Old type Wiper blades refills | FerrariChat

Old type Wiper blades refills

Discussion in '308/328' started by Furanku, May 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I recently found the right wipers for my 76 308 GTB, but, as one could expect, rubber was completely dry and I was really afraid they would decompose if I ever needed them to actually wipe some water. To my biggest surprise, it turns out that my company still sells rubber refills that do match those wiper blades. The shape is slightly different, but they will fit perfectly. You can keep the original metal vertebra, and just change the rubber part, sliding it through one of the openings in the vertebra. Very easy to do, the only thing you'll need to do is to cut the rubber at the right length, using the original rubber as a model. New rubber is on the top of the first picture, and left on the second.

I'm not sure you can find it outside of Japan, but it should be available through some international sellers like Rakuten or maybe eBay. The maker is PIAA, and the part number is WGW56H. Shouldn't cost more than 5USD a piece. I hope it can help some of you getting usable wipers again. Wipers on a Ferrari are like seat belts: you hope you'll never have to use them, but they can save your life! ;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Speaking of wiper blade, what does the original wiper blade holder looks like, I mean the metal piece that holds the rubber blade for the QV?

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Cool! Thanks for posting. Here in the USA, Anco U-18R blade refills are also a close match to the originals.

I believe the original blades look like the ones that Furanku posted. They were made by Carello and use two wire-like bars as the main body rather than a solid piece of spring steel like most cars. You can see the two "wires" in Furanku's first photo.

4. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Brian! Mine has the solid non wire type:( so guess I have to source for a pair, anyone?

5. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I was always under the impression that "wire" wipers were replaced by "normal" wipers at some point during the production run, but looking at QV parts diagrams and contemporary GTO pictures, it looks like it's possible that all 308 were originally fit with wire wipers. If anyone has information on this, I'd be happy to read about it!

Mike, I have spent some time searching for those on the Net, it looks like they are nowhere to be found. Silver ones are easier to get, maybe buying silver ones and respraying them in black might be an option?

wizig likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It is entirely possible. The QV parts diagram shows wire type (and my Oct 83 QV has wire type), but that doesn't say every car has.

The reality is that it shouldn't matter, probably not even for concours judging. I am sure they would be considered a replaceable "wear" item.

… I recall somebody (Toronto area?) selling some NOS a few years ago on FChat.

7. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
  8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone knows what the original wiper blade are for the 84/85 QV? I was told they change the wire type during 1981 to the Bosch type, is this correct?

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My 1981 308 has Bosch arms and blades, I don’t know if that’s original.

Amazon has replacement blades, with all the original looking metal, for not a lot of money. They look and work great.

Matt

10. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    Mike, I have an original set that i just replaced. Ill send you photo. They look similar to the ones
    Furanku has.

11. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    This is very helpful as i just went through hard time finding replacements. Ended up ordering from Ferrari Atlanta.The ones they sent me are "OEM" but look totally different than the original ones i took off the car. So i kept both. :). The original ones have metal frame, the "OEM" replacements are plastic.

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes please, I appreciate that!

13. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    miketuason likes this.
  14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  15. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Jbrauer, those are indeed the same as mines, but I believe the rubbers have already been changed, and the original plastic clips that hold the rubber in place are missing, replaced by metal clips. As you can see on my pictures, my set is missing one of those clips, so one end of one wiper looks like yours.

Jbrauer likes this.
  16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  17. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
  18. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    Nice! Appreciate info.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    No. I just ordered them and they are metal.

Matt

20. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    Thanks! Good to know.

Smiles likes this.
  21. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have a pair of Carello wire blades that I am refinishing in black, and would like to find a source for the plastic clips that hold the rubber in place (3 of my 4 are broken). Metal clips would be fine. Does anyone know of a source?

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The wire supports were for sure "anti lift" as the current plastic heads on my Cadillac came with a "hold down" spoiler!!
    On long low glass like ours its a real factor.

I recall on my Trans Am the glass was so large a lot of properly sized blades would not follow the glass properly.
    RainX was surprisingly bad.....

I recall JRV wanting to "borrow one side" and it might be the only time I told him "leave that alone".....I would think a salvage place like FerrParts could probably source the original wire bracket style???

23. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    To be clear, I'm asking if anyone knows a source for the end caps or clips (plastic or metal) shown against my Carello blade in the following photo. These are also seen mounted in Furanku's OP picture. They work with "old style" 2-piece inserts which are a rubber strip and a flat piece of steel. The flat steel piece slides into the Carello blade and is locked on by bending the small tabs at one end of the blade. Then the rubber strip slides into the steel piece and is held in place by these end clips. These clips match up with the ends of the Carello blades for a nice finished look. I know I can get modern 1-piece inserts with built-in squeezable locking clips, but want to first see if this old 2-piece style with end caps/clips is still available. Anyone know?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Alex308qv likes this.