Ferrari 550/575M pulley notches | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550/575M pulley notches

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by yves8174, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Right! That's the difference between an ignition trigger on the lower end and a trigger on the upper end.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not so on the 575M/612, though, which have COP ignition and no wasted spark.

3. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    How do they trigger?

4. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    It looks like 575 still has two optical sensors on the clutch housing. How do they avoid the wasted spark? Sensor on cam too? Curious about that. Never studied a COP system.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Yes they have a trigger on the right bank inlet cam in addition to the two sensors at the flywheel.

I think my assumption regarding the two ecu's reading these 3 triggers identifies to them which is the firing stroke after the first revolution. I can find no other markings listed in the WSM to differentiate between both TDCs physically, even though the manual states that piston 1 should be at tdc on that stroke

6. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Complete phase sensor? #33? Wonder what the point of avoiding wasted spark is? Seems some COP systems use it? Not enough time to charge COP?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    That's it. No idea, outside of my knowledge base, keen to learn more though.

At some point I need to delve into the workings of the Bosch 7 system, but its all witchcraft at the moment to me while I just nail the engine together.

8. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    And why is the cam sensor not enough? Why flywheel sensors too? Very strange. Perhaps an evelotution and not a brand new design?

9. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I had another good read of the WSM and it keeps saying to set tdc to piston 1 at the explosion stage, but never says which of the two tdc that is. However in order to establish the correct tdc the manual goes on to say fit the special degree wheel and it should be at zero degrees with all 4 cams aligned to the timing notches.

Looking at the degree wheel in the pic it looks as if there is a screw on the top which I can only think seats into the groove of the woodruf key on the crank to correctly align the wheel to the crank, so in that scenario if the crank was 180 degrees out then the gauge wont fit onto the crank properly.

I am at my workshop Sat, so will take a look at the nose of the crank to see if the woodruf key groove is at 12 oclock when piston 1 is at tdc for either of the two rotations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    CribbJ (John) has fully researched this nad is the inventor of the MSW 550 COP conversion. Let me tell you it is sweet! COP's on a 550 is the only way to go. He can tell you exactly how the system works stock and cop.

11. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I’ve not done this but I have read you have to set the degree wheel TDC with a dial guage or a dead stop. Basically you go forward and back of TDC and split the difference on the degree wheel to find TDC. Then you move the degree wheel pointer to that spot at 0 degrees. Google it for video examples.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is a good way that works close but not ferrari's way for exact ferrari specs.

13. yves8174

yves8174 Rookie

Nov 11, 2011
    Well well, did use the matchbook trick.
    It works ok to block the camshafts for removal. It did not work for me when torquing the camshaft pulleys back to 98Nm...
    So I used the camlock tool from a rover engine to block the pulleys in place.

It is maybe needed to put 3-4 pieces of papers under each of the caps to be completely sure that nothing is moving.