308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild | Page 9 | FerrariChat

308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by alhbln, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My '80 GTSi reads 20 MPH optimistic. I would be satisfied to get it within the realm of reality. lol

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Tim,

very sorry to hear about your accident, hope you get well soon! I'll promise to restart the Speedo 2/3 project and finish this up in due time, i 'only' need to find some time to finish the software then we are all set for the first tests.

All the best,
    Adrian

Bo Loof likes this.
  3. Bo Loof

Bo Loof Rookie

Dec 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Bo Loof
    Hi Adrian
    I own a 79 308 Gtb in very good shape but the Speedo m stopt running totally but the odo and trip is still working.
    I followed the tread above but do you that seams like a expert on this have any idea on what component that can be the reason likely on the bord behind the meter ?
    All best
    Mr Bo in Stockholm

4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Your '79 Speedo is a type 1 where the speedo coil is directly driven by the SAY115 IC. It sounds like a partial defect of the IC unfortunately. Since the ODO/trip is fine, the sensor input from the gearbox and the other half of the SAY IC seems to be fine.

Bo Loof likes this.
  5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think I still have a couple of those chips NOS around somewhere.

6. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Hi Adrian,
    Recovery from my near-death bicycling accident is progressing very slowly, but well. I've stopped wearing the back brace mostly, and I am in physical therapy to rehab my back. I'm ready to be your tester, as soon as you're ready for anything to be tested! :)
    Thanks for keeping this project alive,
    Tim

7. Bo Loof

Bo Loof Rookie

Dec 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Bo Loof

8. Bo Loof

Bo Loof Rookie

Dec 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Bo Loof
    Thanks for your answer
    As this is a us car I just bought it has both miles and Km on Speedo and likly miles on Odo can you suggest what I shall do ?
    To buy a complete new instrument seams no fun and start a new odo on 0???
    I followed your nice work with rebuilding new board to replace old one .... have you anything I can buy from you to fix my SPEDO non working issue.
    I also facing a new registration check on my car to get it street legal and I guess they will like to see a working Speedo in my car!

9. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Bo, my car had the reverse of your car - non working odo. but working speedo. I built a new board using a UAF2115 chip. It is also obsolete but still available from a few places. If you are in need, I can make you a new board for your speedometer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Bo Loof

Bo Loof Rookie

Dec 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Bo Loof
    Hi
    That would be fantastic.
    How complicated is it for you ?
    You would build one that is miles version.
    You live in USA ?
    What do you want for the new board ?
    What year of 308 do you have?

11. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Bo,
    My car is a '79, US version so it is in MPH. However, I believe it is inconsequential as to MPH or KPH. The chip just converts the pulses from the sensor into a current for the speedometer. It is linear, so once it is adjusted (via a potentiometer) to give the desired speed reading at the correct input pulse rate (~107Hz = 60MPH), the rest of the scale "fits". (Depending on the linearity of the meter movement.)

It's not that difficult to assemble one. I have some extra parts from building mine. It's about $20 worth of parts, so I would get you one for that price, plus what ever it costs to ship to Stockholm (I live in Chicago). The good thing is, I am going to be in Europe next weekend. If I can get one built by then, I can bring it with me (hopefully customs doesn't object) and save on EU shipping.

12. paul ruby

paul ruby Rookie

Feb 17, 2016
    Boalsburg
    Full Name:
    paul ruby
    Hi mxstav: I've got the speedometer from my 1975 308GT4 out and it's not operating. I put a signal into the signal pin
    but it's not doing anything. Do you have a PCB I can buy to replace the original one? It's been failing slowly over the years and finally it's
    dead. I've had this car for 30 years. I guess I could change the capacitors, but from all the previous posts it's probably that IC SAY115Y that aren't available. Paul Ruby Boalsburg Pa
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    If you don‘t get any output at all it is the SAY115 which failed. Send you an email reply.

14. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Yes, I have enough parts to build another one. I think it should be the same as a '75 model.

Mark

15. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I would also be interested in one.

16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, count me in. There is a demand here, and I'd be happy to help.

17. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Good news, development of the type 2/3 Speedo replacement is moving towards the finish line after a very long break. The plan is to have the first 2-3 boards for testing available in the next weeks, i'll then post an update for anyone interested in testing the first boards.

The new board is designed to be compatible both with Type 2 and Type 3 speedos, which includes injected 308 GTB/GTS, 328 GTB/GTS, 288 GTO, Testarossa as well as 348 speedos. Similar to my Type 1 replacement this board features a calibration mode, so no extra equipment is required except a soldering iron. The board can also adapt mp/h to km/h speedos by simply turning one of the on board configuration switches from standard to conversion mode.

ME308, reidem and G. Pepper like this.
  18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I’m ready to beta test for you.

19. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wouldn't mind contributing financially to this project, so when you are ready for paying customers, let me know. I have an '80 GTSi and the speedometer is 20 MPH optimistic.

20. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Sure, will do! If your '80 GTSi is an european version then it would have a type 2 speedo, the '80 US GTSi still uses the type 1 speedo.

A type 2 with an ODO which is counting correctly but a speed display which is off, can usually be fixed by recalibrating the needle position.
    No need to replace the hardware, nothing is broken.

21. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Hi Adrian,
    I'm ready, willing, and DYING to buy one of these to replace my second failed speedo in my 1988.5 328 GTS. In fact, I'll pay a premium to get the earliest available sample, to be your Beta tester.
    Please let me know when/how I can make the purchase.
    ...and THANK YOU for this project! You will make many, many owners happy with this long ago NLA replacement.

22. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Tim, hope you are well and getting along nicely with the physical theraphy! No worries, you'll get one of the first samples, you are already on the list ;-)

23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Mine is a US spec car, but I still wouldn't mind the upgrade! Plus, it's such a great contribution to the 308 community, I want to support it. :)

24. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Adrian, Thanks for your concern; I'm recovering well, at about 85% now, after 7 months since my crash. The 6 broken ribs and collapsed lung are long ago healed, but the 4 broken bones in my back still cause constant pain, and it takes minutes to bend far enough to put on socks or tie my shoes. All in all, I'm lucky to be alive, much less walking & talking (somewhat coherently), so I'm thankful for my blessings.

BTW, since I now have two failed speedos, I'll eventually want to buy two of your upgrade kits. However, I understand the demand for these is widespread, so I'll be delighted with one first, and then we can follow with the second one later, after others' urgent needs are met. Just want to let you know for planning purposes that I'll commit to buy two kits, overall.

Please let me know how I can contribute to your R&D costs, too. You're providing a helluva valuable service to us, and I'm happy to help support your costs for doing it!

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Adrian,
    I'm not sure if I am on the list yet, but I am a definite buyer when you are ready! I have an 83 308 QV Euro, but it was converted to a mph speedo. I need to convert it back to a km/h speedo and odometer, I have a gauge face!

alhbln likes this.