MAGNUM'S BACK IN A 308! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

MAGNUM'S BACK IN A 308!

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat326, May 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That was AWFUL. Ridiculously AWFUL.

4re308, Cirorsi and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  2. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I would rather watch a bum, on a dung pile, pick at a scab with a gangrene finger nail. Just sayin'

David Lind likes this.
  3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah. Even though I've only watched a couple of episodes (after I bought my 308 five years ago), I can understand the handwringing that is going on in this thread. It will all come down to character development. What I saw in the old show was a vulnerable, bumbling Magnum who tried hard to do Right, but struggled to get 'er done. It depended less on shoot 'em up action and more on plain character development.

I think I'll just read the reviews here. I don't watch much TV at the best of times.

Regarding the 308(s) used in this Trailer, it appears that a Federalized 1983 Euro QV and a 1983 US-spec QV make an appearance. There are aerial shots that show both engine covers. Its funny in that last crash scene when Magnum is sliding sideways and shooting, initially you can see a driver's side Euro mirror, then, as he starts to crawl out, it is a US mirror.

Canut, Thomas Magnum and wjw300tt like this.
  5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    See... I knew a Rosso red with tan 488 Spyder would be the modern car of choice to replace the 308 GTS.

6. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    myronx19 likes this.
  7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It starts with a T and ends in URD. This will get cancelled very quickly.

8. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yes, a fake. Bad body, bad windscreen, fake brake caliper and disc. Among all the other things.

Attached Files:

• rru.jpg
      rru.jpg
      File size:
      60.4 KB
      Views:
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I have, shall we say, "a sof spot" for the new Higgins, so don't cancel it too quickly. I'm even ready to fight my fear of dogs to check if she is actually Robin Masters...
    except that I'm from the original serie's vintage, so probably much too old for her anyway.

("If only youth would know, if only old age would still able to" Sacha Guitry - "si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait" in French)

Rgds

308 milano likes this.
  10. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I will watch the pilot and first episodes with an open mind. I was a huge fan of the original series.
    Nice that they used a 308 in the pilot show...too bad that they wrecked it; it would have been nice to use the 308 every so often on the show.
    Interesting that they used TC’s chopper similar to the original show.
    Interesting to see that the show will continue to use Ferraris.

...but wait, episode 6 Magnum meets the crew of Hawaii Five-0....no?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    This show will have as much impact on 308 values as the original did. I'm not a "prime time TV" watcher but I know for a fact that my kids (30 through 41) don't even know Hawaii 5-0 is a regular show today and they won't watch this new show either. The wheelchair set are about the only people who will watch this show if anybody will. I hope it fades away before mid season.

12. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Aren’t the days of the half hour episodic TV show numbered? I’ll try to watch the first episode but YouTube and the rest of the Internet have ruined TV shows for me. I think I’ve bought my last TV.

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Couple of observations..
    Magnum’s a little hard on equipment.
    New Higgins gets a surprising thumbs up.
    Demise of the 308 going over the cliff was just, well.. over the top stupid and if this was the type of action in the fast and furious films, I am so grateful to have not seen any of them!

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A couple of thoughts. First, this show will have no effect on 308 values. Second, I'm glad the 308 was destroyed. I'd rather have that than have it be the recurring butt of a joke, like breaking down at a critical moment or being outrun by a modern sh!tbox because it's old and slow by today's standards.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So are they going to destroy 2 Ferrari's every episode?

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Seems like they are just going to blow up and crash random cars as they see fit.

Aside form US, I'm not sure any of today's viewers would even remember or care what kind of car Magnum drove in 1980.

greg328 and ken qv like this.
  17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Dunno...That's what I would have said until last Friday, May 11th. Took my 328 GTB to have lunch at a small restaurant in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere in North-East France. As I was parking the beast, out of the blue came a kid, maybe fifteen years old, and he immediately said: "Ha! The Magnum car".
    I could have answered "No boy, this is a 328; and no boy, this is a GTB" but well...the show is still popular and well known.

Rgds

Kidasters likes this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Up until a few years ago they were running Magnum re-runs on Italian TV in the afternoon. I don't think anyone has seen a Magnum TV show in the states since the 80's

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    wow - 458 to 308 then ends up in an older cali? .... at least do a 812 or F12.

20. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Netflix will pick it up, but only if it is bad enough.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They destroyed the wrong car! :)

ken qv likes this.
  22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I wouldn't be able to answer you accurately with dates, frequencies, etc...as I stopped watching TV years ago, so I'm not up-to-date about re-runs, but I'm pretty sure they were still running it last year.
    I have it on DVD and had a full consecutive watch from #1 to #162 about three years ago, with two episode each day during 80 days (my cat was very happy)
    It was , in its original days, very popular in France. It started to be aired in 1981.
    Rgds

(Yes I do have a TV screen, with a recorder: I only record movies, to watch these at my convenience ; nothing else, no news, no series, no nothing; and no Formula One anymore because it is now on pay TV...I grew to really hate TV)

Adam72 likes this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have news for the OP

That may be a 308 but that is NOT Magnum. :)

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well at least the 308 didn't break down and went out in a blaze of glory but it is kind of disconcerting that he apparently couldn't outrun a Unimog on a mountain road - LoL.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    CBS is just taking out every show from the past and remaking them. No creativity.

Maybe they want to get today's grandma's who watched TV in the 80's back.