308 Front Bumper Adjustment 1979 | FerrariChat

308 Front Bumper Adjustment 1979

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by StevenA., May 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StevenA.

StevenA. Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Adsit
    1979 US Front Bumper. One side is pushed in. Dont know why or how. No sign of impact. I've been reading a lot about this and am a bit confused. Asking for some help:
    1. This is a Pressurized Tube (like a shock) correct? So is it possible it just lost its pressure, like it leaked? Is there also a spring inside? Do they go bad an pressure?
    2. Any way to repair it or do I just get a replacement Shock Tube (does it have a proper name?) I have pulled hard on it and it does not budge. I have not yet removed it to try harder. If I do need to just replace it, is it best to just replace both left and right?
    3. Someone was saying you can adjust it (the Shock Tube), but I did not understand the description and I don't see how. Can you actually adjust it? I want to make sure it isn't just misadjusted before I go all out and remove and replace..

Also, I will mention: I want it back out, I don't want to drill the other side and have both pushed in, looks better yes but I want original.

Any Advice would be helpful, thanks so much. - Steven
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Kind of looks like one of your bumper struts lost pressure, was pushed in and is stuck/ froze in that position. There is no adjustment to them. I would just purchase a used one and change it out. Believe there’s two wire connections, one for each turn signal and two bolts hold the strut on each side of the car. Remove the complete bumper assembly and then replace the strut. Love that color!

3. StevenA.

StevenA. Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Adsit
    Milano, thanks. OK, you were 100% correct. Left side was pushed in and stuck. When it pushed in it torques the right one a bit and it wasnt pushing out. As soon as I released pressure while unbolting the bumper, the Right Side pushed back out another 10mm or so. The left side is dead. He pushes in and does not push back out.

So now....the one that seems good on the Right, I can twist the bracket and it will turn, and if I try to push it in with my force, it moves a tiny bit (half mm)then feels like it hits metal and stops, even clicks a bit. But I know it was pushed in a bit because it released as I unbolted the bumper. So is it bad now to? Shoudl i be able to push it in or no? Should it twist at all when I try?
    And the left side twists and pushes in and pulls back out, obviously its bad.

So I got a new pair from ebay used. They arrived today, look like great condition. They dont push in at all, and they dont twist. They are solid, no movement at all. So which is correct? Should I be able to push it in at all? Should I be able to twist it at all?

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Doubtful you would be able to push a good bumper strut more than a quarter inch with just hand pressure. The idea behind them is to cushion a 3/5 mph impact of a car weighing around 3000 pounds. The struts you can’t push in would indicate they are still charged and in working order.

StevenA. likes this.
  5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi Steven..
    I have a '79 that has these shock tubes or what ever. They're a GM part, at least that's what was on mine. The part number and everything.
    There is no spring, as I drilled mine, released the pressure and pushed them in so they didn't stick out so far. I then re-drilled them and put bolts through the tubes to hold the "new" length.
    If you raise the headlights then take off the headlight bezel and look around, you should be able to see what I'm talking about. They simply bolt to the frame, but are time consuming to remove and replace....and the bumper is HEAVY!
    If you want to maintain originality, maybe you can find a new strut on ebay? Hope this helps.

Don B

6. StevenA.

StevenA. Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Adsit
    Yes, made by "Way-Assauto under General Motors Italian patent N.5 809 5010 814" I took the old ones out and put the new ones in. Prety easy job. 1 hour total, although I had just taken the grill and bumper off two nights ago, so I was prepared. Once the lights are raised, there is plenty of room to work through the Front Grill, no need to go in through the top of the headlights.... So to answer the initial questions I had for future searchers:
    1. Did it leak?. No, im sure it had some small hit, and being on one side, it didnt push back out as it stuck, and then leaked or broke pressure seals. There is no spring inside.
    2. Repair? I don't think so but I will cut the bad one open at some point and see for sure, But I highly doubt its repairable. Set of two used ones seem to run $200 online. Yes I think best to replace both. My right one that seems good, im not sure is good, being torqued at a side angle may have damaged it, hard to tell.
    3. Adjustable? No not at all. Completely fixed. If you drill it and release pressure as described above, you can add the adjustment bolt. It looks better but does eliminate any dampening effect the compressed tube may have had in event of a hit.

So mine is good now. Thanks for the help everyone. Now I can run into things all I want, LOL. (Disclaimer: I am not the one who hit something the first time... dont know how it happened previous owner)

308 milano likes this.
  7. StevenA.

StevenA. Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Adsit
    And Don, Yes, bumper is heavy, hard to hold it up and attach the blinkers with knees and one hand... Regarding GM Tubes. I cant find mention of them being used for any other vehicle. Not by that part number at least.... I wonder if GM has the patent but never used them on anything. It would be good to find out if they ever went on any other vehicle so that people could use that in the future as a cross reference. if they are looking for replacements.