Anyone change dash bulbs to LED? | FerrariChat

Anyone change dash bulbs to LED?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by meandmyredcorvette, Apr 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I am hoping that someone can tell me if they have had success in replacing dash bulbs to led bulbs and if so how hard or easy was it.Any tips?

2. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Sorry

I have a 1983 512 bbi.

3. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I have change them, first is to by-bass dimmer.
    Problem is to find LED's that fit in and are good quality.
    LED has to be forward fasing and absolutely RED in color.

Two gauges above radio are not easy to remove.

Attached Files:

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Why on earth would you do so Dino ?

5. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It is very difficult to see gauges at night My instrument cluster is extremely dim and I have the dimmer switch as high as it will go

Melvok likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may clean the dimmer and also check the voltage output and ground

7. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    You can clean it, but actually bypass dimmer compleatly gives even more light.
    I did it because lowering heat from bulbs is one of positive aspects on LED's, but light is in my opinion better. I understand incandescent buls gives that "fire" glow to light, what led can not, but led light is so pure red and sharp, that it gives "new" look ot cluster, without loisng originality. Here is Testarossa cluster with same LED's Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Impressive work Mikale ! Thanx for sharing here ... any more pics on how you did it, any details of used Leds ?

Did you also do the tail lights ?

9. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Smaller then 12mm, forvard facing LED's will fit and works. (if someone future reads this bulb what are available might not be around anymore)

I have change tail lights for both cars. I found odd well made, good guality LED Bay15s RED lights to 512BB, they work great and no longer available.
    But I have try out Chinese LED's and they are mostly crap, not worth buing. issue is that light "on" and brake light "on" is so little difference and chinese stuff does not hold vibration and brake them self.

Only light I would regoment are: Philips, Osram and Sylvania, they work, but beware light patern and too bright lights.

Why would you change bulbs, you ask?
    Main advantage is people behind see brake light better and brighter, because these old cars do not have third brake light and people are not used to cars that do not have it, I see it is better to have sharper lights that change more volume of light. Again, use only RED lights in brake lights, never use white.

10. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Can you provide me bulb information please

11. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I found some red 4 led bulbs, I will let you know how it goes

12. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Please let us know, I would be curious. Will you have to bypass the dimmer switch?

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Mutton dressed as lamb hahah. The original lights fit the bill and are cheap. I personally think adding LEDs in the cockpit is a no no. The only execption is baybe the overhead lights as they are useless.

14. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I have new, better looking LED bulbs coming, I try them out and then send you information.

Do note, that I have changed all original gauge lenses to real glass, no more foggy plastic, as you can see from this picture. I had glass shop made me set, it does not scratch like plastic and this is how gauges would have looked when new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MaseratiMike and EZORED like this.
  15. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Please let us know the brand and part number of the LED's...thanks for your work.

16. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    I've just replaced all the bulbs with LED's and it does make a difference. I used 'white' LED's not the coloured ones as I retained the red lens in each gauge.

However, a much bigger improvement is replacing the original gauge plastic lenses with glass...massive change! the combination of the two has now restored the gauges to as new (maybe even better!) Its not possible to see how scratched up and 'hazzy' the plastic lenses are until you remove them and hold them up to the light...4 or 5 together and it was not possible to see through them, and they looked fine on the car.