456 Motor Mounts | FerrariChat

456 Motor Mounts

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scowman, May 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I installed the 575 OEM mounts including the new bolt and lower washer with the flange on it.

Please see pics below. The first pic is at rest. The second pic is with the motor jacked up.

At rest the lower washer has about a 3/16th inch gap between the rubber and washer. When the motor is jacked up it goes to almost nothing.

Is that the way it is supposed to be?

Note the 575 washer has a flange the hits the lower part of the mount which leads to the gap.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Not sure if this helps...or if I am addressing your actual question
    Should apply to the 456..
    On my 550, the gap between my lower oil sender unit and front roll bar is 12mm approx. as at march 2018 (my mounts are approx 3 years old)

Measure your car at that point, this is the issue with these older 550 mounts, they sag and the sender unit hits the roll bar and breaks causing engine failure.
    The tabs on the end of the 575 mounts, that bend around the rubber will prevent this from happening, as it will limit the sagging, therefore, prevent the unit from smacking into the roll bar, this is my interpretation of the problem.

What does yours measure with the new mounts on when sitting on the ground?

3. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    My roll bar is offset from the sender. It’s not directly in contact. The motor is definitely sitting higher than before.

4. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    If it’s supposed to fit snug I could kill the flange down a bit. Just not sure what is “normal”.

5. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Cut and past from the engine install section of the 575 WSM. My reading is you rest the full weight of the engine on the mounts, then torque the central nut and bolt to 98Nm, should be no gap in that case. Did you torque with the engine supported so mounts not compressed?

Attached Files:

6. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks! Always. Helps to read manual:rolleyes:. It’s possible I did it supported but do not recall for sure. Will redo and remeasure

7. sully456

sully456 Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Steve O'Sullivan
    Hi Ryan, Does the 575 manual have the full procedure for engine mount replacement, if so can you post the rest as a PDF. Cheers

8. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I can check again, but I think it only had what I posted which was within the engine removal and install section, not a dedicated engine mount section. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Right side is easy access. Undue bolts. Jack motor. Remove/replace mounts. Replace bolts and torque.

Left side needs to drop steering rack and pull forward including removing steering column linkage. Then remove bolts and mount. The trick I found was to drop the new 575 bolt and 575 washer through the mount hole. It will rest on top of the rack until you are ready to bolt the mount to the motor. I could not get the bolt through the washer from underneath. It’s easy from the top. That will save you some time.

I found tightening from the front with the radiator out was easy. I also had the suspension out so access was really easy. The left side is all about access.