First drives of the year? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First drives of the year?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Apr 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes fair enough. Daytona must be even heavier steering than my F512M. Now that’s a car that could sometimes do with some boosted steering.

I always think it’s astonishing, hopping from the 512M to the Maranello, that the 550 was actually the successor. What a completely different type of car.

2. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I took my 550 out for the first drive this past weekend. Wow. I fall in love more with this car every time I drive it. They don’t make them like this anymore!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

cgt000, NE550, Qksilver and 1 other person like this.
  3. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Afternoon all !........I chipped in earlier with a post, but realised I was in the wrong thread....Zzzz.

I'm about to take my 575M F1 out for its first drive in my ownership. The manual says to keep your foot planted when upshifting AND downshifting.
    Older manual cars with overdrive from way back when, required a bit skill flicking in and out of overdrive at speed; otherwise passengers got neck injuries ! !
    Does the engine on the F1 select the right rpm on downshifting automatically?....or does it need input from the driver.
    Needless to say, never driven a paddleshift before. ( brought the car home in a trailer, parked up in warm garage, and waited 5 months for winter to end).
    I'll try and post a few pics of my car......when it stops raining. Summer's here ?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Today, after a knee operation in April, i had my 1st drive after the winter. No problems, everything worked fine.
    About 80 Kms pure enjoyment.

The 550 is so beautiful.
    The engine, the handling, and these lines.

One of the most beautiful Ferraris ever made.

Daniel

5. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Just came back from the 1st drive with the 599 GTB.

And I have to say, the 550 is more fun than the 599 GTB.

Daniel

6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Tomorrow morning, 6 AM :D

Without sills to the body/paint shop!

RKZ841 likes this.
  7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    New Hampshire has yet to fully embrace this whole Spring concept. Yesterday was nice, today is overcast and now raining. But this morning I could no longer resist and I woke the 456M up! The long winter nap on trickle charge keep all well and she fired right up. Just a bit of spin around the neighborhood after getting everything up to temp and now I can start to look at the full annual inspection of things and fluid changes. But heavens it was good to drive it.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I love our tales of enjoyment after hibernation, with our cherished machines. Will our grandchildren have the chance to do the same, I wonder.

Daniel, interesting what you said about the 599 and 550.

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Sadly I very much doubt it, at least not on public roads in this country.

I took mine out for a 200 mile drive yesterday. From our house near Cirencester, I drove to Sway, HANTS. for my sister's 40th. anniversary lunch, then on to tea with friends near Winchester (I was greeted by my host on his doorstep telling me that he had heard me coming a couple of minutes before I arrived!) and then back to GLOS. The 550 was, as always, a joy to drive -- the effortless power really is intoxicating!

I may be about to sound like a bit of a wuss, but I cannot understand why anyone would want any more performance (in a road car) than the 550 provides. I'll happily forego an 812's 800 bhp (or whatever) in favour of my 550 any day of the week.

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I completely agree

Il Tifoso and Bluebottle like this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can always use more power, just add Fabio's exhaust. When I traded my 7 liter Z06 Corvette towards the 575M, that was the first time I had gone down in performance when getting a Ferrari. Not down in class, mind you, but the Z06 was definitely faster.

12. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    All went well, I took some fuel (106.33 liters so there was not much left) and got to the body/paint shop well. Not much of a drive yet, but hopefully next week through Sweden, Denmark & Germany!

13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Stripping weight for better lap times? Nice view of the frame rail.

More seriously, good luck with the repairs.

14. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    The only issue I have with these cars (456/550/575 - even though there is some difference in their respective power output) is that at nearly 4000 lbs. or whereabouts they are all fairly porky. The honkin's V12 in the front does justice to the weight but even so I wouldn't call these cars "fast" in a 911 Turbo kind-of-way. They are certainly svelte but, in the end, they are GTs: once that bit is understood than it all comes into perspective.

15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    They weren't designed to compete with a 911, that was the 360. The GT cars were made for long drives, the power is effortless, the comfort is quite shocking in relation to the 360, and the noise is actually relatively tame. I couldn't imagine driving/wanting a v8 ferrari after owning a v12 car, its a total different experience and the V12 cars are just pure luxury and comfort. I don't think you'll find many maranello owners drag racing at stop lights, thats not what the car is about. I've gone on a few long trips in mine 3+ hours and I couldn't imagine doing the same in the aventador I had before it, I'd probably need a spine adjustment after that if I did. The 575 is like a bentley gt but better in every way, other than the time it takes to warm up, the car is literally the perfect daily driver.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No need for a long warm-up. As soon as the 1400 rpm cold idle drops down to 1200 or so, it is perfectly safe to drive her and just keep the revs below 4000 until she has 160 F or so (3rd mark on gauge) oil temperature.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  17. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Got my sills back on, good work! (The paint was hiding a poor repair / botch job on the RH rear corner, now it's properly done)

Tonight back home, tomorrow another ferry to Sweden, then some driving! :)

18. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just another car in the ferry queue....no wait, that's a thing of beauty!!

AVIMAX likes this.
  19. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yup, a Ferrari in a ferry line seems to draw some attention, especially when they are red! Mine waiting for a ferry from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island last summer.

20. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Never been on the Tobermory-Manitoulin Island ferry. But I have been on the Tobermory-Kilchoan ferry. Slight difference between Michigan and Scotland but the ferry landings and ferries themselves look remarkably similar!!

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Your 550 looks rather small compared to that white whale in front!

22. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    When I checked in, the attendant was concerned with how low my car was at the front, so I was positioned to stay on the main deck with the trucks rather than up the ramp to the second level. Looked pretty cool on board. Trucks, RVs etc, and my 550!

23. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
  24. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name: