Pierto Fittipaldi Qualifying Crash: WEC 6HR Spa 05-04-18 | FerrariChat

Pierto Fittipaldi Qualifying Crash: WEC 6HR Spa 05-04-18

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jgonzalesm6, May 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    This happened today during quali. Reports are coming out that he has 2 broken legs with the right having multilple fractures.

Let's hope for a speedy recovery

Video is in English.

Pietro Fittipaldi sofre grave acidente na classificação do WEC em Spa-Francorchamps

2. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The FIA has released a statement regarding the condition of Pietro Fittipaldi. He was extracted from the vehicle while remaining conscious. He has been taken to the hospital with suspected fractures to BOTH of his legs.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    big crash.

sucks for Pietro, he was scheduled to race the Indy 500 this year. I'm assuming he's out for LM24 now too.

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Ugh! People are ridiculous - Dale Coyne's PR lady is being bombarded with calls and texts wanting to know if they will still be at Indy, who will be in the car, etc, etc.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    first I heard of his accident was a tweet from an IndyCar journo speculating on who would get his seat.

:rolleyes:

6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    heads-up

Pietro Fittipaldi has undergone a successful operation after his crash during WEC qualifying at Spa and has left intensive care.

7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    rdefabri likes this.
  8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    That's some massive tub damage, don't think I've seen a LMP1 with that level of structural damage in quite some time. Τhe A-Pillar damage was caused by the extraction team. They did the A-Pillar cut first and then did cut in front of the driver. It honestly is surprising that the FIA hasn't mandated SAFER barriers in high-speed zones like that. They've saved a lot of lives on NASCAR and Indycar circuits. He is very lucky that he has broken his legs. It could have been worse.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It is somewhat remarkable that the front wheels are still attached.

NürScud likes this.
  10. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Glad he is ok. I'm surprised at the injuries given the deflection angle, hitting the tires and that the car was in fairly decent shape after impact. Makes me wonder about the safety of that car design because at those speeds a contact can be much worse (not hitting double row of tires and hitting at a more direct angle) and I'd hate to see what happens then.

Disclaimer-- I am not criticizing him (I race cars and have been in my share of accidents) and also know that some accidents that look horrific you can walk away from and others that look mundane like (earnharts) can be life ending. This accident was at high speed but I am still surprised that the safety measures in the car and track did not do a better job at protecting the driver. I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Isobel and NürScud like this.
  11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    NürScud likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed