Intake Manifold Gasket | FerrariChat

Intake Manifold Gasket

Discussion in 'New England' started by Autohaus of Boston, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    20 Mill lane Braintree MA 02184
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    This 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider came in with the check engine light, engine idling very rough, consistently stalling, backfiring, and all kinds of issues. A common problem with many of these cars is that the intake manifold gasket has a tendency of breaking and creating a large vacuum leak which creates all kinds of drivability issues. Many of these cars such as the 360, 430, 550, and 575 should have their intake manifold gaskets updated with the new Ferrari-designed material to prevent this problem. The check engine light issues and drivability issues created by small or large vacuum leaks is hard to find. Many times - oxygen sensors or emission components get replaced because the fuel mixture is not right and several other issues created by faulty intake manifold gaskets. This is a problem known by Ferrari and it is recommend to update the intake manifold gaskets to the updated Ferrari-designed material. Once updated, the issues of stalling, check engine light, and many hard-to-find issues are resolved. This client’s Ferrari 360 Spider is now running great with the service performed by Tony Ferrari with Autohaus of Boston.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the info. Do you know when Ferrari switched to the new intake gaskets? I have a 2000 550 with original gaskets. I would assume they are the old design?

3. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Your welcome and yes, the early model 550's have the old paper style gaskets, it wasn't till the 575 when they switched to the updated gaskets. We recommend on your next major service to have those updated, to prevent drivability issues in the future.

4. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you.

5. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Would you also know the other two coolant hoses besides the large one from the water pump that need to be replaced under the 550's intake manifold?

6. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Yes at would be the right time to replace the bypass coolant hose and the vent return coolant hose at the same time inspect the large one !

7. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you once again

8. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    You are very welcome.

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    One would assume that given the year and model ranges you are identifying, that the 456/456M engines would be affected similarly. ??

10. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Good morning,chances are if your 456/456M never had the intake removed for any type of service to be performed still has the old style paper gasket.

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It had a major just last year as part of the purchase agreement but I don't know if the intakes were removed. I suspect if it wasn't necessary, then likely not. I know the coolant hoses weren't swapped at that time. Mores the pity....

12. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    One way of telling if the gasket has been replaced with an updated one take a good look of the base of the intake manifold you should be able to see a black color gasket.Take a good picture feel free to email it to me.

13. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Thanks for the expertise and sharing in the group...

Quick question -- from your experience, would a CEL happen due to swapping of the air intake from a Ferrari 360 CS to a regular 360 (spider)? The CS one is less restrictive (closed air duct) whereas the 360 regular (spider one at least) has a bunch of baffles slowing down the air flow.

We've been getting CEL 1339 which is left side 'timing' in the F430 manual (assume similar in the 360?).

Thoughts?

14. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    P1339 Alignment Between Camshaft And Crankshaft Signal (Bank 2) Camshaft position advanced (max) , In my professional opinion changing the intake should not have caused this issue. Possible cause is the timing correlation between the crank shaft and cam shaft is off, possible faulty timing variator.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Performed this recently, my codes (P0152/32) came back. What torque specs did you use for the intake nuts? I wasn't able to find it in the WSM.

16. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Torque specs on the intake manifold nuts per Ferrari is 10Nm or 88in-lb

17. Speed seeker Don

Feb 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Donald Roskos
    My 2004 360 Spyder has the same problem . Is there anything special about replacing the gaskets myself? Is it a trickly unbolt and rebolt job. I have done similar repairs on other cars?

18. Speed seeker Don

Feb 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Donald Roskos
    Well I couldn't wait for a reply. I had a local shop do it and they said that to get at the intake required either to take off the convertible top or enter thru the panel behind the seats and take the plenum apart and use new gaskets to put it all back together. We opted for the lattre becuz we just got the top working properly after a lot of work and money. to make a long story short the job is done after a bill of $2000. No chek engine light and every thing seems ok. /these mechanics chased the chek engine problem for a year and didn't find it until I went to a more experienced shop who diagnosed it as soon as I pulled it in the door. Oh well, just the benefits of driving a Ferrari which costs 5 times the normal cost to repair. Ugh. Maybe i want a new midengine Corvette.

430sixspeed likes this.
  19. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So the problem was just degraded intake manifold gaskets and nothing else?

20. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Is all this cars are getting a little older degraded intake manifold gaskets are starting to cause drivability issues, faulty Intake manifold gaskets they cause major problems in the fuel trim, for the most part overlooked. We decided to included to service and reseal the intake is part of all Major services.

21. 430sixspeed

430sixspeed Rookie

Apr 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you, as always.

22. Speed seeker Don

Feb 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Donald Roskos
    yes. So far the cel is out and everything is good. Over the last 2 years I have paid for various emission valves to be cleaned which never completly solved the problem. the check engine light used to keep appearing. I was told by the more experienced Ferrari shop that the intake manifold problem is well known.

430sixspeed likes this.
  23. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    2002 Ferrari 360 spider in for complete F1 System rebuilt, and intake manifold reseal also refinished with new Ferrari red wrinkle paint and soda blast.

Attached Files:

430sixspeed likes this.
  24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    02 Modena here, I've been troubleshooting a glowing cat issue on both banks last 8 weeks.

Suspect lower intake gaskets as possible problem.

Fuel trims are OK, no CEL. Did not readily see a leak with smoke test.... but using a cheapo amazon smoke machine..

If fuel trims near 0 ST and LT..... can I rule out intake man leaks? Or vac leaks as a whole?

Cheers.