Blue Flags ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Blue Flags ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Beau365, Oct 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Or " come on, get that Mclaren out of da way!"

2. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Or " These F'ing Manors are not moving out of da way!!!!"

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    After spending millions they will invent a new "pink" flag and it will be used as follows:
    1. held stationary for a car if lapping car is approaching and soon close enough to attempt a pass.
    2. waved for a car if lapping car is about to overtake.

;)
    Pete

4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

:D that will be sorely missed.

BUT, now that drivers can only move once off their line while defending, passing should be even more straightforward for good drivers now as it was for good drivers of the past before flaggage.

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    F1 eyes blue flag axe

MAY 21, 2018

F1 is considering abolishing blue flags.

The blue flag system was introduced in 1995, requiring lapped drivers to get out of the way of cars on the lead lap.

But it is unpopular among many drivers and fans, with some purists thinking passing backmarkers is a fundamental skill.

"We know many people don't like it, which is why we're discussing whether it should be abolished," FIA race director Charlie Whiting is quoted by Auto Bild.

"But we have to think about a decision like that thoroughly. It's just an estimate, but I think the chance is below 50 per cent," he added.

william likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They may also consider banning rear view mirrors perhaps, since they are the reason for the aggressive defensive driving used by some.

I guess that if a driver doesn't know he is about to be passed, he wouldn't start swerving, changing side of the track, blocking, etc... to frustrate a faster competitor.

Just look how well Verstappen make use of his mirrors !!!! A lack of mirrors may lead to cleaner overtaking.

7. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Pleased to see that F1 might return to a proper challenge for the fastest drivers and allow them to showcase their race craft in passing slower cars.

Also good to know they occasionally peek at the controversial and free thinking contributions on FChat :D

8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

When Charlie Whiting starts apologising to Lewis it's time to banish blue flags.

Why is Charlie apologising ? It's not his fault.

9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

daytona355 likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Saw the vid.

Ocon's team does tell him "blue flags to Hamilton on the straight" but since he's on fresh SS tires he pulls away from Hamilton and Ocon replies " no more blue flags?" which you don't see anymore. I did'nt here Lewis complain on team radio about blue flags to Ocon since he probably knew Ocon's situation and saw Ocon was pulling away.

Incidently, you also here Max knowing Ocon is pushing and Horner saying that Ocon is on a fresh set of supers right before the incident.

crinoid and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think you are overtly argumentative in this discussion.
    If the stewards didn't find anything to say about "Ocon ignoring blue flags", what do you wish to prove?
    Hamilton, who had a good idea of what was going on, didn't feel the need to complain then, or after the race, so why should you? .
    Blue flags only apply if you are caught by a faster car and about to be lapped, not if you are faster and pulling away !

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Passing backmarkers is part of racing, and it shouln't be made easier for the leaders, IMO.

If they are so good, or benefit from a better car, would should life be made easier for the leaders when they come across backmarkers?

Also, to stamp out defensive driving, I would do away with rear view mirrors altogether. .

I think it was Ken Tyrrell who once scolded one of his drivers for having lost several places after having got out of the way to let the leaders by:

"You looked into your mirrors and got intimidated, didn't you?", he said. "Next time don't look at them and do your own race. If they are faster than you, it's up to them to find a way to pass you."

I agree with that.

13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes, although Ocon ignores 7 blue flags before the straight.

What do the rules state ?

Patrick Dixon and daytona355 like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

See post #111 for an answer.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Understood but this is Lewis. Had he made a beef about it over team radio then Toto would eventually lodge a complaint to Charlie and so on and so forth but it did'nt happen.

MB and the FIA did'nt make it an issue after the race either. I have not seen any reports of this situation but if I do, I will post.

16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Source: Formula1.com

Blue flag
    Warns a driver that he is about to be lapped and to let the faster car overtake. Pass three blue flags without complying and the driver risks being penalised. Blue lights are also displayed at the end of the pit lane when the pit exit is open and a car on track is approaching.

How about Seven ? :D

daytona355 likes this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Thanks.
    It's an odd one as they are usually hot on ignoring blue flags.

daytona355 likes this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yes it is(an odd one) but no one's complaining so no harm no foul.

william likes this.
  19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Possibly because Hamilton was quite pleased with the net result of not passing Ocon

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The blue flags didn’t apply to Ocon because he was FASTER than the lead cars.

william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, but some people here don't seem to get that ...

crinoid likes this.
  22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Who were the blue flags for ?

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Give it a rest will you ...

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think by default they’re put out for any lapped car. However they don’t hold any weight if the lapped car is on pace or faster than the lead cars. This is why a lapped car allowed legally to unlap himself. Do you see in color?

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  25. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    The trouble is that this is a different era: the cars rely much more on aerodynamics, they are faster and the drivers are much more aggressive and much less worried about death or serious injury. At Monaco the race would stagnate once the lead car reached the back of the field.