1966 330 GT 2+2 Appraisal? (Columbus, OH Area) | FerrariChat

1966 330 GT 2+2 Appraisal? (Columbus, OH Area)

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by mlevett3, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    Does anyone know if there's an appraiser near to the Columbus area which could check out my '66 330 GT 2+2 for sale? It's got a fair deal of rust for the exhaust, but the body looks to be in decent shape.

Any advice as I embark on trying to sell this? I'm selling this for my dad and my plan of attack was to get an appraisal and then contact restoration shops with similar, restored cars on sale and go with the highest offer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 330's Inc.

330's Inc. Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    Full Name:
    Dwayne
    You should post this in the vintage thread, Hagerty valuation tool puts a number 4 at $216,000 2+2's are on the rise. The head hunters are on there way!

3. dnacorp

dnacorp Rookie

Dec 14, 2016
    EU
    Hi
    I am interested (based in EU) please can you send to me the VIN number and let me know of any developments before you sell the car.
    Do you have any more information / paperwork you can send to me, and you open to PPI inspection?

Kind regards

Lloyd
    [email protected]

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Welcome, Marshall.

I moved this thread to the Vintage Market section.

I'd suggest posting the serial number of the car.

You may be surprised at the responses you get right here.

I used to own a 330 2+2 and it was awesome. Values are quite good right now, though a little off their peak a year or so ago.

Good luck!

Matt

5. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    Thank you Matt, appreciate that.

I'm thinking I would get my own PPI and appraisal before fielding offers, so I can know a little bit more about what I'm selling. I'm mostly looking for an appraiser who I can trust to provide a decently accurate information for a something like this. Obviously, I don't want to leave money on the table or be way off in my asking price. I don't know that there is one local to Central Ohio.

My dad says it is stock except some work done to reinforce the body at the rear suspension attachments. I'll post the VIN when I get back down home.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd also suggest thinking outside Columbus. 330s are desired around the world.

Here is a very exhaustive list of every known 330 2+2 available for sale:
    http://www.330gt.com/Detail/RecentlyAvailable.htm

You can get a rough idea of what the value would be by finding a similar condition car.

Matt

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You should tread carefully. It looks like your dad has owned this car for a long time? That sort of story may cause it to sell better as a "garage find" than as a restored car.

peterp likes this.
  8. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    It's been in this garage for 27 years and the old house for another 10. How does it being a "garage find" change who I target to sell it to? I.e. would it do better at auction then or something?

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Gooding or RM Sothebys would do a great job of marketing it should you decide to auction it.

10. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Do you know anything about the lathe bed that is under the driver's door?

11. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    1936 Southbend, but I don't have an exact model.

BMWairhead likes this.
  12. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I love that stuff, but you're too far away for me. There are machinist forums that (similar to fchat) will id the bed quickly. Again, too far for me, but is the whole lathe around or just the bed?

13. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Hi Marshall,

I sent you a private message.

Thank you

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, there is a pretty good chance that it would do better. They would hype the story of the ownership, and that seems to sell cars. I think, also, that a new owner would then make a choice about how original to leave it (as the old saying goes, they can only be original once!), or how to restore it.

I'm assuming that is not original paint?

15. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    Thanks for the info! I'm just wary of the risk of auctions plus the associated fees cutting into any profits. The "garage find" angle is starting to make sense.

Yes, I forgot that it was repainted... 30 or so years ago. If I remember correctly it was originally a light bluish gray.

16. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    I think that the car is probably 8829. If so, it was repainted ~1975.
    8829 has an interesting history, Originally sold in Switzerland, it passed though the hands of Rob de la Rive Box and then Dick Merritt. Rob was Swiss and bought and sold had a lot of used Ferraris. Interesting article about Rob in the FCA Prancing Horse magazine, issue #131. Dick would frequently go to Europe, buy a car from Rob, drive it on vacation there, ship it back to the US and then re-sell it.

According to my records, it was Maroon back in 1973, earlier that the 1975 repaint. I don't know the original color. There is a B&W picture in the registry from 1973. The car is clearly dark, not a light blue-gray.

Marshall, is your Dad's name Dennis? If so, he was listed as owning a 1965 330 GT in the late 80s and early 90s. Presumably this car, but 8829 would have been made in the fall of 1966. However, US paperwork wasn't very accurate as Ferraris didn't have model years back then. My car, 8755, is registered as a 1967 even though is was finished and sold in July 1966. One of these days I need to argue with the WA DOL and get it re-titled as a '66.

Regards, Kerry
    www.330gt.com

17. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    No it's not Dennis, but it may be the car. He said it's in the registry, but under the wrong name. He picked it up in Green Bay.

And it's titled as a 1966 though he's always said it was a 1967. I won't be able to visit home until next weekend to check the s/n unfortunately.

18. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    The serial is 8829, so you got the right one. But Dennis must have had a different car because my dad bought this in June of 82.

Anyways, I'm taking more pictures and putting them in a Google Drive for anyone interested. A few have reached out through PMs so far.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think listing it here was a good idea. Let us know how the story turns out!

20. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    these are great cars... I had mine out this weekend and honestly , I can drive all day on the highway with the AC on , in Atlanta traffic, and keep up comfortably with all the yahoos on their phones driving 85mph weaving across 6 lanes. Does it run? shame all that moisture from the concrete has rusted the undercarriage, but if the frame is fine, everything comes apart in a straightforward manner and can be redone.... Tom Yang always said its better to restore one in rough shape since even the ones that appear to be nice ( which cost more) have to come apart anyway. please post more pics and on Tom's site as there may be some interest there as well. years ago there was a maserati 3500 for sale at Evans auto- in columbus- I remember talking to them about it.so they may have some italian insight for a PPI

21. mlevett3

mlevett3 Rookie

May 2, 2018
    Yes, I actually reached out to Evans Auto. Nice group of guys. I posted an ad in the classified section with more pictures.

22. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    My choice would also have been Evans, tho' I've never used them. I was going to buy a silver GTC on which they had done a PPI, this was back in '04. I think Shaughnessy bought that car, but not sure. I would put this car on Bring a Trailer, where I think it would do, and you could set (a reasonable) reserve and only pay $99 to list it. They'd bend over backwards, and then some to have this on their website. I have no interest in the car, but if I can help, send a PM. steve meltzer, '66 GTC/#8995. s

23. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Now at Gullwing. Peter Kumar does not sleep!

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Is the car at Gullwing the same car? See here: https://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/1967-ferrari-330gt-c-2793.htm

Seats are black, says chassis number is 25 from last and claims 99K KM whereas 8829 is pictured with around 37k km on the clock. Asking $379,000.

25. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Not that car pictured on the site Steve. Kumar sends out a mailing immediately after he buys a car using the photos the prior owner sent him, that way he might save shipping I guess, in having it shipped directly to the possible new buyer. Of course he leaves out the photos showing rust on the underside :). I think he has priced this at 229,000, he does usually price appropriately. The folks above who expressed an interest in the car I guess didn't pull the trigger. Peter seems always ready to do so.

miurasv likes this.