Back with a 458 Spider! | FerrariChat

Back with a 458 Spider!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by QueueCumber, May 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Excited to be back!

I had a 458 Italia a few years ago.

Then a Speciale for a year, which I got out of before major price drops.

Then GT4 and 991.1 TTS cab (with Sam at ByDesign's stage 3--soon to be stage 4).

Trading in the GT4 to get back into a 458, but this time a spider. The TTS cab ruined me for coupes...

I was on the fence about spending the extra on a spider, but the one they had was optioned perfectly, one owner, and low miles. Hearing that engine through the little rear window and with the top down was a whole level of experience beyond the 458 coupe and speciale for me.

Excited to post pics when I pick it up Monday!

sbenus and evo3 like this.
  2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    How exciting to reacquaint yourself with an old love! Congratulations!!

What will the stage four bring the numbers up to on your cab?

QueueCumber likes this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Did exactly the same....458, Speciale and now a 15 458 Spider. The noise and drama of the spider is unrivaled amongst the 3. Downside is significant loss of rigidity and all the flex but I’m using the spider as a cruiser which is more of what it is intended for. I was contemplating a loud exhaust upgrade but think it’s not needed after a few months of ownership.

Pics?

QueueCumber likes this.
  4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    did you buy the grey one in CT?

QueueCumber likes this.
  5. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Will take some pics Monday at pickup. Too much planned this weekend or I would have picked up tomorrow. The weekend will surely crawl along now... At least the weather isn’t supposed to be great.

Yeah, I’ve been contemplating exhaust as well. The Klein exhaust sounds amazing. Going to give it a little time first. It already has such a wonderful sound. Plus, I need to keep it a little toned down so the GF wants to ride in it.

wrs and sbenus like this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Looking forward to the pictures. Tell Sam I said hi.

QueueCumber likes this.
  7. sbenus

sbenus Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2009
    San Juan
    Full Name:
    Simon
    keep it 100 Queue, you saw my spider on instagram (i'm watches_on_wheels) and thought "this chap also has fine taste in watches and cats. I must follow suit with the car" :D

congrats on the new toy!

QueueCumber likes this.
  8. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Not even sure. I know that cars with similar mods are doing insane 1/4 miles for having bolt-ons only. I just know how much faster it feels when pushing the pedal, and how much louder the engine sounds going through tunnels... lol

9. scarfiotti355

scarfiotti355 Karting

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Lodovico

QueueCumber...it is also my impression, I find that the sound of the 458 spider is more beautiful , powerful and more acute than that of the Speciale and aperta
    what do you think?

In any case no need to modify the exhaust

Congratulation for the flashback and love for this extraordinary car that is the 458
    The 458 spider is very collector Car and sought in the next few years

QueueCumber likes this.
  10. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    I haven't driven an Aperta, but it does seem more lively sounding and responsive than the Speciale, but I haven't had the Speciale for almost a year, so it might be a foggy memory...

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You are remembering correctly. The Speciale is deeper and a touch louder, it lost the high pitch though. If you’ve never owned a 458 then the Speciale sounds amazing. Otherwise, it really lost a lot of the character.

Drove my spider for an hour yesterday. What a treat. Don’t recall how to view the miles so I guess I’ll just keep driving.

430 Scooter and QueueCumber like this.
  12. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Tonight may be one of the longest nights of my life. I wish I had a sedative to help me sleep... lol

430 Scooter likes this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Drove another 90 min...no regard for mileage. Just wails! I love it.

430 Scooter and QueueCumber like this.
  14. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Listening to the decat Kline exhaust makes it very tempting....

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s louder.

But the best setup I’ve heard is Carlo’s. Epic.

16. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    What does he have on it?

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    He’d have to reply as I don’t recall.

18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I received an email notice today that a car I was watching has now been listed as sold...
    great day to pick it up.
    best of luck!

QueueCumber likes this.
  19. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    sbenus likes this.
  20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Boy this car is perfect. The racing eats in alcantara!; all of the carbon, is that carbon on the frame in this picture above?; did I see lasers installed in the front? you got a great deal imo.
    love it, congrats again.

QueueCumber likes this.
  21. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Agreed. It has all the right options. When I went to do a test drive I was screwed. Once I saw it in person and drove it, it was over...

Front axle lift as well, which I won't have to use a lot, but is definitely nice to have in these. Convertable ceiling is also alcantara.

22. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    It doesn't have the high end stereo option, but IMO it's a wasted option in the 458 anyway. with the motor running and revving, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Besides, that's what home audio and home theater is for anyway. ;)

I honestly can't tell the difference between the high end version I had in the Italia and this version. The engine makes refined listening sort of pointless.

23. QueueCumber

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Now I will need to eventually decide what I want to do with the exhaust. Ferrari installs and warranties Tubi and Akrapovic (which I still can't pronounce even after someone at the dealership told me the name like 10 times... lol). Akrapovic inconel has the F1 sound I want, but Kline can be had at almost half the price and almost the same F1 sound.

For now I will probably have the exhaust valve disconnected. The switch between on and off is annoying and disrupts the driving experience.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I did my switch day one in all three 458’s, huge difference.
    And after a few drives I felt I didn’t need to upgrade the exhaust in the spider.
    This ‘15 is particularly well tuned and aggressive, more so than my coupe was. Seems poppier and louder and a lot more character.

Afonsolaw and QueueCumber like this.