Buying in Ontario, plating in Quebec ? | FerrariChat

Buying in Ontario, plating in Quebec ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by djbono, May 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djbono

djbono Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Lunettes Paysano
    Hi all,
    about to make my first proper car purchase, issue is - the car is in a used dealership, in Ontario. Currently the car is apparently in excellent condition, though its not "platable" in Ontario (dealership has not renewed the ontario inspection.)

Anyone with such experience ? How's the deal with taxes ?
    Way I see it - if I buy it from there, and get it delivered to QC, and then wait 7 days bfore plating it I would...
    - Pay only 5% (TPS) on the purchase, at the moment of purchasing
    - Pay 1k-2k to get it delivered (?)
    - Pay 7.5% (TVQ) at the moment of plating, in QC, should it pass all tests.

I was hoping to drive it down myself, but seems I would need to
    - pay up 13% sales tax in Ontario
    - try/hope to get it certified
    - pay 7.5% sales taxes while plating it in QC
    - submitting form VD87, hoping to get 8% Ontario sales tax back at some point in time

I'm ok with 'lending" ontario 8% of the car.s value... but I would rather go with the easiest/painless solution - seems its to get it delivered and wait 7 days ?

Anyone with the experience could comment ?

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Get it delivered and wait the 7 days. Claiming taxes back is never a clean deal and it is never fun to ask for money back from the government even though they are experts at taking it.

Alternatively I am not sure how it works in Quebec but is there a mechanism to place Quebec license plates on a car in Ontario, drive it to Quebec, and then to the transfer of ownership there? During the drive if you got stopped you should have with you copies of the sales receipt, your insurance and preferably a copy of a document from your insurance company showing insurance for that car, and ownership of the plates. If you don't drive like a lunatic your chances of being stopped are slim and if you do get stopped with all that paperwork you may only get a ticket for an incorrect registration or something trivial like that. I've been told that the transitional period for 3-4 days can be a little grey in interpretation so as long as you act responsibly, AND the dealership acknowledges that the car is for immediate export (and therefore does not charge you Ontario taxes) then driving it yourself should not pose a problem. Please do not take any of this as legal advice but I think you have some options here.

3. djbono

djbono Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Lunettes Paysano
    Thanks;
    will check with Quebec's SAAQ (DMV) - if I could get a temp QC license for driving it back.
    There's loads of conflicting info on Ontario's, Quebec's and Federal sites.

4. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    You could also flatbed it and remove the risk of a traffic stop

5. sapguy

sapguy Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Borrow a buddy's Dealer Plate, take the VIA train to GTA, buy the car and drive the 401 at the speed limit until you hit Quebec

6. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Doesn't Ontario or Quebec have temporary trip permits available? In BC you can buy a temp plate for like $30 and move a car around the province or even out.

7. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Do it legally. Just get a temp plate from Ontario. I bought a car last year in Quebec and drove it to AB via the USA on a Quebec temp plate. All I paid was GST, since I live in AB and that was a used car bought at a new car dealership.

You only pay GST in Ontario.... then Quebec tax when you register it in Quebec. You do need to show proof of residence in Quebec for that to work.

8. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Bought a TR back in 2009 in Ontario and got it delivered in Quebec City.
    You’ll have to go through inspection at a SAAQ service point.
    When I bought I had a deal with the seller that if something went wrong during inspection he would have to pay for it to be up to par.
    Good thing since the steering rack was woobly and it was refused at the inspection.