Defrost Vents Popping Up F430 | FerrariChat

Defrost Vents Popping Up F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by bupilot, Apr 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Gents,

Anybody successful with methods to re-secure defrost vents that have popped up? Both of mine have started to come loose of whatever retention devices/clips holds them down and are popping up and contacting the windshield producing an annoying rattle. Ricambi's diagram doesn't appear to show any mounting hardware, just the vents and the dash. Would really like to fix without removing the dash so hoping there's a common fix for this. Did a search but only found bits of info or somebody working a solution but not results.

Thanks,
    Jason

Walt Gamble likes this.
  2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    They're secured with spring clips on a few plastic posts that go through the dash.

If the vents have popped up and off the dash, then there's no way to remount them with the stock spring clips without removing the dash.

If your vents are still straight (the sun will sometimes warp those plastic vents and will no longer be straight), you can put a few gobs of silicone or hot glue along the dash and then the vents will attach back down to the dash with the "glue".

As a FYI, mine were glued down but ended up warping and hitting the windshield which would rattle and drive me crazy so I just pulled them both off.

bupilot likes this.
  3. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    I used industrial Velcro tabs on each end...works fine. Other than they've turned tacky they look fine.
    Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

bupilot likes this.
  4. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Thanks for the info guys, was hoping I could replace some hardware and bring it back to print but will go the glue or velcro route.

5. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I used PVC(E) cement on mine. Best I know of for fastening porous to non-porous materials, e.g. felt to metal, leather to plastic, etc. Remains flexible after setting. I buy it by the jug for my pipe organ work, but you can find it on E Bay in four oz squeeze bottles. Smallest quantity you need is best as it has a 6 month shelf life.

bupilot likes this.
  6. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Mine too have come up on the 430. One is up on the middle passenger, otherwise they are both bent. I am pretty obsessive about making them right, but I've seen so many that have the issu, I won't bother. It's like the dash getting heat spots and coming unglued, or some have the headliner fall down, just a known issue. Unless it's a utter eye sore, I leave mine alone. I did ceramic tint the front window to try to prevent any more damage do the dash. That and I apply leather conditioner to that top, more ruff portion of the dash to keep it staying moist.

7. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Jason, Glad you brought this up..same condition for my vents I went with the Velcro method seems like it is working but I'm not 100% content with it..
    When time permits I will fabricate new male tabs on vents which insert into dash..
    K//

8. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Your leather is shrinking which is why your vents are popping up. There is no stopping it and any fix will be temporary. Your next problem will be the leather "bubbling up" on the dash. I would get ready to drop $5K to have your dash redone - very common problem. If you do get it redone, there is a gentleman on here that makes aluminum vents to replace the plastic ones. I would recommend you use them as they can be bolted in and will not come up. The plastic clips are cheap and a problem.

EZORED and Craig Farmer like this.
  9. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Here's the problem. There is 3mm layer of foam glued to the leather then the leather and foam is glued to the F/glass dash in time the foam breaks/deteriorates and ur left with loose leather/ bubble/indentations on ur dash etc!. As Chris said the leather around the vents is dead. If you need billet vents PM me. Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck and EZORED like this.
  10. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I pulled the entire dash top off and replaced it with a brand new OEM unit that I found on ebay. It even had the same deviated stitching. I still have the original one which will make it faster to have recovered ahead of time if someone wants to go that route.

I also replaced the vents with rizzo308's billet versions as the original one's mounting tabs were broken off. For a cleaner install I chamfered its mounting holes and fastened using flush-mounted hex key screws. These will NOT break and pop up.

Just avoid direct sun on your dash to minimize this from happening to you.

11. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    whatheheck likes this.
  12. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the pics. I was fixing my vents today and from your picture, I see that the post snapped off of my vents. Yeah, pretty crappy design.

13. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Once the leather starts to dry out and shrink it's like a tsunami there no way of stopping it.

14. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Mine warped so I pulled them off, cleaned them up and used adhesive to fix them to the vents.

15. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I pulled my dash and installed Rizzo's billet pieces. If you see the plastic vent coming loose, it is your leather shrinking. If you notice it early on, immediately get the billet aluminum from Rizzo, and install. Since you are bolting the new piece in place, it will hold the leather in place and keeps it from shrinking further. apply leather conditioner, and you should be good to go. If you wait too long, you may not be able to save the leather.

16. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I was under the impression the dash had to be out to install the billet vents, so you are able to install with the dash in place?

17. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I’d be interested If the billets can be installed without yanking the dash. What’s the cost of the vents?

18. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately, Rizzo’s Billet vents have to be installed by taking the dash out. They need to be tightened using a wing nut on the underside of the vent for each screw that you utilize to hold them in place. Trust me, it was a pain but I’m glad that it is done.

19. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I agree it is a pain. I found a great thread here to remove the dash. If you wait, you will be out the cost of removing the dash anyway, and leather replacement. Big bucks! If you are handy and have tools, it is just time, not brain surgery. Just take lots of photos and you will be good to go. FYI, you do not need to remove the steering wheel itself to do this. Dennis

20. Beaker430

Beaker430 Karting

Apr 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Christofer Hoff
    I'm interested in your billet units -- do you need to disassemble/R&R the dash to install them? I thought I'd ask publicly vs PM...but can certainly repeat in private :)

21. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I personally bought Rizzo's billet vents and i couldn't be more happy with these vents. It requires the dashboard to come out but its worth the effort. The stock vents will not only worp but they will also become sticky and gooey.

22. Beaker430

Beaker430 Karting

Apr 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Christofer Hoff
    Yep...mine have already done both...I’d love to find them in carbon

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name: