What should I offer? | FerrariChat

What should I offer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LukeWayne, May 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LukeWayne

LukeWayne Rookie

May 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Luke Rawlings
    I’ve been driving by this car on my way to work everyday since I moved a few months ago. I asked the neighbor and he said it’s been sitting there for years.
    I don’t know the year, miles, condition of engine, etc. All I know is it’s a 328, but assuming engine needs complete rebuild; how much should I offer?
    Also; how would fixing a Ferrari like that compare, monetarily speaking, to a 74 porsche 911?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Is that a for real Ferrari? Wheels look very odd. Sitting real high as well, almost like the motor is out of the car.

D

3. LukeWayne

LukeWayne Rookie

May 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Luke Rawlings
    I wondered that myself, I haven’t gotten up close to it, but my first thought was it’s probably a feiro.
    I’m going to stop by and grab the vin number to find out.
    As far as missing engine, that’s very possible. But even if it has the engine, judging by the way they take of their yard, it would probably need a new one anyway.
    If it’s real, my only thought is that they got it from a dead relative a long time ago. I imagine they drove it until something broke and it’s sat since.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. LukeWayne

LukeWayne Rookie

May 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Luke Rawlings
    None of those pictures are any good.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    kit car, a fiero, likely. See the fuel door? Ferraris don't have fuel door there.

Run, Forest, Run really far.

Keith Darby, David_S, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah it’s a kit car.
    Rear glass does not wrap around it’s just flat. Amber tail light should have a back up lense with clear insert, side mirrors look Pontiac. Looks like there’s no frame around the door glass.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
  8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Another dream shattered!:(

9. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    The 328 GTB has a 1/4 of the rear glass covered with the black grill, driver side rear window has the fuel cap...this one does not have the fuel cap there...as stated before it probably is a kit car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daytona355 likes this.
  10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Definitely not real.

4re308 likes this.
  11. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA

I thought you were just making a joke when I read the first part of this thread.

That is certainly a Fiero with terrible mods. No Question

4re308 and Rhoads56 like this.
  12. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    It would have been exhilarating if the OP bought the car for $20k or so, trailered the car home and realized he had a $1k Fiero resto project on his hands...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

13. LukeWayne

LukeWayne Rookie

May 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Luke Rawlings
    Thanks, I kinda figured it was a kit. I honestly can’t remember ever seeing one in person, guess I should have done more research before I started thread.
    Another question; I drive from Louisville, KY to Chicago for work a lot. I have a budget of $125k, and I’m torn between a few things.
    I’m considering a gently used California or Maserati grand turismo. Also had the idea to get a Lexus RS and an early 2000s Ferrari.
    Also, does anyone know what kind of wiggle room they usually have when negotiating prices?
    I’m ok with what they cost, but that doesn’t mean I want to get screwed.
    Thanks.

14. LukeWayne

LukeWayne Rookie

May 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Luke Rawlings
    Lmao, I would never buy something without checking vin number. I’m sure if I would have figured it out anyway if I walked up close to it.

15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    And, those actually have at least a LITTLE bit of value. Certainly an interesting blip of history. But, certainly nothing that came out Maranello.

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

That's actually kind of cool, just wish they didn't try to make it look like a Ferrari.

17. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    To haul it away for them if they pay you $150 to $200......

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’d buy a nice 4.7 granturismo to put the miles on, since they tend to depreciate anyway, but are fantastic cars to drive, and in my experience, very reliable and sound awesome. The savings I’d put as a down payment on a really nice either California, or better still, 458.......... something for the weekend sir?

19. LukeWayne

LukeWayne Rookie

May 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Luke Rawlings
    I might be able to swing that if I got a used grand turismo. What should I look for on a used Maserati?
    I drove a 488 the other day and LOVED it. The owner said he would recommend the 458 as a first Ferrari, but I’m having a hard time finding one that’s worth having that’s under $150k

20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    You won’t get a 458 for that money unless it’s been hammered, you need to be looking at a proper example of one, and I personally would go 2012 onwards as there were a few early mods that ferrari made. Use the spare from the purchase of the maser to make a big downpayment, you won’t regret it

As far as maseratis go, I think you should be looking around 2014/15 cars, most depreciation done (it will still drop, but it will be acceptable), great engine, all the niggles sorted for the model by then, some very good software made its way into engine and gearbox, and most masers are like Ferraris, they don’t get driven far, so using it for a couple years as a daily won’t terrify on mileage when you come to sell it.

I promise you, you won’t regret it when you hear that engine roaring away on the twistys!

Cirorsi likes this.
  21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Even if it was a 328, the current value would not cover an extensive restoration for a car sitting for decades.

22. LukeWayne

LukeWayne Rookie

May 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Luke Rawlings
    What about a 360 spider? They’re reasonably priced, but I’ve heard good and bad things about them.

23. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    For $120k you can get a well sorted, low mileage, very nice 430!

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Okay, I laughed. :)

Even if it wasn't a Fiero kit car, a 328 in that condition would be worth virtually nothing.

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Really? Consider

NLA fog light lenses: $2k
    NLA heater switches: $1K
    Pair of front seats in bad condition: $1K
    Steering wheel, if original in lousy condition: $500
    Engine as rebuildable core: $5K
    Gearbox for spare gear sets: $3K
    Set of straight wheels: $2K
    Any body panels: $500, times 10
    CPU: $500
    Headers:$500
    Suspension pieces, brakes, $1K

Sure, it may take a while to find all buyers but ... worth nothing is harsh.