Shipping The Lusso to Europe | FerrariChat

Shipping The Lusso to Europe

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by BaronM69, May 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    I am considering shipping the Lusso to EUR for a 1 week trip through Italy and France mid September, where I will be able to visit the factory, and then have it shipped back to the US.
    Considering air freighting the car to limit the loss of use I'd suffer if shipping car by boat.

I know renting a car locally would likely cost less and be no hassle, but I value the experience of not driving a rental when visiting the factory.

Would anyone here have experience doing so and good companies to refer me to?

Lots of questions for what seems quite simple: shipping a car.

For example:
    - I have heard of "car passport" which are expensive but not sure how it applies?
    - How about different local regulations such as "no front tags in US while obligatory in Europe"? Or bit of window tinted which is legally fine in US but not permitted on front doors in France any longer?
    Could this be an issue at customs?
    - How about insurance, while driving the car there?
    - How about insurance covering the shipping? That alone seems like costing as much as the shipping itself. Necessary when shipping with a plane?
    - How about the downtime getting the car through customs?
    - Was considering Geneva but this is Swiss and not EU, so might be over complicated?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    One of the many threads in the past week by a guy considering sending his 348 to Europe has mention of various sea options

Yes you'll need driving insurance

Yes European not US laws apply

Yes you may want to consider renting locally eg https://europeluxurycars.com/ferrari-rental/rent-ferrari-gtc4lusso

Apparently Hertz France have one too ! https://www.hertz.co.uk/p/collections/dream/brand/ferrari/gtc-4-lusso

Beyond that Google is your friend although there may have been one firm in Italy mentioned about three months ago here

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #3 amenasce, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    You will need front tag in France for sure. They will not let you in without it.
    Window tints...they might stop you, they might not. It depends if the cop wants the revenue or not.
    You will need insurance there. Ask your insurance if they suggest any European provider that they work with. Or try AON.

I am not sure about your question re insurance when shipping? You most likely need the car to be insured, either for your own comfort (what if the plane crashes..or container shifts etc..) or for your protection (If your car causes an incident while on board due to something faulty on it?)

I assume if you go through a freight forwarder, they would take care of getting it through customs for you.

Shipping by plane for a week would be expensive no? Last time i checked it was something like $10-12k? I understand wanting to drive your ferrari to Maranello though..it's special.

BaronM69 likes this.
  4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    They will require you to drain your fuel tank and some require you to drain your engine oil as well. I've looked into it - it is a MAJOR hassle, trust me. You'll spend your entire trip navigating the paperwork and red tape. Do yourself a favor - RENT.

obbob likes this.
  5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Wow, there's a LaF for rental through the first link. Is that for real?!

Can someone please explain how the pricing works for the Hertz rental? It sounds as if it is cheaper to rent for 7 days than to rent for 1-2 days. Who would rent for a shorter period when you pay the same for a longer period? If the price is the rental fee on those days, what's the reason for the jump on day 7?

6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 noone1, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    I assume those are daily rates, not the total price ;)

So yeah, it's cheaper per day if you rent more days, just like all rentals of just about everything. Remember, rental prices for cars these days are probably calculated using machine learning on very large data sets. If the model says 7 days costs more than 6 days or 8 days, then that's how it will be. The algorithms just spit out pricing to maximize customers and revenue based on all the reservation data the have for rentals of this car or cars like it.

For 7 days it's definitely probably better to rent one than ship one. That's way too short of a time period to deal with all that and shipping, not to mention if you're talking air freight. That probably costs what, $20K round-trip shipping? Isn't air delivery from the factory like a $10K option?

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    BTW, might seem far fetched, but there might be some owners on here in Europe who would gladly rent you their Ferrari for $15-20K. That's a very lucrative proposition if you ask me.

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Most questions have been answered. I've shipped my 458 Speciale to Italy and back now twice for the Mille Miglia.

Here is what you need.

- $20k round trip
    - Drain tank for air, fine with ocean
    - Carnet is needed for Italy (passport)
    - Italian liability insurance card
    - Comprehensive and collision. Hagerty Private client offers this
    - front plate

9. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR