Anyone tune there Cali ECU from Fabspeed | FerrariChat

Anyone tune there Cali ECU from Fabspeed

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dohangs, Apr 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hi there
    I'm thinking of sending my ecu to fabspeed to have them the tune it. Apparently it bumps up the HP by 24 and TQ by 21. I was Just wondering if anyone here has done this and if it was a noticeable difference worth the money.
    Thanks

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Fabspeed uses EVOMSit for ECUs. You could contact EVOMSit directly for more info.

3. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Ok thanks.

4. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Just looked them up. It seems that their prices are more expensive than fabspeed.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think the ECU upgrade is worth doing for the non-Cali30 NA cars.

While the HP increase is more for high speed performance not appreciated unless you track or live in Germany, the torque increase would be easily noticeable if you are a spirited driver. If you also really don't care if your car sounds obnoxious to some people, add the exhaust system and you REALLY notice a big difference. However, the normal sequence to take with upgrades is actually... wheels/tires, muffler, exhaust system, then ECU. My Cali30 essentially has all of these, plus Novitec sport springs that are higher ratio than those on a factory spec 991 GT3. I'm never selling my Cali30. ;)

6. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Good to know. I'm happy with the exhaust note so not looking to do change that. I already have the Novitec sport springs myself.. Just wondering if I'd notice the little extra bump? Sounds like it might be worth the cost.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's good, the sound is important if you're already happy with it. However, if you do get the ECU upgrade AFAIK it should be designed to work with the specific exhaust system you have. I believe the ECU tune takes into consideration whether and to what degree your car has an upgraded exhaust system.

It's an expensive purchase and you also have to get both ECUs off, FedEx'd to the tuner to flash and wait for them to return them to you to reinstall. I believe Fabspeed/EVOMsit is very fast with turnaround but Novitec is not so fast - so get them commit to a reasonable level of service.

Speak to whomever is doing the tuning as they should tell you exactly what they are doing and how it affects your car. Otherwise, unless you dyno your car before and after you have no idea where your money's going and you have to depend on how sensitive and familiar you are with your car when running on the edge. The other thing I would ask for them to provide you a copy of your current ECUs' settings on a flash drive. It's like keeping your old parts for insurance when you install upgrade parts. Even though the tuner may say they keep a copy of your original ECU settings I would keep a personal copy just in case. It just makes sense and does not cost anyone anything to do so.

Do let us know how you make out if you decide to proceed! ;)

8. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for the help. I'll report back if I do the tune.

9. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have asked this question and never get a response from someone that has actually installed ECU mode. I have a California T and have looked at harness which is very in expenses, and ECU. But no one seems to have actually installed.

Have you looked at VR tune, easy way to try a modification.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
  11. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I've reached out to Biesse about upgrading our 2015 T. Anyone have any experience with them??

12. 965

965 Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    I am quite interested in the ECU tuned as well, reasonable to add 20-30HP, and bring it back to the Cali 30 490HP level.

But then with second thought, extra 4-5% power, and may be 0.1 second quicker is not that important anymore, 3.7sec, 3.6sec .. the Cali is a great car, but not a very quick car anymore.

I have seen great HP improvement for the California T .. up to the 488 660HP level is sweet for the Cali T !

David hsu likes this.
  13. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    Has anyone used one of the piggyback units from VRTune or other company on their California T? I would like to know if it adds pops and gurgles on the downshift in addition to the advertised HP gains.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app