2018 488 Spider Paint Correction/Ceramic Coating | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2018 488 Spider Paint Correction/Ceramic Coating

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ForzaGC, May 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what they charging you for the wrap? and are you doing ceramic on top?

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It's $4500 for the whole car and no I am not doing the ceramic on top.

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats a fair price. got ya on the ceramic - nice to know atleast one person is as crazy as me

wrs likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had my RR done as soon as I got it last January. It's been through mesquite bushes that scratched the paint on my other RRs and you can't tell a thing. The car is really easy to wash, no soap needed. Just rinse with water and wipe it down. Drying is a breeze and no problem when using a towel since there are no issues with paint swirl.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

William , that’s very reasonable. Make sure they complete the wrap without edges. Best, Kirk

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The tech at this place is very good. I had to wait two weeks for this appointment. I called for it the day I bought the car.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sorry, on the RR you did ceramic on the paint or the film?

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No ceramic, just the film, completely satisfied with the result. Bird droppings clean off with ease, even after they dry up.

boobernackle likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oh ok got ya. yes i agree. i have been very satisfied with film. i have been unimpressed by ceramic.

boobernackle likes this.
  10. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    Really.

11. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    A whole Ferrari car PPF by a professional installer shouldn't cost you more than $3,500, assuming it'll be done at once. Anything more is a Ferrari tax.

No idea why people would put PPF on a car and put ceramic coating as well.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    4500 to 6500 is standard up here in nyc area - the pagani guys are paying 15k for a full wrap

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i was overly harsh but clearly what people are buying isnt well understood as per my quotes from the big 3 ceramic shops.

14. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    I’m sure it varies a bit per location, but in the UK at least, it’s double that for a proper full car job, regardless of the name on the badge (and, for me at least, worth it for the five years worth of peace of mind on my triple layer paint!).

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    By some no, but please don’t tar us all with the same brush, especially when you prefix it with “literally”!

ttforcefed likes this.
  16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

This is nonsense. Maybe for a halfassed job it is.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i took it for granted if someone read the thread it wasnt your comment i took an issue with. Apologies i offended you.

BlueIn2Red likes this.
  18. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Many folks are using the PPF on just the front end of the car and then ceramic coating the rest of the car. While they are at it they ceramic coat the film too.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    why not wrap the whole thing if the price of the wrap + ceramic is greater than the cost of the entire wrap?

boobernackle likes this.
  20. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    This is actually the first time I've read of someone putting PPF over a ceramic coating.

Jim

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #46 ttforcefed, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    That's surprising. It makes the most logical sense. The ceramics are clearly described to bond to the paint.

Also the ceramic websites talk about how they enhance and deepen the look of the paint - wldnt you be totally forgoing this important factor by putting the ceramic on the film?

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Im not 100% sure on putting a ceramic over a film but many swear by it. But a film over ceramic I believe many of the film manufacturers don't recommend putting the film over ceramic as adhesion issues can arise. Xpel also has another liquid coating to go over their film so as to make water bead easier and just blow dry the car instead of using a cloth

boobernackle likes this.
  23. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Ceramic coating needs to be exposed to have any effect. Let’s take one marketed benefit of ceramic coating: hydrophobic properties.

Just think about it: how is a coating supposed to give you the hydrophobic property if it is underneath a film?

Either way, I encourage anyone to try ceramic coating a car before judging if it’s worth it. I was initially suspicious but I was able to see the difference first hand.

I currently have an odd combination of coated cars with film, cars with film but no coating, cars with coating but no film, and a car with nothing. Difference in how they react to the environment is very noticeable.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the point is it might make sense to use ceramic or film. i vote film because all of the ceramic ive used as been no better than traditional. I also wldnt want something put on my paint that needs to be wet sanded off. Im as a big a fan as anyone when it comes to burning money on cars but doing ceramic over film cld be the dumbest thing ive ever heard of, especially on a ferrari that might see 2k miles in a year. On a dd that is left outside 365 i cld maybe see doing the ceramic over the film, but all you are really doing is a favor for whoever washes ur car. I cld also see ceramic over film if it was wifeys car going through the car wash, but then again does anyone really care about wifeys car that much?

so whats the reason for putting ceramic over film? the answer cant be it makes the paint look better since the film is in between. So the reason is it makes it easier to wash the car?

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and maybe the OP can offer the rational he was given as to why ceramic went under the film (which i actually agree with and makes sense given what the big 3 ceramics describe at theirs sites)