F430 Removing F1 Actuator to tighten bleed screws? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 Removing F1 Actuator to tighten bleed screws?

Discussion in '360/430' started by nessus-gte, May 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    U are welcome ..glad to help

Let's know how it goes ..maybe some screen shots or videos

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I do question how many shops for thru removing all that to do a bleed ..I wonder what they consider a bleed ??

Makes you wonder

3. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Following this thread with great interest for a couple of reasons. I purchased a Launch X431 Pro 3 last year. It has been pretty good on some of the Ferrari stuff but I am always wanting to learn how to do more with it. And now I am into a F430 F1 system (the only one I have ever worked on) which I had rebuilt due to external leakage from the actuator. The downloads here are very much appreciated as they have answered many questions I had. But I have a few other things that I am not clear about. I'm in the process of reinstalling the F1 system so I hope that we can help each other.

4. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The actuator is secured by eight 8mm nuts and two 13mm bolts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    After removing the nuts and bolts the actuator will be loose. Mine had sealant on some surfaces though, so I had to lightly pry the actuator off.

After, removing it... I believe I found the culprit. One of the bleed screws was VERY loose. I was really hoping this is what I found find.

I was screwing around with the Launch to watch it engage gear shifts.

I believe the loud hissing noise after the pump primes is because I have the screws quite loose.

Next, I ran the Actuator bleed cycle with all the bleed screws loosen. Then tightened them down hard, per the instructions posted by flash32.

Here is a look inside the gearbox, before I bolted the actuator back on.

Now I need to go test it on the road...:D

In the meantime, here is a shout out to PitDoggie (Paul Williams) who many months ago suggested I down this road to fix my F1 system. :cool:

PitDoggie likes this.
  5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Great work,,im hoping it fixed your issue

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So the bleed screws can only be accessed by actuator removal?

With actuator off you run the launch bleed cycle with bleeders cracked. Then tighten screws down and replace actuator?

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes must be removed on f430 ..

The instructions for bleeding are posted above by me

8. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Thanks...I need to learn to read!

Great thread guys. I hope to see more Ferrari fixes with users of the "Launch."

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    We all do

Once removed it is pretty simple

10. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Hi Charles,

Based on your findings sounds like you had internal leakage through the actuator....that will definitely request the pump to activate more frequently....
    My question is should that pressure drop be observed through the X431...during the initial diagnosis....then reconfirmed after the repair.
    Since I see a pressure sensor there must be a way to monitor this...
    I applaud your efforts....outstanding and thank you for sharing...
    K//

11. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Does the WSM call for a relearn after the actuator is refitted or is it not required?

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    WRT to the screws: loosen them by two complete turns. If they are already loose, nip them up and start from there.

13. evilruss

evilruss Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Rockford
    Also following this thread as I'm planning to do a full flush and bleed of the F1 on my F430 soon. One piece of information I don't think I've ever seen while searching, was how the bleeder screws do their work. I'm assuming from what I've read, loosening them isn't actually supposed to allow fluid to bleed out of the actuator externally, meaning there is some sort of passageways that bypass the main inner workings of the actuator? This would then allow any air trapped behind the bleed screws to be eliminated, by allowing it to go into the return line back to the reservoir? Just trying to learn more.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Correct ..not bleed screws
    .more of bypass screws to allow fuild from high pressure side to low pressure side back to Reservoir

evilruss likes this.
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you see my previous posts ...I attached the wsm and it does state to so relearn process

16. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Hey Guys,

Heads up the Ebay vendor KingBolen has raised the purchase price on this unit...just yesterday it was $806.00 today its $956.00..
    I believe they are realizing its value to the Ferrari vehicle's...jump onboard before we loose our early intervention.
    Negotiated with them and made the purchase at $790.00
    Good Luck..
    K//

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Not a problem. His short-term greed will put him out of business as soon as the next guy rips off the software if what Dave says is right. Face it if Ferrari did not price themselves out of the market on the SD's we would all buy SD's just as part of complete Ferrari ownership just like people own a Craftsmen toolbox.

And BrianS says the tool fails for the 360 which is a model much more likely to be a DIY Ferrari due to its lower cost. So the jury is still out on the Launch value. But so far it is looking very promising. Thanks, to the early adopters of the Launch for posting!

18. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I wonder why Ferrari didn't design it with the bleed screws external of the actuator instead of internal. Looks doable to me, but would be interesting to know why that is the case. Certainly would make bleeding the F1 a lot more easier.

19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I believe it is the same part for another model that you were able to get to screws but since theyvretrofotted it the screws are hidden on the 430

20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
  21. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That's too bad. The bottom line is the owner has to pay for all the labors involved to bleed it. It does makes you wonder whether a mechanic actually goes through the trouble of doing it the right way if there wasn't anything wrong with the F1 system to begin with and the owner gets charged for the service just because the mechanic "recommends" it.

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Because it's not designed by Ferrari.

23. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    This is a really good question, Kaspar. Just after receiving the Launch, I used it to report various F1 system parameters during my baseline diagnostic. There are dozens of parameters to choose from. Because I am a F1 beginner, most of them were unintelligible to me. System pressure was the one value that I was really looking for, but I never found it.

I ended up watching F1 pump state and activation count. This showed me when the F1 pump was currently active and the total number of times the pump has ever run. I recorded the timing of those events as my baseline data. System pressure has to be an available parameter that I just missed. I will screen capture and post all of the F1 parameters, so you guys can help me find it.

24. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I’ve read system pressure with it....
    I’ve a CFC231 based CS TCU accessed via the 430 gearbox menu.

I’m 2000 miles from my car so cannot check or send a print screen!

nessus-gte likes this.
  25. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yeah, all Ferrari mechanic shops/techs are crooks...........:D