747 sort of back from dead | FerrariChat

747 sort of back from dead

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by boxerman, May 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Some of the original hype before the 747 was built was that a freighter version could fly fresh fruits and vegetables from all parts of the world and deliver them still fresh. Wasn't off base at all. I worked a lot of loading studies for outsized cargo on the 767 and this airplane but there were a lot more problems on the 767 that is also a great freighter.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I remember reading that Trippe and Allen thought all 747s woudl become freighters once the sst came online. Its a lesson in future predictions, theyre not what you predict. No one foresaw that the 747 would usher in the era of inexpensive mass tourist travel and the model of elite travel was dead. Wind forwards 40 years and were back to long haul travel comfort in lay flat seats. Seems like 600 mph does the trick and is a sweetspot between time and comfort. In the end thyew ere right all 747s become freighters, but not because theres something faster, just something far more efficient for people.

i wouldnt bet on autonomous cars int he next 5 years either or that even if they become ubquitous that epopel wont want their own luxury vehicle.

Bob I am curious why a 767 is sucha good freighter, why its chosen as an air tanker when there are "newer" designs about. Is it that there are different requirements and performance parameters thta are ideal for a freighter?

meanwhile we read that the KC 135 or 300 of them are going to be flying anotehr 20-30 years. Makess ense as were buying what 50 767 tankers.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Boeing was very smart to move the flight deck upstairs to allow the addition of a lift nose. I think that Airbus will ultimately regret not doing the same thing with the A380.

4. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Boxerman, one of the reasons why Boeing chose to submit the 767 as a candidate for an air tanker was that the 767 design was old. Boeing had already had years of selling it, they had already gotten good money out of the design. It was cheap for them to adapt the 767 design to military uses.

And I am not saying it is a bad aircraft. It's just that Boeing, as a business, chose a cheaper, more profitable alternative to offer the Air Force than, say, a new design like a 787. A military 787 air tanker, without a lot of sales of the civilian version, would have been a much more expensive (for Boeing) offering.

5. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    NürScud likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can't take a trip but it was a treat to see the downward curvature of the trailing edge in the extension of the -400 tip. That clearly shows the change in wing tip geometry to remove the -2 deg incidence in the old tip and down to zero in the -400 tip. I was assigned to prepare a drawing of it to convince people of the change.It stopped a lot of arguments in the non-engineering population,

7. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I love watch 747's fling into McCarran, they are beautiful birds for sure. Mainly I see Virgin Atlantic 747's

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

A 747 is way too big to fling... :)

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    May have been cheap for Boeing, but very expensive for the American taxpayer.;)

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very expensive for Boeing, not as much for the taxpayer. There were already 767 tankers flying when the program started, but not with booms that could refuel our entire fleet.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I know an electrical cable installer who said several years ago that they couldn't keep up with the changes that the Air Force kept making. They would rip out wiring that didn't fit the new equipment that was coming in and when the equipment got there, it didn't fit the wiring changes that had been re-installed. He said that there were all kinds of problems like this. I'm not sure that Boeing is totally responsible for the delays in this program.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Not that this creates huge demand for 747s, by any stretch, but a 747 is being prepared to provide a launch platform for small satellites into low earth orbit. Virgin Galactic recently spun off this division, now called Virgin Orbit. Really informative presentation was just posted here:

He quotes a $12 million price tag per launch, seems cheep to this layman.

This platform seems far more operationally scalable and reliable than the stratolaunch platform, of which there is only one example. Stratolaunch may have payload advantages, I haven't done a side by side comparison.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I agree, not totally Boeing's fault. They are getting stuck with the majority of the bill, though. We came really close to having Airbus tankers, so Boeing pretty much signed up to a money-losing program in the initial stages.

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    NürScud likes this.
  15. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Boeing screwed themselves when they hired Darlene Druyun, former deputy undersecretary of the air force, and was inflating prices to benefit Boeing and ended up with a felony conviction, and others at Boeing including the CFO and CEO, Boeing had to make things right somehow including their $615m fine... so I have little empathy for Boeing in the tanker debacle...

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Different times, different situation, different people. Are the current players to be blamed for what happened years ago and caused by someone else? So, Boeing will be punished forever regardless of what it is doing well at present? Boeing is guilty of having bad management and some bad players in the past but the company has made a lot of changes in upper levels since.

17. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I don't disagree there has been changes for the better, when it comes to govt contracts though the memory can be lasting for a long time...