458 Battery Tender Location | FerrariChat

458 Battery Tender Location

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by agentbb007, May 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agentbb007

agentbb007 Karting

Sep 25, 2009
    USA
    Full Name:
    Strider
    Do you run your battery tender directly out the passenger door? I've traditionally ran it out the lowered window but want to keep the window closed and run it out the door but it seems a bit pinched (see photo). Where do you guys run your tender? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's designed to run out the door - have a closer look and you will see a little spot for it. However, it's as dumb as it gets ;)

jm2 likes this.
  3. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I do it out the door as you show it and never had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FerrariFR33458 likes this.
  4. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I do window if its for winterizing, leave a little crack and cover over top. Otherwise door for day to day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Door. You can feel where it sits and the cable doesn't pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. agentbb007

agentbb007 Karting

Sep 25, 2009
    USA
    Full Name:
    Strider
    Great thanks for the replies, gives me confidence to keep it as it is and close the door on it.

7. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Hi on my 458 i run my ctek cable out through the lower part of the door no signs of it being trapped.

8. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Move the cord to the extreme front of the lower passenger door. There is a sweet spot there so when the door is closed it will easily move side ways and back & forth. Initially it is helpful to push the cordage totally forward with door partially opened, holding the cord forward shut the door. Should move back & forth with no binding.

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I found that it pinches the cord when trying to put it under the door, so I've been putting it through the window. Maybe I'll try again to see if I could find a spot where it doesn't pinch.

10. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I know this is an old thread, but......I've been putting the charger cord through the window but now the window whistles above 60. So, I'm trying to put it where the owner's manual shows it at the extreme forward part of the passenger door, right in the corner. The only way I found I could manage that was to thread the battery attachment socket forward of the door hinges with the door open. Then as the door closes I seem to able to slide it into that corner with no pressure on it. Has anyone else done this? When I tried to slide it forward without going behind the hinges, it wouldn't make it to the corner and would pinch about where agentbb007 shows above. I did not find a groove or channel that looked like it was meant for it. This was the only way I could get it to the corner. Thoughts? (Please excuse how filthy the car is, it's pollen season!) Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    The front few inches of the passenger door is fine. It does not pinch based on my experience.

12. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I’ve been using the window as well, because my 2015 458 pinched it when it was at the lower front corner of the door. I will try again, but I’m not hopeful...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    I was able to avoid the pinching and get it all the way into the corner. I slid the part that plugs in under the dash behind, as in forward, of the hinges. When you pull it in to plug it in, the cord drops to that corner. When you close the door it's forward of the door in that corner like the photo in the owner's manual shows. Seems to move freely in that spot. Now I have to address the whistling that I caused by running it through the passenger window!

14. agentbb007

agentbb007 Karting

Sep 25, 2009
    USA
    Full Name:
    Strider
    Wow that’s crazy your window is whistling I had the same whistling issue with my passenger window! Maybe it’s caused by keeping the window cracked. As for the tender I just pull it towards about where my picture shows and just smash the door on it I’ve been doing that for a few years and it’s still working fine. And it would be much cheaper to buy a new tender then pay to fix the window again. I don’t remember how much the dealer charged me to fix the window but it was thousands.

fazooley likes this.
  15. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Open the window in your Garage and install the Tender cable thru the Open window.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  17. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    I can't use the open window method during pollen season. I like the beige but would end up with a yellow interior. I think the whistling was caused by leaving my window a half inch down for the cord. It kind of indented the weatherstripping in that spot after a while. My plan is to slide some felt padding behind the weatherstripping in that spot to bolster it, drive friskily, avoid prosecution, and see if it still whistles.

18. Widebody_Don

Widebody_Don Karting

Apr 16, 2021
  19. 1919A4

1919A4 Karting

Apr 21, 2011
    Saint Petersburg FL
    Lol. That's funny.

20. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    I have not tried running the primary side of the CTEK through the door gap as in Widebody's photo, but I find that the first (least open) door detent position is where the cable slides easiest into and out of the corner.

21. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Just an update. Now that I run the cord through the forward lower corner of the passenger door, the whistling window fixed itself. It definitely did not like having the cord run through the partially open window. Two or three days after I stopped doing that the whistle sealed itself. Side note: Running the cord through that forward lower corner of the door, as pictured in my previous April 2020 post, makes it much easier to use the car cover properly.

22. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    This may be a stupid question, but is there a similar spot to run the cord out on the driver's door? I can't get to my car right now to check, and it's not really possible to open the passenger door in the garage due to a lack of space. Thanks for the help!

23. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    Yes, exactly the same spot on the drivers door works fine. I do it often. In one of my garages I have the same issue as you. I leave the tender next to where I park. When I pull in, I open the door and pull the secondary cord across under my legs and plug it in, then get out and slide the cord to the front of the door. plenty of length in the cord to leave the tender on the floor as usual.

Dragster likes this.
  24. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    rob5819 likes this.
  25. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017