Maserati Khamsin | Page 289 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Sorry, Yes fan belts used as a generic term!! When McGraths serviced my car, They could not change the belts because the tensioner was missing. I have no idea what this part should look like or where it mounts. I am keen to see any images of what I should be looking for, so I have a starting point to work from.

2. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello again Series1...

Got it... It also depends which belt(s) you are changing, the alternator belt or the 2 smaller hydraulic pump belts. Are you missing the
    alternator bracket as pictured above? Or, are you trying to change the hyd pump belts? The pump belts are slightly different procedure..

Mike

4. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi, Currently I don't need to change any belts.All is fine there but I am just planning ahead.

I have searched the internet for some pictures of what tensions the belts at the front of the motor and found nothing.

All I know is, according to McGraths, I am missing a part. I have no idea what it should look like or where it sits. So if anyone has any photographs of the front of their motor I could then start to get my head around what's missing. I assume this part will be pretty impossible to find, so I might have to make it from scratch.

Any info/photos gratefully received.

Cheers

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7205 Nembo1777, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    "I assume this part will be pretty impossible to find, so I might have to make it from scratch."

Yes Mark, to find that holy grail thou shall climb Mount Everest with no Sherpas alllll alone on a full moon night with thy bare hands at 24000 feet, wait for hours on a perillous ridge as the winds howls with the demons of a thousand Tibetan nights as your fingers turn blue and your frozen nose threatens to break off fall down the precipice... and just before dawn, at long last, the formidable Yeti shall appear and bring forth thy hallowed part...but...

...he will have the big credit card machine and you will need your gold amex card if you want him to leave you safe and sound with the item and receipt:)

Come on it is not that bad at all in terms of rarity and cost, there are enough astute tech guys here to lead you to water:)

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Series1.. Hopefully you have a parts manual !!! If not, use the schematic au-yt linked above and determine
    if you think something is missing. Once you notice something, let us all know, and we can see what is on our cars.
    Regarding belt tensioning, the alternator is tensioned at the alternator bracket. The hydraulic pump is tensioned
    at the pump, there is a bracket with a minor bit of adjustment. The only other thing I could see is the pulley
    by the bolt (item 17 in the above linked schematic)... Eventually, I think we will get to what you have been
    told is missing... We just need to get there! :)

I don't recall, but have you posted any details (pictures), etc.. about your car? We would love to see some info
    on it!

Mike

7. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Having looked through the image on the link and at my car, I am looking at the instalation of the alternator. The image shows the alternator mounting to both ends of the casting, if I am reading it right. Mine looks to be mounted off only the lower part of it.

What do you think?

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Mike, Mark's car is 311 right hand drive black cream automatic sold new by Citroen Slough 14/4/75.

It was owned by Patrick Martin and later by Arvid Bergvall a Swede who resided in the UK, in 1995 he sold it to Jack Levy who sold it in 1997 to the owner whom Andy Heywood sold it for to Mark.

See posts 6822, 23 and 24 page 273 of this forum dated April 16 of last year

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/maserati-khamsin.187217/page-273#post-145328338

My photos below of it at McGraths from December 23 2016 are barely worth posting as the car was wedged between other cars in storage.

Hopefully Mark will eventually paint it its original celeste color, a stunning color:)

Best regards,

Marc

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wait till he gets to the alignment of the pulleys issue for these belts! :eek: snap snap snap snap "Oh I think something's broken in the engine!".

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn here but I think they mean idler pulley no?

11. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Series1/Bob/Marc...

Bob, I was wondering that to, which is why I referenced it as the pulley by bolt 17...
    I should have referenced it as the idler arm pulley, so good correction!

Series1, so you think you might be missing item 47 (alternator bracket) or item 52 ??
    Also, please post some overall pictures of the car.. We would love to see more.

Marc, thanks for the info on Series1 Khamsin. I apologize I can barely remember yesterday,
    let alone last year. It looks like a very nice car and agree, it would/will look stunning in blue!
    I'm just not sure about those bumpers though! ;) (a running point of discussion between
    Marc and I) !

Unfortunately, my car is off being painted, but I will take a look at what pictures I have and see what
    may be helpful in posting... I will be checking on it next week, so hopefully by then we will have this
    mystery resolved or at least where I can check closely against my car!

Mike

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich

So, I did a quick check and found the following picture of my car in my files. In comparing the
    relative positions of the alternator in the pic Series1 provided and the one below, they look very,
    very close!

13. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Hello,
    If you need to see where everything goes, I have #393 in pieces near Northampton.
    The upper holes in the bracket holding the alternator are for the air pump on US versions.
    Send me a private message and we can talk.
    Regards,
    Neil.

14. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi All, thanks for the help. My car is in storage at the minute. I have gone through the 100 photos I took of the engine bay and, of course, I don’t have anything that shows it. I’ll try and get to the car at the weekend to see it I’ll let you know what I find.

Neil I’ll pm you as I’d definitely be keen on seeing your car.

Mark

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Mark, Neil good luck with this, also could you please provide us with more photos of both cars and Neil history of yours?

Many thanks in advance!

Marc

16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Agree with Marc... I am looing forward to seeing more pics of both cars...

Mike

17. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Incidentally, McGraths believed the original colour to be Celeste but it was in fact Dark Green with a white interior, according to Maserati.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Mark, ahah very good duly noted, corrected.

Now regarding the interior cream or white...do you think your interior is original? It would be odd for someone to take the trouble to change from white to cream...thanks for your thoughts.

MONACO HISTORIC GRAND PRIX MAY 11-13:

I will be there from Friday morning to Sunday evening to write articles on the races and auctions and hope to see some of you there? Who is coming?
    Please PM contact numbers those who are. Tomorrow I am on the road all day.

See you there:)!

Marc

19. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    I think the leather has been coloured to cream. I can’t imagine the white weathered very well.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes that makes sense, thanks.

21. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    A beautiful Khamsin at yesterday's Sports Cars Spring Meeting in Oslo. The car has been nicely restored by McGrath and looked absolutely stunning. Image Unavailable, Please Login

au-yt and 71Satisfaction like this.
  22. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito

Attached Files:

au-yt, JulianMerak and 71Satisfaction like this.
  23. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    HAs anyone looked at the Khamsin posted today at BHCC?

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all:

-Gabriel: thank you for the photos of 380 owned by S.K. who bought it in Manchester UK August 22,2011. It had spent some time in the middle east and a lot of time in a private collection in dry storage, it had been repainted red and is now back to its original celeste chiaro.
    He came to KHAMSIN QUARANTA with it in 2012 coming down from Norway with the car train that arrives in Switzerland.

-Mike: thank you for that no this is another one coming out of the woodwork, always great to know one more survived and no I don't recognize it at all. What is clear from the obvious neglect, missing fuel trap door -broken off due to rough handling, missing hood badge (pilfered no doubt) is that it sat neglected, unsafely stored and in a humid environment, I fear there will be a damp smell. It clearly has sat a long time and will take a comprehensive five figure check to sort out so will end up consting more than the two 5 other speed available in the US now.

If someone can retrieve the chassis number that would be most helpful: there is a very awkward 9 hour difference between the west coast and France where I am. I will then get its delivery details from Maserati Classiche.

Best regards,

Marc

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Correcting a sentence after the ten minute correction time expired:

It clearly has sat a long time and it will take a comprehensive five figure sum to sort out so it will end up costing more than the two other 5 speed Khamsins available in the US now.