Ticking sound from engine bay - help my paranoia! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ticking sound from engine bay - help my paranoia!

Discussion in '308/328' started by chrisbinsb, Mar 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    My ticking was two things: exhaust manifold leak and sampler tubes. All good now.

2. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    What are smpler tubes? Was the leak the front or rear manifold?

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Great! Glad it was nothing serious.

4. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Others call them "sniffer" tubes.... I tried to find a photo but could not... other, more knowledgeable people than I, can probably furnish a photo. They often fail due to corrosion. The manifold gasket was at the rear.

5. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    The sniffer tubes are likely for US spec cars, mine is a Euro

6. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Sold the car a few years ago but just happened to catch the notification on this thread..

Problem was the “sniffer” or “testing” tubes mentioned in some posts above. One of them had cracked slightly. Since they are of little value, I just crimped the tube closed below the crack and was done with it. I believe another one of the tubes had already been “repaired” this way and my car was driver quality so that was acceptable to me.

Still miss the car, wish I never sold it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Chris, thanks a lot. When I sold my 308GTB in 2002 and bought a great car in return (Alfa Romeo SZ) I regretted selling the 308 soon so bought my 328 in 2007 and am happy ever since...despite various issues....

Many times the sniffer tubes are mentioned here but these must be the analyser tubes as used for the US spec 308 and 328 as per below picture. Next picture shows that the Euro cars don't have them.
    Did you buy another great car??

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    I Know this is a dead issue now that the car is gone however i saw a car with a "repair" done this way. The crimp was on the Front of the engine against the firewall and the crimp burned through so the exhaust gas was shooting up and melted the the fuel line, car went up like huge candle.

9. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I've had three ticking noises over the years
    A/c belt and loose H/T wire on coil were more of a static shock noise.
    The third, a front bank exhaust manifold joint, sounds just like yours. Mine also went away when the engine was hot.
    By the way - also had the click but no starter engagement. Turned out to be a dirty bendix on the starter motor. These cars seem to have little tolerance to this and slightly duff batteries. I suspect brought on by voltage drops along the length of the car.

10. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Problem solved. The heavy ticking was from the.............AC belt. I could not believe it since the ticking was real loud. I cut the belt to have the check done fastly and checked the belt. Found small indents on the outside indicating that at one spot over some 50 mm (2") there was contact between the belt and the metal compressor holder on the top/backside. The gap is small and if the tension on the belt is too low it can make contact until it gets warm and less stiff.

11. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Many wrote that it is static electricity but I do not believe that since I never heard it at any other car.

12. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I get loads of static noise from my AC belts when the weather is cold. My long respected Ferrari Indie here in the UK (QV London) knew immediately what it was when I asked. It goes after a few minutes when everything gets warm. So yes - it does exist.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Those are things you learn when you buy the car new. Static discharge from belts makes a snapping sound and there is an intermittence howling sound, I forget the source. Not all cars do it. Some do one or the other. Mine did both when I bought it new. After a belt change only the howling sound when cold. Both go away when warmed up. Both are normal.

14. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    O.k., since so many say it ....there must be a static discharge issue on rather many 308/328/Mondial. Still does my old belt show traces of impact on the outside whilts the ticking was clearly louder than years ago when I had a ticking sound that disappeared due to unknown reason. To me we also need to be keen towards the space left between the bracker and the belt. By the way my compressor is a Euro car hence Sanden SD-507 (US spec cars have York what is a larger and heavier compressor than the Sanden.