Best 355 Upgrades Repairs, Etc. | FerrariChat

Best 355 Upgrades Repairs, Etc.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fundlawyer, May 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    It seems like the first upgrade most people make on a 355 is the exhaust. I have not touched my stock exhaust because I think it sounds pretty awesome already, so the following opinion is given with that in mind.

I am extremely impressed with the results from rebuilding my shocks with Delta Vee, switching to a 360 steering wheel and installing superformance bushings and new ball joints on the front end. Someone on these boards said that the 360 steering wheel is the best upgrade you can make to the 355 and I might have to agree. What a difference! The car feels more responsive and it shrinks the car. Also, it looks great.

Similarly, the Delta Vee shocks are a must. I have had people tell me that if your shocks are not leaking, they are fine. Mine were not leaking and after driving the car with my new shocks, I can tell you that my old shocks were trash. I kept making excuses for the way the car handled by trelling myself “Hey, its a 23 yers old car”. That wasnt the problem. The car now handles and rides reasonably close to modern performance car levels.

It is hard to isolate how much impact the new bushings and ball joints have had on the way the car handles since they were done at the same time as the shocks, but I have a hard time believing that 23 year old bushings and ball joints were performing as intended.

My car drives tight and feels great. The upgrades were worth every penny. If you are not ready to lay out the cash for the shocks, I would do the steering wheel - you will be “shocked” how much better it feels.

2. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for this info. I’ve always felt that the suspension is the weak point on my 355. I rarely drive it fast but the few times I’ve been into triple digits were a little scary. It was much more floaty than I expected. On a drive with more modern cars I had trouble keeping up not because of a lack of power but a lack of confidence that the suspension could handle the road conditions at triple digit speeds.

I’m not familiar with the Delta Vee shocks, can you give us some details? Pricing, where you got them, installation, etc...

3. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Delta Vee simply rebuilds the OEM shocks on your car. I think its $450 a shock for the rebuild. Just google Delta Vee and you will find the site. You can also get your shocks rebuilt by Bilstein.

I have not tracked the car with the new suspension, but when I do, I will post a full video and report.

4. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    indeed the 360 steering wheel is hands down one of the best upgrades..

unless recently changed.. Bilstein no longer offers rebuild service, and in fact the last I heard DeltaVee had stopped temporarily too unless you had it done recently

I'll check out the superformance bushings and balljoint kit..

5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
  6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Very interesting post! My 97 spider doesn’t have the high speed issues you describe jgriff so it sounds like you need some suspension freshening (and a good alignment perhaps?). My car is stable at “higher” speeds ;)

Regarding the 360 wheel, I had a 360 before the 355 and always said the 360 steering wheel is the nicest modern Ferrari steering wheel. Right dimensions, uncluttered with no buttons on it (don’t get me going on the 458 and later steering wheels), simple 3 spoke with well-placed grips and looks great. Unfortunately for me, I like to keep things stock (besides a tubi exhaust and challenge grill although I used an OEM grill), but I can definitely see why someone would want to upgrade to the 360 wheel!

Doug- my 355 had the stock exhaust when I got it- I put a used tubi on but will say even before I made the switch that the stock exhaust does sound well enough to leave alone- between a decent volume of sound, the bypass valves that open at higher rpm and throttle, and the flat crank v8 it is quite nice- the tubi is just that much better but I could see leaving it stock for your preference to do the upgrades that you did. The 360 stock exhaust is probably the worst stock exhaust from Ferrari- they went overboard trying to comply with multi-market noise restrictions and my dad’s lexus es300 sounds about as sexy at low rpms :). My 360 had a tubi on it when I got it- and most 360s have an aftermarket exhaust. I did put hyperflow cats on both my old 360 and this 355...

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I'm going back to stock exhaust on my 355 spider, nice sound with the top down, no need to say hey look at me its honda boy racer LOL

8. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    My experience also, although I will say it was night and day better after new tires and alignment. These cars seem to respond differently to tires and tire pressures.

Best upgrade I found so far is a full tank of gas and a sunny day..... :)

9. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    yes indeed ive found tire pressure plays significant roll in handling just on the street..
    before taking my car out for first brief run I checked pressure of all tires.. they were all off by 3-5psi after sitting approx. 5.5 months.
    the ~6km drive to the "free" air hose in my area ( cannot accept to pay $1.50 for air), the car felt very mushy..
    put the air back to spec.. and noticed immediately it firmed up.. unlike regular cars.. tire can be missing 10psi and not notice anything.

however in regards to stock exhaust.. my car had it when I first got it.. it was quite disappointing, it was the first thing I bought within 2 weeks of owning the car.. found a Nouvalari here.. the stock exhaust is a useless boat anchor.. huge piece of junk hanging off the back..

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yassa likes this.
  11. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
  12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Good choice, I run soft bushings on street cars. Harder ones tend to give less grip on the streets