AM V12 questions | FerrariChat

AM V12 questions

Discussion in 'British' started by jehu999, Apr 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm seriously considering an used 6sp AM V12, 2011 or 2012.I would like to hear from owners of this model as to what expect from a maintenance costs and issues/problems with this model. If you sold your car, why?

I test drove one and can't get it out of my mind. I would have to sell my beloved 04 GT3 and 11 Boxster spyder to do a deal.

Thanks

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I test drove the v12s with sportshift iii and compared it to a 2009 v8 with sportshift. I did not feel a huge difference in the performance gap on the street / highway. Other than the engine size and carbon fiber brakes and hood vents, The rest of the car is basically - exactly the same. .5 dif on 0-60 but better handling for V8...

The v12 is several hundred pounds heavier and even with the more powerful engine, does not get up and run away with the “must have trophy.”

V12 is twice the cost of pretty much equal spec’d v8 for a 2009+
    V12 is thought to be needy in maint with more “issues”. V8 engine is bulletproof.

Not exactly answering your question directly but good to at least consider.

So I don’t want to talk you out of it... but I went down the same route and liked the v12 but not at twice the cost. You could keep one of your P-cars and get 95% of the v12 with the V8.

I do think the v12 stick will likely hold its value better in the long run. But I didn’t buy this car as an investment. I’m going to drive it quite a bit.

I would say you have to drive them and not just in a straight line to see the characteristics.

Try motor cars of Georgia in Atlanta. They are a good Aston group with a good regular selection. Aston in Naples FL really does not have many cars to see... not sure of other dealers in Florida near you.

Robb

3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The v8 bullet proof....
    The v12 rare
    The v8 don't worry about for 20 years....
    The v12 sounds like no other but heat under that hood for more daily driving will drive up costs.
    The balance goes to the v8 but the ego loves the v12.
    BOTH GREAT...
    GTJOEY1314

Robb likes this.
  4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Oh, just get the V12...

Robb likes this.
  5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Have a dealership with very good experiences.

Has or have had many cars I've always been treated well. Lical.

Currently offering a nice darkgrey/black tan Rapide S, 2014 18k miles < $90k before tax license etc. Great condition with some very minor cosmetics all interior. V12.

Will join a AM forum somewhere but wondering on anyone's take.

BTW we live the four seaters even in Ferraris: much more fun for our lifestyle