McLaren 720s ownership | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McLaren 720s ownership

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by JAM1, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Going on a couple weeks with the car and it just keeps getting better. The balance is incredible and I don't ever feel like it's out of control. The power and acceleration throughout the range is intoxicating. I'm hoping to do a track event to explore the limits a bit under a safe/controlled setting... but I can't imagine anything outside of a purpose built racecar could outperform this thing. It's a remarkable piece of engineering.

of2worlds, Gh21631, frefan and 3 others like this.
  2. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Love that, well done & congrats

3. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    love that car..... hope to own one soon

of2worlds likes this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    These kids can't say that...

5. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep 700 wheel HP in a very light rear wheel drive car with traction control turned off will definitely do that... 3rd gear in the 720S is where the magic happens

Whether using launch control or just mashing it from a dig, the stability is incredible if you allow the car to just do its thing.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    By end of 3rd gear your going about 135 I’m guessing?

7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for posting. When I first saw the outside video I wondered what settings they had the car in. It's obviously cold out and I'd bet my car they didn't have the tires anywhere near warmed up to operating temps - which is probably why they didn't (couldn't) put the car in launch mode to film. From the inside camera angle you can see it's set in track performance & suspension and I'd bet the other controls were off too - brilliant with cold tires and a kid driving... but just think of all the youtube hits they'll get for this!

Here is a slightly different perspective on how controlled this car is (in the right hands!):

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Bummer. Glad no one was hurt. No doubt the youngster feels bad and hopefully learned a life lesson. Looks like a classic lift oversteer scenario to me. 720hp is no joke.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Did the Audi driver sustain any injuries? Everyone else involved was able to get out of the two cars, but it seems like he/she was not. Hope they were just shaken up and not injured.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Who in their right mind is giving their kid a 700hp car to go mess around with?

We all did stupid things when we were kids. However, when I made 'interesting choices', I tried to keep it to myself. Now, they want to tell the world just how stupid and irresponsible they are with someone else's car that is now trashed, and massively devalued.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A parent in China who sent their kid to school in Canada is who gave a kid a 700hp car. Zero oversight.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    A buddy of mine who lives in Calgary says it is overwhelmed with Chinese kids that have an unlimited credit card, are massively irresponsible and just violate Canadian laws with impunity.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    2,000 miles in three months. I drive it daily when I'm in town. Pretty amazing car. Only couple of knocks I have at this point are the satellite radio signal is very weak, and the park sensors alert for no reason. Other than that it has performed flawlessly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay likes this.
  14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Im up to 5,000 and other than the annoying key not found its been solid and OTT amazing car

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Why would anyone POST THIS????

"Let me show you what morons we were! Cool, eh?"

16. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I thought I'd come back to this thread. I ended up buying a 2018 488 Spider to drive in NY over the summers. I do love the Ferrari but honestly I still think my 720 is a better driving experience and it would obv. obliterate the 488 when it comes to speed. I've been relatively happy with the McLaren service too - although I'm annoyed I had to pay for a windshield they wouldn't warranty after it grew a crack from the edge for some reason. They say it was struck, I know it wasn't and had Safelite confirm. The only other annoyance is the park distance they haven't been able to solve random sensitivity when it's stopped. Still... I love both cars and I'm glad to have each experience.