Mondial t gear box removal. | FerrariChat

Mondial t gear box removal.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, May 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Well I have a whining noise from the gearbox on my new to me mondial t. I drained oil and there was no metal except for some peach fuzz on the drain plug but the oil did only have 150 miles on it so some peach fuzz at that mileage seems a bit strange. I sent an oil sample to blackstone labs but the friggin post office has lost my sample. Basically from all of my reading it’s most likely loose ring nuts or bad oil pump bearings. Spoke to shop here in Dallas and they were familiar with this box and its issues. Said for about 1800 dollars they can tighten ring nut and it usually fixes the problems they see with these.
    I think I’m going to remove the box myself and check it out. And then just take the box to a professional and have them replace bearings or tighten the nuts. Hopefully that’s all it is.
    Any advice on getting the gear box out?

This is not starting out great.

Thanks
    Jerry

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Mostly the same as the 348. Search that forum, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.

Lots of folks who are intimate with the 348 box there as well.

3. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I’ve read about this, and understand that the best thing to do if/when you hear the whine is to stop driving the Car immediately. Pulling the box yourself is probably the best thing you can do to minimize any potential damage.
    That said, how many miles are on your car?
    I’m wondering if this is an early model year issue or just a T/348 issue in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I had a Mondial T gearbox rebuilt 2 years ago, typical issue with these boxes after approx 75.000km. All bearings need to be replaced, including the transmission shaft flange. It's a 5000 euro job on average, especially because of the cost of parts. Many of these bearings are nearly impossible to find, but direct enquiry at SKF may be a better way to find them.

Pulling the gearbox out of the car is not that easy, as it is totally surrounded by the subframe, the easiest way is to drop the engine/gearbox/subframe out of the car and start removing the outlet manifolds and remove everything surrounding the gearbox. Only then you are able to remove all bolts that hold engine and box together. See some pics here to give you an idea.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I am in the same boat as you since I have a whinning noise on my T and I am currently digging into the transmission.
    I would be curious if you could describe your noise? Is it engine speed or vehicle speed/gear dependant? Do you have a record of the sound?

Since I have done it myself I disagree with you and I will say that it is quite easy to do.
    You have to follow these steps: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-transmission-removal.124766/

I found out that you only have to remove the exhaust and rear bumper. I put a wooden pallet right under the transmission, pull it and it just sit on the pallet and I was able to remove it from under the car without lifting the car at all.

gsfent likes this.
  6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Whow! You are right. In fact, I didn't just remove the gearbox, I also had to remove the engine so everything had to come out, so that's why I took everything out.

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks, glad I don’t have to take the entire engine out!! Going to start looking for a lift to buy today.

8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Stefan, what year was your car?

I am trying to determine if this is an early model production issue or all gear boxes.

The '89 t's also have the roller bearing issue that was remidied with later models.

9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  10. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    i LOVE TO SEE THE ENGINE OUT PICS

11. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Any updates?

12. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I was taking the car apart to get the trans out but then I talked to shop here in Dallas and he said I would probably be fine to drive the car there and he would drive it and also put it on a lift and listen with a stethoscope to try and get an idea of what’s going on. So I put it back together and will take it there Tuesday morn. Hopefully just a bearing and not an actual gear or shaft issue. Fingers crossed.

alexion likes this.
  13. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    That was what I was told that the noise was nothing major and that I could drive it no problem. I left the shop and within 15 minutes it got loader and then I lost a gear. In the end it was a faulty (I cant remember the part name but between the gears, its been a while) but ended up breaking a gear. I also found a replacement transmittion and went that route vs having to fully rebuild the original. It was not cheap around 16k in total but cheaper trying to find the parts and massive shop bill for time to go through it. I figured since the engine was out might as well do the full service as well. I had a love hate relationship with that car but quickly forgot about it when I moved into a 360 then a 430.