The secrets behind the Mercedes front suspension | FerrariChat

The secrets behind the Mercedes front suspension

Discussion in 'F1' started by Giorgio Piola, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you like my artwork?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    96.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Formula 1 world champion Mercedes finally turned its W09 into a winner in Baku last weekend – but is under no illusions that it needs to understand it car more to better extract performance from the tyres.

A key area of focus to make progress on this front will be with its suspension system which, as Giorgio Piola’s exclusive drawings and video shows, features some unique ideas.

Packaging the front suspension of a Formula 1 car is no easy task. There are just so many components to find space for – and on top of what we can see there are things we can’t, such as the pedals, master cylinders and, importantly, the driver’s feet.

The tight area to work within means there is a place for everything – and the 2018 Mercedes is no exception.

It has the common top-and-bottom carbon wishbone and a carbon pushrod operating inboard rockers (1).

Where the black top part of the pushrod changes to the silver part there are shims (slightly darker silver) to alter the ride height. As the angle of the pushrod is about 45 degrees, adding a 0.5mm shim will raise the ride height by roughly 1mm.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Mercedes W09 front suspension, captioned
    Photo by: Giorgio Piola

Looking at the car from the front, it has torsion/springs on both sides (3). The left-hand torsion/spring will be splined into the machined-out rocker.

As the two additional rockers (4) are joined together in the middle with a solid link that effectively creates a third connecting rocker to help the other two drive the anti-roll bar, the small-toothed plate on the right-hand side rocker is to locate the torsion/spring to that rocker. Having this small plate will allow adjustment so there is no preload on the system.

The interesting thing is where Mercedes has fitted the front anti-roll bar. It is inside the left-hand torsion spring (3 indicates the left and right). Its lower spline will fit into a spline on the inner diameter of the left-hand torsion/spring and its top spline will be driven by the small-toothed plate.

When the car sits on the ground and the aerodynamic force starts to build up, the left-hand rocker will rotate clockwise. The right-hand rocker will rotate anti-clockwise and with the solid link connecting them in the middle they will rotate at the same ratio, closing the gap between them, effectively acting as a central damper.

When the car reaches a certain speed that central gap will become zero and the car will then sit on the silver mesh-style bump stop. In a straight line, this will then reduce the car’s vertical movement dramatically as this bump stop is very stiff.

However, in a right-hand corner when the car builds up lateral force and the chassis rolls, the left-hand rocker will rotate anti-clockwise and the right-hand rocker will also rotate anticlockwise. This will then twist the anti-roll bar. In this condition, it is the sum of the anti-roll bar stiffness and the torsion/spring that gives the car its roll stiffness.

Just to explain what a torsion/spring is, it is a round bar or tube with a spline at each end, something like 15-25cm long. One end is anchored to the chassis down at the driver’s feet and the other end to the rocker.

When the suspension moves downwards, it twists the bar and this is the stiffness that supports the car. A larger diameter, a thicker wall thickness, or a shorter torsion/spring will increase the vertical stiffness. The anti-roll bar design is very similar but the function is very different.

The torsion bar (2), power-steering assembly (5) and tyre tethers (6) are also shown.

I'm so excited that my illustrations are being converted into genuine works of art!
    To see them please follow this link www.giorgiopiola.com/art/

teak360, anunakki, classic308 and 6 others like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Geez....it gets more complicated. Just when I somewhat understood the heave and spring mechanism W07 & W08. I have seen pit pics of this.

Nice art work and analysis.

Would be nice to see an intricate video of how all these pieces co-exist amongst one another.

Igor Ound and daytona355 like this.
  3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Awesome . . . Thank you, Giorgio Piola. Your drawings are amazing!

daytona355 and of2worlds like this.
  4. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you! I have an agreement with MotorsportTV, I couldn't post the video here because it couldn't be embedded using MotorsportTV, it's a shame. The full article with the video is here though:
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-tech-front-suspension-secrets-1032547/

daytona355 likes this.
  5. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you! It is my passion..

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  7. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Thank you, Mr Piola for sharing your passion and talent with us! So... YES, we like your artwork! :)

8. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Thank you :)

tifoso2728 likes this.
  9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolute top notch.

Jeronimo GTO and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  10. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I keep being impressed about the amount of innovation in the oldest element of the car: the mechanical suspension. Excellent article!

11. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Fantastic work, thanks for posting it!

12. Giorgio Piola

Giorgio Piola Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Genoa
    Full Name:
    Giorgio Piola
    Pleasure!

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim

lol

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks as usual, Giorgio. You keep those of us who are ingegneri on our toes (and probably confuse those who aren't!) :D

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Could you explain this further.

16. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Giorgio, great work! I assume you are working from pictures, but do you ever have the car in front of you to match them up or get measurments??

Too bad I'm just a lowly race mechanic, I'll just stare at the pretty pictures until it comes to me :rolleyes:

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't like your art, I LOVE IT!!! Please post everything you do!!!!! :)

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cars weigh nothing yet they need power steering?

19. Worry not... 'Tracks get much smoother they'll just be glorified go-karts...no suspension necessary. I miss the days of yore....full droop and such..... :(

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    This what I’d keep F1 like. Ban all electronics other than on the steering wheel for driver’s interface and make everything else hydro-mechanical, including Kers. Cars would be a work of art to look at and understand and it would get rid of all the gimmicks of recent times.

21. How would the above change the appearance of the cars?

22. Lucky Jones

Lucky Jones Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Manteca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Probably due to the width of the wheels/tires/tyres. All that wide rubber would be pretty difficult to turn from low speed.

Maybe?

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Grande lavoro Giorgio!

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #24 teak360, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Absolutely beautiful artwork by Giorgio.

The key is that the pushrod is mounted at about a 45 degree angle to horizontal.
    Speaking hypothetically:
    If the pushrod is vertical, a .5mm shim will raise the ride height .5mm
    As the pushrod approaches horizontal, a .5mm shim will raise the ride height an amount approaching infinity.
    Since the pushrod is at a 45 degree angle and it is a fixed length, adding a .5mm shim means the suspension must move so that the pushrod rotates about it's fixed upper mount and becomes slightly more vertical, the angle to horizontal is now greater than 45 degrees. This movement necessarily lowers the bottom of the tire relative to the car about 1mm. If you were to add another .5mm shim, the next ride height change would be slightly less than 1mm, and the next even less until the pushrod becomes vertical. Then, a .5mm shim raises the ride height by .5mm.