Red Bull F1 | FerrariChat

Red Bull F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Red Bull expects engine penalties in 2018

APRIL 18, 2018

Red Bull expects to take engine penalties later in 2018.

Although winning in China, Daniel Ricciardo has also suffered reliability trouble so far this year and is already onto his second out of three 'power units'.

"We are sure that we will get penalties. We just have to make sure they happen on the right track," Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko told Auto Motor und Sport.

So with penalties likely, a smart tactic might be for Renault to change tack now, plan to use four or five engines per driver in 2018 and accelerate development.

"You'd have to talk to Mr Abiteboul," said Marko, referring to the Renault boss.

"We are always demanding performance. For Renault, we are as annoying as mosquitoes and we very much challenge the French mentality."

daytona355 likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Interesting as Honda do not appear to be a better alternative..................

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Drivers should pay for Red Bull crash says Lauda

APRIL 30, 2018

Red Bull's drivers should have to pay for the damage to their cars after colliding in Baku.

That is the view of Niki Lauda, whose fellow Mercedes chief Toto Wolff said after the clash on Sunday that F1 drivers "sometimes go too far".

"I've been in Christian (Horner's) position," Wolff said after Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen crashed.

"On the one hand you want two equal drivers who are not afraid to fight. But we have to remind them that hundreds of people work 24 hours a day to give them the car," he added.

Lauda, the Mercedes team chairman, said that in Horner's situation, he would "go home and cry".

"My view is that Verstappen is 70 per cent guilty, Ricciardo 30 per cent guilty. You cannot move like that in a straight line. Eventually the poor guy had nowhere to go.

"What would I do? I would bring them to my office and make them pay for the repairs," Lauda added.

However, Horner and fellow Red Bull chief Dr Helmut Marko would not apportion blame, saying both drivers were now in the "doghouse" and would have to apologise.

As for Lauda's suggestion of a financial penalty, Horner answered: "Niki thinks about the financial side more often than most of us in the paddock.

"For us the most important thing for Daniel and Max to realise is that it was completely unacceptable."

He said Red Bull's philosophy is always to let the drivers fight, but "We will discuss it before Barcelona".

F1 race director Charlie Whiting admitted "both drivers could have acted more circumspectly", while Ricciardo said the incident won't damage his relationship with Verstappen.

"We are not angry with one another," said the Australian. "We just want to apologise to the team. It's all we can do."

375+ likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Actually the cost to the team for the accident occurred to me immediately. The damage to the cars has to be many 100's of thousands of dollars, let alone the staggering expense of putting two cars on the grid and coming away with zero constructors points.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Is that what Merc told their drivers after the Spanish GP also? What a stupid comment. So if a driver makes the smallest of errors, Merc says pay for it? How to dissuade your drivers from pushing the limit:rolleyes:

stavura and thirteendog like this.
  6. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Nikki said they thought about doing it with ROS and HAM (didn't mention which time!), but that they never did it! I'm thinking a driver's contract would spell this out if it's even possible.

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Lauda can always talk when it concerns other people...as you said I can not remember Nico and Lewis paying for all the mess they made...I remember Lauda and Wolff said Horner should mind his own business back then, maybe they should take that advice and just shut up!!!

tifoso2728 likes this.
  8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yeah, those guys are lucky to be on such a great team and be paid handsomely for it. I think they will now be forced, at the very least, to accept team orders. This may well play into Daniel's decision making when he considers where to go (or stay) next season.

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I respect Red Bull for their past decision to let the drivers have it out with the simple request they don't crash.

They crashed.

I admire the Red Bull team for how they have handled this past/present.

If they collect each other again with two DNF's this season then it is time to make a change.

That change based on past performance and cause of wrecks would be to place Daniel in a senior position as #1.

I admire RBR's position to look forwards and move on.

11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I agree. F1 would be pretty dull without RB. It's independent spirit and lack of team orders has provided a refreshing authenticity.

They are also at the mercy of Renault, and we all know the games they can play !

Red Bull are between a rock and a hard place, and they serve the sport very well despite such challenges.

12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Another crash will mean team orders says Marko

MAY 2, 2018

Red Bull may consider imposing team orders if Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen collide again.

After Baku, bosses Christian Horner and Dr Helmut Marko were furious, but said they remained committed for now to always letting the team's drivers race.

But Marko now tells Sport Bild: "At the next collision, we will have to do a team order, although we are actually against it."

Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda put the blame on Verstappen at 70 per cent.

"He zig-zagged," the F1 legend told Bild newspaper. "That's completely pointless. He does not learn."

But Marko insisted Red Bull has no regrets about signing Dutchman Verstappen, notwithstanding his troubles in 2018.

"We got Max because of his speed and his aggressiveness. Then you have to live with the fact that sometimes sparks fly," he said.

As for whether his relationship with teammate Daniel Ricciardo might be broken, Verstappen said no.

"No, no," he told Austrian broadcaster Servus TV. "We talked immediately after the crash and I cannot imagine it will change our good relationship.

"It was not the first time we have fought, and with one exception everything always went smoothly. Our fight before the accident was tough but always fair," Verstappen added.

And so he said he is "staying positive" ahead of the Spanish grand prix.

"We're getting numerous improvements to the car for Spain so I'm assuming we'll be very competitive there," he said.

Meanwhile, Germany's Suddeutsche newspaper reports that at Baku, official talks between Red Bull and Honda kicked off.

"It was positive," Honda's Masahi Yamamoto is quoted as saying. "This is the beginning of a potential future."

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Renault gives Red Bull May 31 engine deadline

MAY 8, 2018

Red Bull has until the end of the month to decide between Renault or Honda power for 2019.

Official talks between the energy drink owned team and Honda kicked off in Baku.

According to FIA rules, teams must indicate which engine supplier they will work with for the forthcoming season by May 15.

It's not a strict deadline, but Renault says it needs to know for logistical reasons by May 31 at the latest.

"After May 31, we will not be able to guarantee the delivery of Renault engines (for Red Bull) in 2019," boss Cyril Abiteboul told France's Auto Hebdo.

"We're already giving Red Bull two extra weeks."

Abiteboul said Renault is willing to keep working with Red Bull, notwithstanding the now official Honda talks and an often fraught collaboration.

"After 12 years of a successful cooperation, we are ready to continue to work with Red Bull," he said.

"The main problem is time."

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135909/red-bull-tells-engineers-to-intervene-in-battles

Red Bull will tell Max Verstappen's and Daniel Ricciardo's race engineers to intervene in their Formula 1 battles in future if the team feels the racing is getting out of hand.

The team-mates were both eliminated from the last race in Baku when a feisty scrap came to an end with a collision at the first corner.
    Red Bull stressed at the time that it wanted to continue to allow its drivers to race, and its motorsport advisor Helmut Marko confirmed ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix that will continue to be the case.

"We'll let them drive free," he told Auto Bild.

"However, in future we will tell the race engineers that they will have to intervene when we see that it could escalate again.

"The two of them have spoken. There is no bad blood. You don't have to talk about it anymore. The book is closed."

Marko said the situation was different to when Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber clashed as Red Bull team-mates at the 2010 Turkish Grand Prix, because they did not have a relationship as strong as the team's current drivers.

"Ricciardo and Verstappen actually get along very well," he said.

"This was not the case with Vettel and Webber back then, nor with Senna and Prost [at McLaren in the 1980s], nor with Hamilton and Rosberg [at Mercedes in the '10s].

"In Baku we got the tyres into the operating temperature too late, the undercut didn't work, that's why the emotions boiled up [as Verstappen got back ahead of Ricciardo during the pitstops].

"[Ricciardo] was too late on the brakes, but Verstappen could have prevented the accident by avoiding him."

Marko said Verstappen must prioritise finishing races now, following an incident-filled start to the 2018 season.

"Max knows now - when the next incident occurs, the blame is automatically on him, whether he can help it or not, because he's been involved in so many collisions lately," said Marko.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Renault to start Red Bull talks after Monaco

MAY 16, 2018

Renault would cope with the loss of Red Bull as a customer.

That is the claim of Cyril Abiteboul, boss of the French carmaker's F1 project.

Currently, it is unclear whether Red Bull will stick with Renault power for 2019 or switch to Honda.

Renault imposed a May 15 deadline on Red Bull, but then extended it until May 31.

Now, Abiteboul told El Mundo newspaper that talks will only begin after Monaco.

"Everything will start at the end of May, shortly after Monaco," said the Frenchman.

"We are not going to put a deadline, because it's not our style. But we cannot postpone it indefinitely," Abiteboul added.

"There is some urgency due to changes in the regulations, so if Red Bull wants our engines, they should let us know. If there is no agreement, we will stay with Renault and McLaren.

"We do not have to supply three teams," he said.

The Red Bull talks may also complicate Renault's desire to keep Carlos Sainz for 2019, as the Spaniard is only 'on loan' for this year.

"We all know about his Red Bull contract," Abiteboul said.

"We are also all aware that, if there is a will by all parties, there is a way to end it.

"We have been talking with Red Bull about all kinds of issues for 12 years and I am convinced that there will be many occasions to talk about this matter soon," he added.

16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Red Bull delays engine decision for another month

MAY 29, 2018

Red Bull will make Renault wait even longer to find out if it intends to use the French manufacturer's F1 power unit in 2019.

Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul is frustrated that the energy drink owned team is stalling over its decision to potentially switch to Honda power.

"I do not understand their evasive behaviour," he said. "They want to wait until Canada, but on Monday after the race in Montreal there will be no revelations."

Actually, Red Bull boss Christian Horner says the team will wait much longer than just Canada next weekend.

"It will be a month or so. End of June, beginning of July. It's the timeframe we've always talked about," he said.

"We want to compare the two engines in Canada," added Horner, amid reports both Renault and Honda will use upgrades at the Montreal race weekend.

"We'll get small updates in Montreal but we need to get the most out of them. It's very important to us."

Horner's biggest concern about staying with Renault is that Mercedes and Ferrari are always better in the crucial qualifying sessions.

"If I'm not mistaken, in the last six races the five fastest laps were ours," he said.

"If we get more power in the last qualifying session, there will be nothing stopping us from making the lives of Mercedes and Ferrari very difficult," Horner added.

An hour before the Monaco grand prix, three senior Honda officials were seen exiting the Red Bull motorhome.

Renault's Abiteboul says the French outfit would like to stay with Red Bull.

"We would like to continue with Red Bull if they give us a three-year warranty," he said. "Then we could have planning security, invest more and justify more resources."

17. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Ricciardo better than Verstappen says Villeneuve

JUNE 1, 2018

Daniel Ricciardo is a better driver than his Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen.

That is the claim of Jacques Villeneuve, the always outspoken 1997 world champion.

Verstappen, 20, is having an error-strewn 2018 season, but while boss Christian Horner says he needs to "reset", he backed the young Dutchman to eventually bounce back.

Villeneuve is less sure.

"Verstappen makes mistakes in every race. It happens all the time," the Canadian told Sky Italia.

"It's a bad sign. For example, Ricciardo was not at all to blame for their crash in Baku. He did nothing wrong.

"If a driver is constantly making mistakes, he must calm down and slow down. But to be at Ricciardo's level, he has to take more risks. It can only mean one thing: Max is not as good as Daniel. Full stop," Villeneuve said.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Red Bull not caving to Renault ultimatum

JUNE 15, 2018

Red Bull is not caving in to Renault's pressure to immediately make its choice of engine supplier for 2019.

The energy drink owned team wants to finally choose between Renault or Honda power between the forthcoming French and Austrian grands prix.

But Renault's Cyril Abiteboul insists: "In Austria, our offer is not going to be there anymore. They'll have to talk to Honda."

Red Bull boss Christian Horner, though, says the team needs another race to analyse the latest performance steps made by both Renault and Honda in Montreal.

"We're taking a close look in Canada and France. Then we'll make our choice," he said.

Dr Helmut Marko also doesn't see why Renault is making such a fuss about a few more days of delay.

"Whether it's France or Austria, it's only a few days. I don't know what's so important about it all of a sudden.

"We will announce our decision between the grand prix in France and the race in Austria," the Red Bull official added.

19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Red Bull is carrying their nose very high....they think that it is them to choose and everybody is happy to deliver and say thank you...
    If I was Renault and looking back at the bad mouth Horner and Marko had about them in the past after winning several WDC and WCC with them, I would give them the finger (and not the same one Vettel shows ;) ). Renault is loosing their face when all the deadlines are passing and they are still waiting for RB to choose.

william and 375+ like this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If Renault could drop Red Bull at the last minute, I have no doubt they would do it.
    But there are commercial considerations, and they have to swallow their pride, I guess.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    william likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I can't see Newey move. Red Bull will simply increase the offer. Renault remains unstable as a company (their F1 future). And I can't see how they could afford him, really.

Hulk is good but not great. If he wins a championship he'll kind of luck into a WDC car, to be honest.

Sainz got his arse handed to him at STR by Verstappen...despite Sainz being vastly more experienced at the time (Max only having done a single car racing season). Frankly the only times Sainz found himself ahead of Max was when the latter had issues with the car...During races once Max got past him his pace was so much better it was a joke, really.

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With some optimism one could say Renault is improving as a team - and anyway they cannot really benefit from Red Bull's performance with Renault engine (the Red Bull is officially Aston Martin rather than Renault...)
    So they may ditch Red Bull, but on the other hand having their engine in a good car is interesting for benchmarking - and so far only Red Bull is offering that, McLaren is incredibly bad by comparison.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, there was a time when people on this forum used to swear by him, and even some wanted him at Ferrari !!!

He never looked that good to me. He will go the way Frentzen, or Heidfeld went.

I will be cruel and say that, IMO, he will never win a GP.

Bas likes this.