Modern FCar which are most likely to become Icons in a decade | FerrariChat

Modern FCar which are most likely to become Icons in a decade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    so at the risk of inflaming emotions, here is my take on the past decade of FCars and my personal opinion about how these cars will be viewed in ten years. Specifically , which models will be viewed as Icons.

So here goes ( And to prove that I’m not too biased I’ve owned three on this list.

360 and it’s LE probably not going to be an Icon because the design isn’t aging well and the performance has been vastly eclipsed.

599– No, again the exterior design isn’t getting better with age and neither is the performance

Enzo- Yes An Icon

430 and it’s LE variants- No

458 and it’s LE variants- Perhaps. Shape is better than 360, 430 and 488.

Cali— NO! NO! NO!

Cali T- No!

Portofino No!

488 No! Turbo engine sound and ugly side vent

FF- No! Ugly

Lusso- No ugly

f12 - No

F12 TDF - Already an Icon

LaFerrari- Yes Already an Icon

812- No Aesthetic design probably not going to be considered beautiful enough

2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    So basically you're saying that every car of the modern era is ugly?

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Limiting the candidates to nothing older than 2007, I believe the 599 probably has the best shot. More distinctive than any of the 4xx series.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I would vote for the Italia. Produced in sufficient numbers to be seen, dreamt about, and owned by enough people to achieve icon status. Plus, it's drop dead gorgeous, especially the rear quarter view in Rossa Corsa...T

docf, stavura and MalibuGuy like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My take for "icons" 25 years from now when every car sounds and looks like a Dyson vacuum cleaner:
    (21st Century)

V12
    Enzo
    599 GTO
    599 Aperta
    LaFerrari
    LaFerrari Aperta
    F12
    F12tdf

V8
    360CS
    430 Scuderia
    Scuderia 16M
    458 Italia
    458 Spider
    458 Speciale
    458 SpecialeA

nmcclure, JagShergill, xfrgtr and 4 others like this.
  6. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    I think practically all Ferrari midengine V8 cars are considered “icons” to the masses. Even a standard 360 makes the list and is considered a quintessential exotic due to shape and visible engine bay. V12s non-specials, not so much (under the radar).

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You had me until the 360 comment.

Bas and MalibuGuy like this.
  8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Actually no Ferrari is ugly. And yes I owned a California.
    Ugly was just my way of separating the models from those special ones that will be seen as occupying a special design class.

No offense!

Baitschev likes this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I waited two year for a 360 and thought it was prettier than the 430 . But then the 458 appeared and the rest as they say is history.

Maybe I’m wrong. 360 prices have hit bottom and are now poised to do something. Time will tell.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    458 spider

Afonsolaw likes this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I agree on your pricing assessment on the 360 but not the design POV. I find the spider to be gorgeous still. But I don’t want to own one, so that says a lot.
    I bet in 25yrs a stick 360 spider goes for a lot.

dgszweda likes this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    360cs
    430scud
    458spec
    599 gto
    enzo
    La
    can't see why the tdf would be an icon as it's just not special enough imo

Clay512TR, Jaguar36 and Melvok like this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    A car that I'm surprised has not popped up more, which I think has a chance to be an icon. The 599 SA Aperta. Drop top V12 Ferrari. Classic looks of the Pininfarina Era with the usability of modern Ferrari. Produced in small numbers...T

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd argue that the tdf is actually more special than a 430 Scud or 458 Speciale, both unlimited and mildly modified from the standard cars - the tdf is limited, has a modified body and a real technical change (rear wheels steering) beyond the power beefing up; the 599 GTO on the other hand is limited but does not bring much.

The Enzo and LaFerrari are true supercars so will be revered as such; the 458 Speciale could benefit from the fact that the 458 was a real milestone (so the Speciale can be credited for being the exclusive version of a important model, which cannot itself be considered iconic because of its large production).

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Completely agree! Picture this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Afonsolaw likes this.
  16. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    As long as Magnum re-runs are on TV, the 308 will always have a place.

Afonsolaw and Shadowfax like this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 308 begins to be not so modern though - produced from 1975 to 1989 (if we include the 328), which means at least 29 years old for the 328 and up to 43 (!) for the 308...

18. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I thought my 360 was a timeless design; I think the 458 is also timeless but sharper-edged.
    Dustman: you are right about manuals going up in price; probably don't have to wait 25 years though. Gated Gallardos are already rare and rising in price; I have not been following 360s but I assume they are on the same track

19. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Agree. It’s not a modern car.

Was just saying it keeps getting “refreshed” by the re-runs. So many kids eat up TV programs from that era. They (and many other generations) know Magnum and the 308.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I guess this is how I am thinking of the word "icon."

It doesn't have to be the very top, or very limited supercar...but it needs to be a Ferrari that represents a truly wonderful design and execution of performance/sound (the other aspects of a Ferrari that give them their appeal in the first place).

A Ferrari that years and years later people will say looking back on this 15+ year era (2000-pre-electric)..."Yes...I'd like one of those very much." As they get all misty-eyed thinking about the good 'ol days.

Word forms: icons
    1. countable noun

If you describe something or someone as an icon, you mean that they are important as a symbol of a particular thing.
    ...only Marilyn has proved as enduring a fashion icon.

21. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I guess if we include the 308 from Magnum PI then we need to include the iconic Testarossa from Miami Vice. I would not say it is modern, but always will be classic.

Shadowfax likes this.
  22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

These are all slam dunks.
    TDF will be an icon too.

The trick is to find the ugly duckling before it turns into a Swan.
    2 years ago that was the 599 (and partially 430) stick shift cars.
    I KNEW the 599 stick was going to be an icon but was hoping to wait for a few years more depreciation. Didn't see the manual speculation coming until it was too late... and it went bonkers almost overnight.

Normal 458 ?
    I don't think so..just too many and the "last of the NA" just isn't unique enough to overcome what Ferrari has in store over the next years.
    But they made a boat load of 930s and 993 turbos and those are icons so who knows.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

IMO the Scud and mostly unrecognized 16M (which came out in Great Recession).

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    What about the Ferrari 365 GTB Daytona Spyder?

25. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Challenge Stradale.

It is the most analog Ferrari for people who don't like shifting their own gears and who want basic electronic intervention (if that contradiction is possible).

I don't think speed will matter in 20 years. You will Uber a self-driving vacuum to work. Cars will be a hobby and everything will be about emotion. The CS retains what was left of the old analog emotion from Ferrari's inception to the mid-90s. It also sounds like it has a real engine, and not speakers playing an engineered recording of an engine; and it looks the business without trying to hard. The 430 looked confused, but it still sounded cool; the 458 looked Japanese (but amazingly proportioned), and sounded a bit too perfect.

Modern Ferrari V12s are amazing athletes, but they are irrelevant to me because the exhaust notes are too tuned, the performance goals are too high, and they don't look beautiful. The 599 gets close, but I mean just go look at a picture of a 550 (and listen to a video of a 550 GTS, good grief) and ask yourself, if speed didn't matter, which one would you buy? The 550 is one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever made.

No one will care that much about speed in 20 years. Emotion will sell cars. Viscerally, I think the CS ticks more boxes than any V8 that has come after. Modern Ferrari V12s feel irrelevant to me. I'd rather buy a 550 over everything that has come since.

-K1- and Twosherpaz like this.