is the 308 a classic? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

is the 308 a classic?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

is the 308 a classic

1. yes

143 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. no

9 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #76 TheMayor, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    This whole thread started from another thread where I said the 308 (and the 360) will never be considered a classic like the hand built V12 cars of the 60's. That its perfectly OK to mod one of these and make it more fun, more reliable, and not "keep it like Enzo wanted".

I'm still correct. It never will be a classic like those cars and people should just drive them instead of worrying about "originality" and "low mileage".

It's a fine car to have fun with. It's their first mass produced car made cheaper and reliable enough for daily drivers to want to buy. It was popular and pretty. It was the first V8 to have the Ferrari badge stuck on without the name Dino. It didn't cost you an arm and a leg to maintain. It was fast "enough". We saw it every week in a highly rated TV show. We saw it in the movie Vacation.

But that won't make it a classic. It makes it an ICON, and that ain't bad. Maybe its even better.

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I vote Classic.

As others have said, there's a lot of crossover between iconic and classic, and the 308 is both. Iconic is everyone sees one and says "The Magnum PI car!". My mom recognizes that car. Laymen recognize it. That's iconic. Classic is evidenced by timelessness of design. By that I don't mean that the car still looks modern today, I mean that it never lost it's magic. It's still an exciting looking car. Not all Ferrari's can boast that.

Even the seemingly insignificant fact that we can say "308" to one another and know which car we're talking about, see the silhouette in our minds, even though what we're really discussing is the GTB/GTS, and 308 is a broader designation that applies to GT/4's and technically Mondial's. That's classic.

I'd also say production numbers don't matter. Rarity doesn't mean classic. Chuck Taylor's are classic design. So are Levi's 501's, the Rolex Sub, the Porsche 911, and the T shirt! I think the Braun Phase 2 alarm clock is a classic. How many of those got made?!

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    With 86 votes placed by self-proclaimed car enthusiasts, and in particular Ferrari lovers, and 93% state it is a "Classic."
    I think therefore there is enough statistical gravitas to unequivocally state that the car is indeed a "Classic Ferrari" as judged by the group who's opinion counts.

Any further discussion is a circular waste of time.

308 milano likes this.
  4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I did not vote classic. The 308GTB/GTS does stand out when it's out and about in traffic. When it's at a car show with other cool cars, or especially other Ferraris, not so much. That doesn't mean it's not beautiful. See my earlier post about when I worked at Knauz in the early-mid '70's. It was stunning compared to the first 308GT4s with their awful battering-ram crash bumpers.

Hint: If you want a 308GTB/GTS that stands out a bit more than average . . . get one that's NOT RED!!

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, you can shut your ears and eyes but it won't go away.

You will never see a run of the mill 308 at Pebble beach. That's a fact.

Exhibit A:

Alfa Duetto. According to the logic of the 86 votes this also qualifies as "a classic" when in fact, it's iconic because we all remember it in the Graduate. Now, it's also a pretty, fun car people can enjoy. Gee that sounds familiar...

"Old" does not mean "classic". It means old. An old Yugo is not classic. An old Pinto or Maverick is not classic. A 2009 Ferrari California in the year 2039 will not be "a classic".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    This is what I’ve missed oh so much.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Not to get argumentative, but I have seen a YUGO entered at a local car show!

It was amazing how much attention it drew.

Sid

TheMayor, paulchua and tifoso2728 like this.
  8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Of course it’s a classic.
    To say otherwise is just stirring the pot for the sake of argument.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, great comeback, one of my top 10 cars ever! how did Gandini go astray in the early 70's? Maybe he was keeping up too closely with his former Bertone buddy Giugiaro? :eek:

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Or . . . it is merely answering the original posters question. That's what this thread is about. Opinions regarding the 308GTB/GTS, OK?

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    a few of us, have attempted to define what a classic is in our opinion. and yet, this has not swayed our dear mayor.
    so, mr mayor, please do us the courtesy of providing us with your definition of a classic car, with the reasons for that, and some examples.

thanks

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The exact definition of what is a 'classic car' varies around the world. Here in the US, the "Classic" Car Club of America doesn't even have one Ferrari on their list since it must be produced pre 1948. In the UK it is even more open to subjective interpretation. I don't think the Mayor is wrong nor Ross. It all depends on your definition. It seems to me the Mayor is more strict, while others may be more open -- nothing wrong with this - and I think this is a great thread - but ultimately will not definitively settle anything since it's up to the individual.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Alfas Duettos, Porsche 356 are classic and were made in the thousands also...

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    As no one or group of people will even agree on a definition of "Classic Car", let's just settle for the simple question - Do you think the Ferrari 308GTB/GTS is a significant Ferrari? I think we can all answer yes as it's beautiful and extremely popular.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I voted yes myself. I do believe it's iconic and a significant model for the marque. That said, not personally offended if others have a higher bar. The CCCA would say I am wrong.

16. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
  17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, I voted classic too, at least here in California, One of the the qualifications to get the Historical License plate, your car has to be 25 years old or older, my 84 308 has the Historical plate now.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats fine.
    except i want the mayor's answer. i want his definition.
    it is easy to negate a statement, but it is more difficult to define something with supporting argument and examples.
    he has not done that yet......

19. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Yes, Without the 308 we would all be on the Porsche forum.
    D.

Back'n'Black and rob lay like this.
  20. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Unless Ferrari had been kind enough to have simply kept cranking out that cheap "mut" they called the 246. Me? I surely wish they had!

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Maybe it was a Ferrari management issue.....Gandini certainly hit home runs during that period with the Countach and later with the Diablo.

rob lay likes this.
  22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    With all of the p-car comments/content lately I'm beginning to wonder... ;)

paulchua likes this.
  23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Of course. The problem was it's (Dino 246GT and GTS) design prevented it to even come close to meeting the crash bumper laws. Of course, we have the insurance companies and their lobbying power to thank for that.

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No, not a fact, just an opinion.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008