Should Max get a suspension from races? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Max is (understatement alert) a REALLY aggressive driver. He's not just a quick, efficient driver like Bottas, he passes aggressively and blocks aggressively. There is nothing anyone can say that will change that part of his make-up, as a real "racer" will say those are important attributes to becoming a champion. What WILL change his behavior is not a suspension, but you'd have to figure he can't continue collecting dnf's without it severely weighing upon him. He's not going to just watch Vettel, Ricci, Hamilton et al waltz away with victories while he's stranded on the side of the track somewhere. He needs to, and will, evolve as a driver if he wants to cash in on his potential. Perhaps more time with Alonso and less with Pastor would be helpful. ;)

I honestly expect him to compose himself differently in Spain. What he's doing is clearly not working. He just needs to better understand the cooperative respect associated with piloting high-speed machinery. Ricci allowed him to make his passes without defending him too hard. Max needs to learn to do likewise. If you have the faster car, take the lead in a calm, if not totally predictable manner. If your car is sucking and someone is coming from behind, defend cleanly but concede once it's clear you're a sitting duck. That's what I see from the WDC leaders every race. I guarantee you NONE of them likes losing either.

2. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    This just in from Mark Webber: sounds like it's time for Red Bull team orders, which will last until another MULTI 21 comes up.

(I made that up, Mark Webber didn't weigh in on this one yet as far as I know)

3. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    We can hope...

...but, a lot of people spent the two weeks prior to Baku saying the same thing.

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #204 WPOZZZ, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    You have to wonder what Jos' position is on this. Max listens to him, and I have a feeling Jos just coddles Max, and tells him he did nothing wrong. He was just defending his position.

As his father, I would understand that. However, as a fellow racer, I think it would be better to be more honest...brutally honest.

5. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Jos was/is a nutcase himself. Wouldn't count on him advising Max to cool it down.

tifoso2728 and BMWairhead like this.
  6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sick to death of this ****ing idiot getting let off for every accident he causes

FFS Dan had him cold and his BS attitude has him double moving under brakes which is suppose to have been ruled out by the FIA

So what does the FIA do, they blame BOTH of the drivers

And worst of all , what do RB do to prevent this happening ..... NADA, NIL, ZILC, typical Austrian BS that was served up to Webber and now they're giving a second serving to Dan

Horner is the enemy with his henchman Marko handing him the knife to stab Dan in the back

Max is just an aggressive idiot like his father with more talent

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Wow! The intensity of this debate could take us right up to the first practice in Spain. Thanks, Red Bull guys . . .

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry, I'm a little emotional this morning ....... anniversary of important death in my life :(

9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    After watching a recording of the race...................Max is NOT a good race car driver. No more needs to be said.

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Please, no need to apologize as I wasn't criticizing. In fact, I was trying to compliment everyone on their observations.

And, I'm sorry for your previous loss.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think Daniel has a better understanding of the situation than you do >

Daniel Ricciardo says that his current Red Bull team mate Max Verstappen is the best he's ever had.

That puts the Dutch driver ahead of four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel, who raced alongside him in 2014.

"I'm not saying I've had it easy in the past," Ricciardo told Motorsport.com" But I think he's the first driver who can challenge me."

Other previous team mates have included Daniil Kvyat and Jean-Eric Vergne, as well as Narain Karthikeyan and Vitantonio Liuzzi from his maiden season at HRT.

"In the past, if I've done a high-speed corner and I've taken it flat-out for example, I've never had someone who can get there the same way.

"Max would at least go out there and try it," he explained. "He's been able to match stuff easier than some other guys have."

Ricciardo finished ahead of Verstappen by 32 points in last year's drivers championship. However, Verstappen won two races during the year compared to just one for the Australian.

Ricciardo admitted that his team mate's "qualifying improved" in 2017. The youngster beat Ricciardo 13 times out of 20 qualifying sessions in 2017.

375+ and tifoso2728 like this.
  12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And he’s helped increase the share price of red bulls carbon fibre suppliers at the same time..... boys a genius!

Jeronimo GTO, stavura and moretti like this.
  13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    And anger management course have been inundated :p

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Max races like he is in still in his go kart , only problem is F1 cars are a lot longer,wider,heavier,and faster.

Yeh the kid has natural talent,but he needs to sort out his strategic thinking,and fast.In his eyes he is doing nothing wrong,he will make statements to appease his bosses in RBR etc etc but at the end of the day he is still performing like an entitled spoilt brat.

Maybe he just cannot adapt to being a TEAM member,so then RBR have a choice of implementing team orders,or even replacing him with the next wonder kid coming through from the Playstation generation..

He needs a serious slap down from either FIA or his employer otherwise nothing will ever change.

Perhaps Jos the Boss needs to grab around his neck and read him the riot act?

stavura, daytona355 and SPEEDCORE like this.
  15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What will (WILL) change his driving (and for the better) is a drive though penalty every time he moves more than once n defending a turn.

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    The current one always seems to be the best...because then yourself look better when beating him of not as weak when being beaten....
    Who would have thought that Ricci can be that cocky....

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yes ,problem with Baku is he is allowed to go back onto the racing line after one block ,provided he leaves at least 1 car width to the other driver....looking at it there was just about that available to Ricci ,however he was already commited so no time to go further left.So Max got away with it this time around.

18. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I am tired of Max. He is the Kvyat of 2018.

Time to suspend him for a race.

It was a clear double move. Hurt Ricardo and Seb's chances for the WDC.

crinoid likes this.
  19. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Lets be real. The whole "real" racer is a load of bollocks to make one driver sound better than the other. They are all "real" racers, there is so much competition to get into any type of open wheel category let alone F1 that only "real" racers make it into F1, even the paid drivers need to have some skill. Lots of drivers that have struggled in F1 have gone on to dominated in other classes, the aggressiveness was always there.

The only thing that makes you a champion these days is having the fastest car and being consistent plus a sprinkle of FIA looking the other way. Your aggressiveness in races has little bearing to your title hopes. If Max is the most aggressive "real" racer out there why is he on zero titles after 3 seasons??

He is lucky he got into F1 early so he can just wait it out for all the other drivers to retire and just win a title in 2030.

Just like Button.... (Kidding :p )

Jeronimo GTO, daytona355 and Flea7 like this.
  20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I liked Button because he knew he lucked into the best car for a period of time that allowed him to win the WDC

At least he had the good grace to acknowledge that

daytona355 likes this.
  21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

From another forum but an interesting observation - "If this had been a Red Bull trying to pass a Mercedes or Ferrari, Red Bull would have protested a double block move, no question."

LVP488, stavura, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ad the carnage would have been worse as max would’ve kept his foot firmly in on contact

23. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Unlike some other current driver...

:)

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Naming names ?? :)

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Max is being allowed to be the destructive child that he is without penalty because his idiocy is being used to manipulate the championship.

daytona355 likes this.