MAGNUM'S BACK IN A 308! | FerrariChat

MAGNUM'S BACK IN A 308!

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat326, May 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    ...at least in the publicity stills released today.

Something about the shot just screams that the show is going to suck, on top of the fact that they're scripting it as a complete reboot of the Selleck storyline, as opposed to a continuation (Higgins is female this time around).

BUUUT, I do believe - if this show gains any traction - this could be one of those events that meaningfully boosts 308 prices with the surge in pop culture awareness. If the shot today holds true, and they don't switch from a 308 to a Tesla between the pilot and Episode 1, I think it's great. I truly thought the producers would sell out to whichever manufacturer would pay the most for product placement.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vaccarella likes this.
  2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    As a nerd aside, black B pillar with a black Momo steering wheel = 83 QV, right?

3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Only a matter of time till we find out the chassis number of that mint looking 308 !!

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That isn't Magnum, and she isn't Higgins.

Hopefully this show will be cancelled by midseason.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The Magnum remake thing sounds like a bad idea to me but maybe the young folks that think anything old/retro" (like the 3x8) is cool might like it. They'll probably start listening to Edison cylinders soon and raving about the sound quality. ;)

But IMO, Magnum, like Casablanca, should remain UN-remade.

Formula Uno, GLS12 and Saabguy like this.
  7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    GAAK!

Yes, the QV seats with black A & B pillars suggests an '83 QV, but the speaker grilles and back shelf are not stock, so it could be any year repainted and redone.

8. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena

I agree with this.

Formula Uno likes this.
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yuh huh. This cheesy ass generation needs to come up with their own stuff instead of constantly rehashing old stuff. Admittedly I don’t watch tv anymore but a Ferrari on screen is nice especially a 308/328

10. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Nothing is respected anymore!

They should’ve called me first.

Its not too late to rewrite. Didn’t they learn after Night Rider.

Rosey likes this.
  11. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Also the headrests are missing the Cavallino Rampante

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, on that - so are mine. Whomever recovered my seats at some point didn't stitch it in. At one point I wondered if it was perhaps a factory option that had never been there in the first place...

13. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #14 wildcat326, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    I don't like that they're remaking it in a PC-bastardized way with hack writers and no original storyline. But they're remaking it anyway, whether or not this forum approves. So that may not be "Magnum," and that may not be "Higgins," but that IS a bona fide 308, and if there's going to be any good to come out of this, let's hope a few million viewers see it in prime time and think, "Gee, I want one."

I mean, I don't feel GOOD about the new show, but I would have felt much worse this evening if they'd scripted him into a Prius.

Formula Uno likes this.
  14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I will go on record as saying no many times to a reboot, but after seeing the Photo of the 308 in the new series, I must say I’m looking forward to checking it out. Never in a million years would I have thought that they would use the 308. Very cool!

Adam72 and Formula Uno like this.
  15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Just like in my 328 I believe the seats are embossed not machine stitched.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I wouldn't be suprised if that picture with the 308 is only "un clin d'œil" (= a wink of an eye) as we say in French to signify a nice, elegant, quick reference to another thing, but that the car will not be kept for the serie....
    (And they would need at least two or three identical 308s, as we know that our ladies can, sometimes (very, very rarely) be "quite temperamental", so spares would be needed).

But, anyway: even if I do not like the idea of a reboot, it is a nice and elegant gesture.

Rgds

Formula Uno likes this.
  17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Those of my cars are embossed indeed. here are the headrest of the driver's seat in my GTB, #81085.
    Those is my GTS, #80515, are slightly less marked.

Rgds

Attached Files:

Rosey likes this.
  18. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Interesting to see the photo with a 308. A nice touch if the producers will keep the car. Kind of hey that is an 80s car, looks good and they used this type of car in the original TV show...let me check out the original show too.
    But seeing what is on TV I suspect a new 2018 model will be used. For one the network can get more money as advertising a new product and spare parts are easier to get if not free.
    Definitely a nice touch. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Correct, could be a nod to the past without actually using a 308 in the series... I guess time will tell.

20. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Why not? Isn't the 328 just a reboot of the 308? ;)

I don't care for the original show, so I suspect that at least for me, the reboot will probably be better. I agree the 308 will have a supporting role at best. As you rightly point out, the publicity shot must have the 308 for reference (along with the palm tree in the background). Without these, there is no visual connection left to the original show & media wouldn't run the story. Dropping moustache & Hawaiian shirt whilst keeping location & car were the right decisions.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Hello Paul,

No, the 328 cannot be considered as a reboot of the 308; even if most 308 owners deride it, the 328 is still a 308, with different bumpers, a different interior and a slightly bigger capacity engine, and that's it.
    Most parts fit both cars, the body panels are exchangeable, etc...so a reboot the 328 is certainly not.
    You know, of course, that the 328 was never supposed to be. That the 308 should have been replaced by a new and completly different car, but that the factory didn't have enough money and men to work on the BB successor (that became the Testarossa), and on the 308 successor at the same time. So the work on the intended successor to the 308 was dropped at the beginning of 1984, but, as the QV was getting a bit long in the tooth performance-wise against its german opposition, something has to be done; so, the factory thought that a modest jump in capacity would allow the car to remain at the forefront performance-wise for about four years, when a fully different successor could then be developped. The 328 was actually tested already in 1984, even if it appeared on the market only in september of 1985, by the famous cabriolet prototype, which chassis number is 49543, so well into the 308 range.
    The jump in assembly quality and reliability that came eventually with the long production time gave the 328 the nickname "our little jewel" at the factory.

Similarly, later on, the factory chose to "update" the Testarossa twice (512TR, then 512M) while it was developping the 348/355, even if they knew that a production run of 12 years for the Testarossa was too long...

To me, the 458 is a reboot of the 308, that's why I think that a 458 spider would have been nice.

Rgds

22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    If you kept the character names, setting and theme but gave it a modern twist, I think a red on tan 488 Spyder would fit the bill- it even has the 308 style side scoops !!

23. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Higgy baby! What does the new TC look like?

If this 308 is in the show they'll blow it up just like they did the 365 in Miami Vice. Then they'll work a 488 in there just like Crockett's white TR so everybody gets paid. All jokes aside, doesn't that sound like more fun than Magnum driving one of Elon's golf carts around? (sorry Tesla crowd)

24. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Why did I know that'd trigger you ? :D Deride is maybe too strong a word (more like railler in French than deride itself?) It's only the 328's interior I'm not particularly fond of. At least your microswitches make 328 radios more congruous in the interior design language :)