Ferrari 812 Carbon exterior or not? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 812 Carbon exterior or not?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MrJoe, Jan 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrJoe

MrJoe Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    South Europe
    This is my current configuration: Grigio Silverstone with carbon options in the front wing, under the door and around the back side bumpers (basically everywhere except the front "mouth" and rear diffuser. Interior is black leather with yellow stitching.

Since I saw a few pictures with colored rear side bumper, and it looks good, I am wondering if it is worth it speccing with carbon? An idea would be to have the side bumpers in GS and the rear diffuser in carbon.

Also I am scratching my head over yellow calipers vs GS.

Please help :)

Joe

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Since you have the yellow notes inside the car , I think you could go for the yellow callipers to have a consistent grigio / giallo combination...
    GS is a very good choice, far better in reality than in the pictures from the configurator.
    I also think your choice for carbon is good, with some light colors I am disturbed by the painted diffuser, but not with GS.
    Whatever you chose that you like, congrats :)

MelbourneCarl likes this.
  3. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    End of the thread

Your combo is fabulous, I strongly suggest Silver or black calipers . I absolutely love the standard wheels in grey.

Steph355au, carlom001 and Traveller like this.
  4. MrJoe

MrJoe Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    South Europe
    I was thinking Silver Calipers as well, however they might look a bit out of place as there is no silver color anywhere else.

P.s. The center wheel caps are in carbon and the exhaust is titanium, which should look like opaque dark grey and should match the wheels

jumpinjohn likes this.
  5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    That's personnal, but I'vse seen many grey ferraris with silver calipers and they look perfectly natural in a grey environment...

You see them, but they don't pop up too much like yellow ones . That picture bellow is my fetish, my favorite. Color is canna di fucile with special order color match for the wheels. The general theme of grey body and grey wheels is similar to you

@CH LOMBARDIA LIBERA MGP !!! Ahaah ;)

Bas, Cgk360 and irule like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My preference is no CF exterior bits, but I think with your spec it would look great. I don't like the painted side sills and bumper because it makes the design look heavier- at least to my eyes- something it does not need! So its personal preference. I suggest rather than grey wheels go with the diamond finished wheels. And then I would do silver calipers. Silver calipers will compliment the car and also it will work with the CF and the diamond wheels. For interior, since you are doing black/ yellow, make sure to do the horses on the headrests in yellow.

I don't want to inject my own preferences too strongly, but while black will work just fine with GS, for me at least, I would want something more special than "just" black leather, something found on so many cars. I also think GS on the 812 comes off as a "warm" color and black usually comes off to me as either neutral or slightly cool. I would be tempted to pare it with Cuoio leather and maybe Grigio Chiaro stitch- echoing the warmth of the GS.

7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it is a beautiful spec! I would do painted exhaust surrounds and carbon diffuser. Changed our spec to reflect that change myself!

Regarding the calipers, I prefer the grey over silver caliper although black will be nice as well. I love the carbon center caps!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. irule

irule Rookie

Nov 25, 2012
    Europe
    CdF is darker than GS, right?

9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely

irule likes this.
  10. MrJoe

MrJoe Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    South Europe
    I Agree completely regarding the black leather, as is found on most of the car nowadays, however it is a "safe" choice, and with the yellow stitching it should feel "special" enough to differentiate from a mass production car.

the alternative for the interior would be Iroko/Cuoio with dark grey horse and Iroko/Cuoio stitching, but at the end black and yellow is an evergreen

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. MrJoe

MrJoe Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    South Europe
    I guess I will end up with a spec very similar to my FF, with the addition of more "race" accents such as carbon fiber, shields, titanium exhaust for the exterior and yellow horse + stitching + full carbon dash for the interior.

ScottS, irule and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I went with GS exterior, black wheels, yellow calipers, black diffuser, black pipes, black interior with racing seats and grey stitching, no carbon exterior, all carbon interior to darken the inside to match. Fingers crossed!

13. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    So true the configurator doesn’t do GS justice. I almost went for GS matte...couldn’t pull the trigger

14. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I am configuring my 812 now w the same color combo ... I chose the black caliber, dark grey rims, carbon center, black shields, yellow stitching and no carbon fiber on the exterior... my 488 has carbon fiber on the front, on the back and on the defuser but u cannot really notice it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Good to know I backed out of the carbon exterior 488 Spider and always wondered if I should of...

Jordan68 likes this.
  16. MrJoe

MrJoe Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    South Europe
    With this you are making re-consider the outside carbon on my 812. Decisions decisions....

17. MrJoe

MrJoe Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    South Europe
    I don't think a Matte color suits the 812, and you save 20K, you made the right choice

Dolceexte likes this.
  18. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Let us know what you go with finally!

19. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mr Joe, no offense, but I think that car deserves a little more contrast. It looks great in the light -- lots of highlights dancing off those great lines, but it's the light that's creating the contrast in the grab from your build. If the car is in ever in a shadow (overcast?), it's washed out, monochrome central.

20. MrJoe

MrJoe Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    South Europe
    I am also considering a lighter shade of grey because of this, something like Grigio Titanio, which form pictures looks really nice on the 812.

Interior I narrowed it down between black leather and yellow stitching vs cuoio seats and black stitching, which would go well with either shade of gray chosen on the exterior. Cuoio variant being a more classic/elegant option.

PS a note on the wheel: I like the Tdf style rim, however for some reason I have this concept stuck in my head that because is a wheel specifically launched for the Tdf it would not feel right having it on the 812.

carlom001 likes this.
  21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I spec’d the Tdf wheel and feel very right! I like the look better. And I believe it may be lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. richigga

richigga Rookie

Sep 27, 2017
    Full Name:
    MC
    here is the photos of my 812 that has arrived, gonna go pick it up this week. we have similar taste and i think this could give u some idea. i didnt do exterior carbon just because its expensive to replace later if gets damaged .before seeing the car i hate the matt gray/black exterior parts. but after seeing it in person it looks alright..goes well with the whole car since GS gives the car such aggressive look. also did the yellow caliper and inside stitchings as well. all black interior but with some alc touchs cause i like the feel of it. also have the seatbelt in yellow so i didnt go for the yellow straps interior, felt like it would be too much of yellow.(do considering wrap the matt parts in black, but im scare it will ruin the look). i hope this can help in some sort of way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Congrats!

24. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    If a carbon option is available for the front inlet area (or mouth) then I would take it.
    I dislike (to put it mildly) the amount of plastic/fibreglass in that area on a car of this level and price tag. SImilarly the diffuser. It looks cheap. I address those items first myself. Just my 2c.

25. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric