What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 62 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    TIL my 308 has a battery cut off installed. Hidden down between the pedals. Never noticed it before, thanks PO! :)

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First post, congrats! Got pics of your car?

3. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Rosey and Albert-LP like this.
  4. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Yelling at it, it was standing in my way...

5. B777Fman

B777Fman Rookie

May 9, 2018
    Hawaii
    Dino246gt and Jbrauer like this.
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice Azuro! Thanks for posting!

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Had a head-on collision with a large poorly-marked speed bump today. Can't see any damage, mercifully.

Was out on a grocery run. Safeway is 2 miles away; somehow incurred 32 miles on odometer. Funny how that happens.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My right cooling fan has been making some "old dying fan" noises, and the left one doesn't keep temps down as much as I'd like.

So have replaced those 40-year-old designs with a couple of modern high performance Spal 10" units. Can't wait to get the car back together tomorrow and try them out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dino246gt and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks good. What model number?

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Saabguy likes this.
  11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  12. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Spent all day yesterday working on my GT4 with my son. We took the engine out a couple of years ago and replaced the sodium exhaust valves and did a complete heads rebuild, valve job, etc. Got the engine back in last year, but health problems have been slowing down completing the job. We got the dipstick and tube installed, alternator installed and wired, along with the starter. Had to replace some wires and connectors. Then we got all the cooling system hoses replaced from the radiator back to the engine.with Gates Green Stripe and all new SS clamps. I had done that job 30 years ago with the car up on jack stands. Having a lift makes it much easier. The Gates hoses I used back then looked like new, but we replaced them anyway.

I've got some cooling system connections to make in the engine bay, then it will be ready for vacuum testing. Cross your fingers.

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nice alloy radiator! Let us know how they work.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Dino246gt, Kimbosan, Aus_yz and 3 others like this.
  15. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Learned a couple of things about my Throttle Position Switch. Firstly that by using the throttle position screw to increase the idle it caused the microswitch in the TPS to disengage in idle position. Secondly when the TPS was in wide open position the second contact switch inside the TPS was no longer operable. I bought a new one on Amazon for $64 delivered vs $200+ from one of the other parts sources.

I discovered the problem with the switch when I disconnected it to replace the AMP connector with a new one. I noticed that the mounting tabs on the TPS were elongated which to my shrinking brain indicated the position was adjustable. The adjustability has to do with making sure the leaf switch inside the TPS is in a closed circuit state when the car is at idle. This is how I understand this switch works:

The TPS has 3 conditions it tells the ECU about:
    1. Idle - when the idle switch closes it lets the ECU know it's at idle and the ECU in turn sets the Freq Valve to a given freq for idle.
    2. PT - neither switch is closed (Not at idle and not at WOT) again it has special freq valve control for PT
    3. WOT - the WOT switch is closed but idle switch is open, here it sets the freq valve so it lowers control pressure. It opens the frq valve a bit more to lower CP, this instantly causes a richer mixture.
    I've read many posts about guys having problems when there car comes to a stop at an intersection, etc. Maybe a failed or unengaged, or misaligned TPS is the problem for some of them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy likes this.
  16. Crosshill_Garage

Mar 1, 2018
    Dundee
    Full Name:
    Ben Lord
    Nice weather in Scotland just now, so driving it. Slowly building up confidence, done 170 miles now since I got her going. Had been sat in a lockup for 14 yrs, left there by the previous owner. Really starting to have fun, then the starter motor failed yesterday!!

Archer911 likes this.
  17. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    14 years! Hoping the starter is all that gives you grief.

Crosshill_Garage likes this.
  18. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks!

So what are the contacts in the TPS? That is, which one is for the idle switch and which for the WOT? I'm guessing that one is ground .

19. Kimbosan

Kimbosan Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim sanders
    Driven to work all week ☀️

20. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Check this out. Great video explanation.

21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Did my annual fluid changes today: engine oil, transaxle oil, coolant, brake fluid.

Been losing an abnormal amount of coolant out the overflow tube lately. kcabpilot's posts have inflamed my paranoia that it is a blown head gasket. It is probably just a bad coolant tank cap. Just ordered a Stant 10231. It will be here on Sunday.

Putting 100 miles on the car tomorrow, picking up Black Horse and driving to Berkeley for an FCA Technical Session at Patrick Ottis. Will see kcabpilot there too. I love events like this.

thorn likes this.
  22. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jealous here! Good travels...

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You've read my thread and talked to me Brian, it's a long road to determining a head gasket failure and along the way there are a hundred other things that can be the cause of the same symptoms. Since you just renewed your coolant I think you just need to bleed a bit more. If you don't see a constant stream of air bubbles coming into the tank like I did you're good, just keep bleeding the trapped air out of the radiator after each drive for awhile and it should resolve itself. My own personal head gasket issue is just karma because deep down inside I was looking for an excuse to tear my engine apart anyway just to see how it works :)

24. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My new Stant 10231 coolant tank cap arrived from Amazon yesterday ($4.17). I overfilled the tank, put on the new cap and took the car for a 30 minute drive at low speed. I stopped and let the car idle to let the engine heat to the point where the radiator fans came on. This morning, now that the engine is cool again, the coolant level is back to where it always used to be (in my car's case, 5 cm above the bottom of the expansion tank). Harmony in my universe has been restored.

I am very fortunate in that my car bleeds easily. I have drained my coolant 5 times now. For my car, I just need to open the bleed ports on the radiator and thermostat and fill until coolant starts spilling from the bleed ports. Through the year, I bleed the little bit of air out of the radiator occasionally, but it is really unnecessary.

25. Kimbosan

Kimbosan Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim sanders
    thorn, Brian A and Milkshaker0007 like this.