430 coming up on 30k miles... what to do? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 coming up on 30k miles... what to do?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Robby, Apr 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    prices seem reasonable to me. i'd just get everything done for peace of mind

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Didnt mean to come across as having an attitude, though that happens when its only text but to smooth over any misunderstanding I do apologize. however I know there are several Ferrari dealers that now have level 3 techs who are trained to open and replace the faulty shaft speed sensors, which are the main culprit of failures in the first gen DCT. Boardwalk Ferrari seems to be one of the better places for DCT issues. You would be correct though if there are any other parts that go "bad" getrag claims they are not serviceable and a replacement is generally the repair. There are a lot of threads in the california section where ferrari tech's have shared photos of what is involved in the speed sensor repairs. Your dealer may not have a level 3 tech trained in DCT repairs which is highly possible. If that is the case it might be money ahead to have the car shipped from your area to the nearest Ferrari dealer that can conduct repairs. Also the big claim now is that the new or refurbished DCT have updated parts that should eliminate the failures.

I hope this clears up where i was comming from, and i now understand that where you are the Ferrari Dealer wont repair the DCT.

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The first time I did anything I had never done it before.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Thanks for that info. I appreciate your response. That is good info... down here it seems the dealers (3 of them SF ) aren’t willing to repair, only replace.. very common from what I have seen. Really good that boardwalk is doing that.. I wasn’t aware of that.

I’m not really the expert in DCT cars but ask me about F430 and I have the answer. Lol.

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well I fell down the DCT rabbit hole once my wife flat told me she didn’t like getting in and out of the f430/360 and when we looked at a 488 she got in and pretty promptly got out saying NOPE!! But upon renting a California for a week loved it. So I had to research the issues of the model ( let’s
    Face it every model has an issue) and the DCT sensor failures caused me some serious concern at first. But if you get anything 2015 and up you shouldn’t have the issue. That’s where I’m at now is deciding on weather or not to purchase the 13-14 Cali 30 or the 15 up Cali T.

It’s really too bad my Wife doesn’t like the f430, there is one local that’s finally listed at a realistic price and was traded by a member here for a California the local dealer had that I’d seriously consider pulling the trigger on. If a minor wreck or minor flood f430 came along at a decent price I’d consider picking it up to tinker with the wife hating it not withstanding. I really like the looks of the 360 but really like the performance the f430 delivers. Will be taking a trip in a month or so with my daughter (she’s my car but kid) and will be renting a 458 spider. I know I’ll probably be in love with that car but I think that the California is a reasonable compromise to keep the wife happy.

6. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    All of them are great cars. I’ll keep my 430 forever at this point. I have Put a ton of miles on her but he is maintained immaculately. I have redone every seal, clutch, sticky’s, F1 sorted, anything that comes up so maintain. Super clean and I love the car. I will Eventually get a 458 or 488 but I will keep the 430. These cars are a bit termpermenal but once sorted they are great. The Cali and Cali T are great cars as well. For a touring car they are the best and fast as hell.. especially the T. My independent shop modifies the Cali T to like almost 700 hp I think... crazy. They warranty it too from what i understand

7. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Man, I would rather have an individual do it as I have seen better work performed by individuals than dealerships or "shops"...it is crazy the amount of things they will miss, misquote, and you end up having to redo it all over again or find someone that knows EXACTLY what they are doing. There are only a few shops here and there that are good at what they do - and then you have to worry about them being reasonable, as sometimes they get plenty of work, and higher quotes, means that they will get enough business to keep them busy.

8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The f430 was at the top of my list about 8 months ago when I decided once my truck was paid off I was getting a toy car. It still holds a special place in my heart but I have to admit once we rented the first Cali T I realized just how nice that car is. We’ve rented the Cali t several times since and I sure don’t under stand why it gets a bad rep from a lot of folks. It’s a very comfortable roomy ride with a good amount of flair. But I think you are right the f430 is just a great car if you get one that’s sorted or get it to that point. I think I still may wind up with one at some point.

Usually I shy away from salvage exotic cars but have recently been tracking salvage f430’s. I figure if I can get one at the right price who cares how long it takes to bring it back to life, once I’m done I’ll never probably part with it and I not care how many miles I pile one since it’s already a branded title. It all boils down to how much of my disposable income I’m willing to part with at any given time I guess.