Jacking a mondial t | FerrariChat

Jacking a mondial t

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, May 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I noticed when I jack up rear from jack points that the front of the car starts coming up off the wheels. If I take out the gear box is there a better way to jack the car up? Where is a safe place to put jack stands? Any advice?

Thanks
    Jerry

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    BTW, yes, the side jack point does jack up the whole side.

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks man, went and bought the same jack and crossmember setup this morning. Is that about how high the rear needs to be to get the gearbox out?

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks I’ve been reading that thread already. I started tonight and just took airbox and stuff out. Will start jacking it up tomorrow and taking wheels and bumper off.

7. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

From what I have done I would recommend you to not lift the car to remove the gearbox.
    I have lift it to remove all the bolts and stuff to remove but then I put back the car on its wheel and the gearbox was naturally sitting on a pallet and I just had to pull it.
    I initially wanted to lift and drop it on my jack but I don't want to think at the mess I could I have done.
    Unless you have a transmission jack I think it is way safier to remove the gearbox with the car on the ground.

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  9. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    What you will also notice is that the clearance between the transmission and the trunk panel is very small.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

When I first tried with a jack, I remarked that I was unable to remove clear the transmission from the engine studs because of the trunk.
    I managed to do it by letting the powertrain tilt backward once the transmission mount is removed and by not supporting the transmission. By this way the transmission can be pulled from the studs.

Sure with the kind of jack you are showing it is going to be more stable but I don't know if it will be easy to do because you have to pull the transmission from the studs and at the same time not lifting it otherwise you will hit the trunk. I am not an expert in this kind of handling and may be someone will tell you it is better to use a jack.
    But I am very happy with the way I did it and if I have to do it again I will do it the same way because it is safe, quick and easy!
    And then there is also the point that if the car is at an angle, it will be harder to put the transmission back on the studs, which also goes for not lifting the car according to me!

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for the info.