F12 vs 812 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F12 vs 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Great photo! I'll come back to it again, I think they had to go with a more aggressive look for the evolution model (812) because they already did the "timeless elegance" look on the F12. If you really like that better, there is a good inventory to choose from. And if you love the more aggressive look of the 812 then you can choose that. Its a winning situation for anyone who can afford these cars. I really do prefer the looks of the F12 though and thats one of the reasons why I made my choice.

2. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    I have no problem with "more aggressive-less elegant" 812, but I wouldn't like to see that as general design direction for all future models.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #53 MalibuGuy, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    I think that the Ferrari tradition of doing a significant re-style in addition to pushing performance and technology is what has made and kept the brands iconic and mythical status.

Designers are given the challenge to create a car both exterior and interior which is aesthetically beautiful and distinctive from the current model. Engineers are challenged to beat and exceed the performance envelope.

So what you see today, by definition, will probably not be what will come.

Rounded curvy shapes will be replaced by more angular. Large vents will give way to smaller ones. More conservative design will be followed by the more bold. And then Visa versa.

But the overall shape remains. Recognizably Ferrari!

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    On F Chat, some lament the new designs. Cry fouls or even worse, that the sky is falling . The brand is lost! All because the new model isn't the identical version of the outgoing.

Porsche is probably the best example of a brand which dares not to alienate their former owners. But it wasn't too long ago when that brand was bankrupt and on the brink.

Then they made some radical changes. Offered new models, SUVs, decidedly down market compact/cheap Boxster (what a name) sports cars and station wagons (no offense to the FF and Lusso)

Anyway, take your pick. I think Enzo was right. Change the style and always improve performance.

He was famously quoted as saying, "The customer is not always right!"

I think he is still right!

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Enzo was right in many things but on this one you paraphrased I think there is an omission and he should have said "The Customer Is Not Always Right, But he/she is Always The Customer"

This thread you launched has the great merit of being very objective "F12 vs 812" which means we have only two options, either we choose one of the models as our favorite or we say we like both. Personally I can confirm I choose the F12 because of the design which I think is far superior to the 812 from many angles but, that doesn't mean at all, that I'm against Ferrari car technical evolution or new different designs. What I'm against in a Ferrari is about very evident bad design elements which I think the 812 has and on this particular if I could, I would say to Enzo "Ferrari Is Not Always Right"

6. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    To which Enzo would wink and point out that the entire production run will sell out regardless, which is far more important than being right or wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    I couldnt agree more with you, radical changes are highly needed in order to keep your models fresh and exciting for new buyers!

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Which proves Enzo right after all! ;)

9. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Lets see what we will say once the 812 is replaced in 2020/21 (??).

Maybe we will again say the new model lost the "forever beauty of the 812". :) We always do...see the 599, F50, 612, etc..All took some time to be seen as beautiful cars.

Lets give time for the 812 aesthetics grow.

...But yes, the F12 is one of the most beautiful Ferraris of all times. However, I guess most of us won't be able to judge the 812 before some years pass and we start seeing the model more.

10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    812 design is an authentic disaster ! everything on this car is truely incoherent and a real problem for the eyes.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  11. dangerdanger

dangerdanger Rookie

Apr 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Danny Dangerous
    I'd call the front and back matter of taste, the sides are objectively a freakin mess . . .

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    stavura and REALZEUS like this.
  13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Would like to hear from folks that have owned both the F12 and 812 :)

14. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    I fully agree with your assessment! Furthermore, in contrast to the F12/ 812 design evolution the FF / GTC4Lusso exterior changes have been done so much better by Ferrari in my opinion.
    I always like to compare these discussions with the following observation: It‘s like looking at a beautiful woman - the absolute majority of men will agree, that the woman is indeed very beautiful, where as only a minority has effectively a different taste or then they are not interested in women at all. Taste is most of the time not relative....

MDEL likes this.
  15. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    I posted a response to the "new" 812 many months ago about the design... IMHO, If the rear of the 812 would have come out as a 'kit' for a different look for the F12, I seriously doubt there would have been many positive remarks nor many buyers... I do like the 812 front and still lust for a TDF....keeping my F12 !

MDEL likes this.
  16. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    I love the 812, loved it the 1st moment I saw it.

jumpinjohn likes this.
  17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Anyone out there that's driven both ? :)

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I haven't but I can tell you I know several people who have both. They all say the 812 is a huge leap forward in every way and tremendously impressive. They say it feels more mid engined in its handling response and yes, it's noticeably faster. The surprise based on some of the commentary here (questioning material quality/ supposed cost cutting) is they say the interior materials are better than in the F12. I think the styling is a purely subjective thing, but objectively, the new one is better and that's almost always how it goes. How do they keep making these cars better and better? That is part of the magic. :)

stavura, jumpinjohn, KenU and 2 others like this.
  19. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Tried the 812 on the roads around Le Castellet last weekend (was on a track day with my F12). The 812 drives very well indeed and is an improvement over the F12. It feels lighter and quite a bit more nimble (probably due to the 4ws). On small country roads, I was not able to feel the difference in power, but obviously the engine remains very impressive. The interior is a (small) upgrade. But, I can still not get around to liking the exterior design. It remains very messy and over the top. I'll stay with my F12 and congratulate the 812 owners on yet another fantastic V12 Ferrari

Caeruleus11, F2003-GA and MDEL like this.
  20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Technologically the 812 Superfast is no doubt an improved F12 Berlinetta in several areas despite of the fact that aesthetically has caused much more controversy than the later.
    The other day I was driving my F12 on a busy motorway and suddenly I saw approaching through the rear mirror what looked like to be the front side of a Jaguar. I was driving on the left lane and as soon as the car in front of me pulled to the right I pressed a little bit the accelerator. To my surprise and stupefaction the jaguar was squeezed to my rear and flashed the lights. In the presence of such an act of total disrespect I pressed the accelerator down to the bottom and observed through the mirror how the jaguar became smaller and smaller. A few miles after I slowed down and pulled to the right lane and let the Jaguar pass and have it’s moment of glory, noticing that the model was a F-Type R AWD. If this episode would have taken place not on a motorway but on some of the mountain roads with tight curves where I sometimes drive for fun when the weather is dry, I doubt that the F12 with myself at the wheel would have stand the slightest chance against this AWD jaguar with less 200 cv, unless I was prepared to risk my life and the structural integrity of my F12.
    This rather silly story made me wonder if traction wise the 812, because of the rear wheels steering system and may be other features, has really improved substantially in comparison to the F12 ?

4RE F12 and Makuono like this.
  21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Some say it feels closer to a rear mid engine than previous V12's did. What's your thoughts ? - Thanks

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I highly doubt the awd advantage would help the Jag succeed in the dry But 812 would still be struggling against the Jag awd in the wet only IMO

23. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Was this another car styled in-house by Ferrari themselves?

Regardless of the answer, it' such a pity that such a magnificent engine has be housed in car, that at best, looks derivative and ungainly.
    And at worst, looks like Corvette.

I look at it and feel no desire to purchase one.

24. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    That's something we are seeing more and more in the road these days. Rudeness and plain aggressiveness. It is important to keep calm and ignore provocations.

Probably the Jag just wanted to hear one of the most glorious sounds ever (F12 V12) while looking closely at that beautiful and sexy Italian rear. The F12 is one of a kind.

KenU, MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    To each his own. I thought the F12 to be so beautiful but hated the awkward rear end. To me, the TDF is perfection but out of my range.

The 812 has some design elements that are divisive. However I found it to be beautiful when i first saw it. Corvette comparisons have been going on since the F12. Yeah. I’ve sat in both and that is a silly statement.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app