Battery maintainer issues | FerrariChat

Battery maintainer issues

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Labman, May 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Guys...I know there are a bunch of threads on this but I want to get the latest and greatest maintainer out there without scrolling through old threads. My OEM stock Ferrari unit is not doing its job. After two weeks of not starting my car, the engine hesitated and then started. Battery is new. I have the unit in the attached picture. It’s from model year 2011. What are you guys using as a replacement? I also attached a pic of the battery I installed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton

3. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Hi,i use a ctek mxs 5.0 on my 2011 458 it is far superior to the Ferrari supplied maintainer ( which is also made by ctek but badged Ferrari.) The 5.0 model can be used on AGM batteries and also has the ability to charge flat batteries, don't ask me how i know.I strongly recommend it.

Labman likes this.
  4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great thanks. So is that the one in the picture? I also have to get the adapter as well so I can plug it into the existing socket. eBay has them.

5. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Hi, that is the mxs7.0 the next charger up from the mxs 5.0.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  7. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You can remove the plug in adaptor from the Stock Ferrari one and plug it into the end of the 7002 rather than buy another

8. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The 7002 cytek has more features than the stock and the 5.0. Yes that is the unit you pictured on Amazon for 116.00. You can remove the stock end adapter plug easily from Ferrari on your stock unit by simply unplugging it then replugging into the new one. That part of the plug ,plugs into your car. I did this with mine recently without issues.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #9 Melvok, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018

Attached Files:

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks guys. I’m just going to keep the OEM unit intact and keep it in the car in case I need it. Ordered the adapter pigtail already. Should be all coming this weekend.

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a strange question.
    I was looking at the instructions for the Ctek 5.0 (similar instructions to other models), and the setting for AGM batteries seems to be confusing.
    The regular car setting says it's for "many AGM batteries", and the AGM setting says it's for "most AGM batteries like Optima and Odyssey".
    What does that mean? What setting is used for batteries other than Optima and Odyssey? What setting is used for Interstate AGM, or Exide AGM?

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I answered my own question by calling Ctek, and Interstate. I posted here to help anyone with the same question.
    The bottom line is that Certain AGM batteries need 14.4V to charge optimally, and others need 14.7V. The only way to know is to ask the battery manufacturer (sometimes printed on battery also). If it needs 14.4V, then it's charged with the regular setting like any old battery. If it needs the 14.7V, then you need to use the AGM setting to get the best performance. Optima and Odyssey need the AGM setting, and the Interstate AGM battery just uses the regular setting. I'm not sure about any other brands.

Labman likes this.
  13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good info Chris. Thanks! Got my CTEK 7002. Now waiting for adapter.

up4speed likes this.
  14. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    If the battery says it's an AGM battery then use the AGM setting. Had the same question answered by Interstate battery center @ replacing with AGM Interstate H6.

Labman likes this.
  15. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    On the instructions it says use SNOWFLAKE MODE (14.7v) for AGM batteries like Optima and Odysseys. Mine (EXIDE) looks like cycling voltage 14.4V. Should I use Snowflake as well?

16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I apparently got a slightly different story (according to battery manufacturer tech support AND Ctek tech support), and to be honest, the first level Interstate tech support guy sounded like he was making stuff up when I called, so I got more technical and he had to send me up to the next level who gave me a more technical answer, and it matched with Ctek guys answer. Both answered as following:

Some AGM batteries require 14.4V for optimal charging, and other AGM's require 14.7 for optimal charging. If it requires 14.4, then the charger should be set to the "regular" setting. If it requires 14.7V, then it requires the AGM setting. However, in the cold weather, all batteries require the Snowflake/AGM setting. In my case, I purchased the 5.0 charger which automatically does the cold weather setting, so I only have to worry about AGM or non-AGM. My Interstate battery happens to be one that should be charged on the "regular" setting. All that said, the Ctek tech support guy said that either setting would technically work without a problem, but for the best results and the healthiest longest lasting battery, one should use the proper settings (as I described above).

Labman likes this.
  17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In your case you need to use the snowflake mode when it gets cold out

Labman likes this.
  18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    My very sophisticated non-oem charger seems never to exceed 13,5 Volt .. and is in very good shape... :D

It has a screen that shows that ... see above posting # 6

Normal CTEKs don't show actual voltage at all :(