurt, I own a 328 and even say the 328 isn't one. I know there are a bunch of GT4 fans, but there are even more that think anything from Bertone should be burned to ashes. ;)

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Sir as far as your first comment I don't appreciate that . And to me and others, any first run carbed cars are classics. they will never return. not trying to argue. just sick of the GT4 nonsense.

15. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Burn the Lambo Miura !

absostone likes this.
  16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    haha . there ya go

rob lay likes this.
  17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    if anyone knows a person / organization in mind . LMK I will gladly donate it.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    as usual, a lot of this argument hinges on your own definition of what constitutes a 'classic'.

my own opinion, and why i originally said that the 308 was a classic, is that any car that was great in its day, evokes all the stereotypical thoughts about that marque, and is still sought after and valued 30-40 years on, is a classic.

the number made is irrelevant to this definition. whether it was seen on tv or not is irrelevant. whether it was expensive when new, or presently is irrelevant.
    there are plenty of examples to prove all those points.

iconic, to me means a car that when seen by non-car people, will still elicit a reaction or response that it IS a ferrari, or a porsche etc.

and again, the 308 is iconic.

Texas Forever and Bisonte like this.
  19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    sorry wrong thread I posted in

tifoso2728 likes this.
  20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I think the word is ICONOCLASTIC..

21. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    Ahhh, yes, the old it’s not a Ferrari argument.... Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Claudia65

Claudia65 Karting

Mar 29, 2017
    Switzerland
    I agree...production numbers arent everything...forget all the Magnum hype.....just look at it...for me its one of the top 3-4 designs ever and one day i will definately own one no matter how "slow" it is or whatever...it`s a damn sexy car !!!

23. Claudia65

Claudia65 Karting

Mar 29, 2017
    Switzerland
    absolutely true....of course it depends on how old you are but considering that most owners are between 40 and 60 :D:D,,,back then...when you saw one nothing screamed " I am a Ferrari" louder than this one...everyone...no matter if a Petrolhead or a "normal person" knew it was a Ferrari when they saw one..and thats still the case...

308 milano likes this.
  24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If you count quality of materials and assembly then there are very few “classic” Ferraris.
    The 308 was a game changer for Ferrari. The progenitor of all eight cylinder Ferraris.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Fixed it for you!

tifoso2728 likes this.