McLaren 720S vs Ferrari 488 GTB 1/4 Mile Drag Racing | FerrariChat

McLaren 720S vs Ferrari 488 GTB 1/4 Mile Drag Racing

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Jas, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Wow, the Ferrari got utterly destroyed :eek:

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yeah the 720S appears to be an animal but these are not really drag race cars.

Just a generation ago sports car 0-60 and quarter mile speeds were not much considered

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What do you mean by a generation ago? When I watch top gear from the mid 2000's they always mention 0-60 times and top speed first (and they were pathetic by today's standards obviously). I do however, think that the Veyron changed the way we view performance. It's numbers were so absurd and beyond everything that it created a super car performance arms race that we are still in the middle of today.

4. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I completely agree these are not drag cars. Such a test is however one relevant and interesting measure of ability. Just as a track time would be.

JAM1 likes this.
  5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I suspect the track time results would be similar drivers/conditions being equal.

6. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I am in no doubts the 720S would be many seconds ahead of the 488.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm somewhat biased because I'm a 720s owner, but I really believe the 570 is the McLaren competitor with a 488 - not a 720s. And just as Pista is the track weapon version of the 488, the 570LT will be the track weapon version of the 570. While it's possible the Pista will end up slightly besting the 720s a class up, when the 720LT comes out I think we know what the result will be.

paulchua and Gmaccormack like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think you are 100% correct but I doubt the Pista will top the 720 especially if fitted with the appropriate tires. The 750LT wont be out for 2+ years, there will be no answer to this from anyone from a performance standpoint. But who cares about performance when you spend $300k to $400k on a sports car? Haha

9. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I understand the Pista is heavier and has less power than 720S. I'd be staggered if the Pista beats the 720S, with same tyres.

I agree with Jam, the Pista will compete with the 570LT.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said. The latest/newest car is usually faster.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The 720S will likely still take the Pista in a straight line, although hopefully it's close. But around a track the Pista should be the car that takes it. More downforce, race focused. Now when the 750LT arrives, forget it.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been a HDPE instructor for 20+ years, and I can count on 1 hand owners of anything exotic (if we could get them to a track), that should be let loose with much more than 100hp.... let alone 600--700+. I hope most of the owners enroll in driving schools, rather than just scare themselves or just point these things in a straight line and pray. There is just so much more to explore in the performance envelope than just going straight.

Every time I hear, "this car is faster than that car around 'X' track". When corners are involved, the variable behind the wheel is the real difference. An experienced driver/racer in a Golf would probably beat any punter in any exotic.

Makuono, 95spiderman, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree. As I spent several minutes adjusting the seat, steering wheel, mirrors, etc in the last car I test drove, the salesman commented " looks like you've done a few driving events which is rare to see". I understand not every driver does, but it did make me laugh thinking about allowing someone to drive a 700+ hp car without any real performance driving experience. Pretty scary when you think about it. Every sports car I've purchased over the last 15 or more years has been taken to a track before I really laid into it on the street... if for no other reason than to understand how it will react while driving with anger or evasively to avoid an accident. On the other side, YouTube is full of the ones that automatically believe the keys to a car unlocks their true ability as a race car driver.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Fun to watch people get lapped in Dodge Neons.

15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    As a 15 yr hpde driver amd 5 yr instructor, I agree the rare exotic that shows up is usually driven at 4/10s. I have no problem with that either. What annoys me is they never give a point by to faster cars! Anyone else notice that? I gave up on fca events after being stuck at street speed behind enzos, 333sp, etc for lap after lap.

sainthoo likes this.